Are any Aussies using Haverkamp actions?

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

bainp

#1 Postby bainp » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:29 am

https://www.haverkampactions.com/
If there is anyone out there using one, how or through whom did you get / import the action?
Thanks - Philip

bruce moulds

Re: Are any Aussies using Haverkamp actions?

#2 Postby bruce moulds » Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:16 pm

whoever designed that action has obviously never had a split stock.
using the rear tang as a recoil lug is in my opinion to be avoided like the plague for all but very light kicking rifles.
the action might well be more suited to a glue in than a conventionally bedded rifle, and even then given clearance on the rear tang.
bruce.
"SUCH IS LIFE" Edward Kelly 11 nov 1880
http://youtu.be/YRaRCCZjdTM

robbo1990

#3 Postby robbo1990 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:09 pm

bruce moulds wrote:whoever designed that action has obviously never had a split stock.
using the rear tang as a recoil lug is in my opinion to be avoided like the plague for all but very light kicking rifles.
the action might well be more suited to a glue in than a conventionally bedded rifle, and even then given clearance on the rear tang.
bruce.

According to the drawing of the action the recoil lugs are front and rear not just rear.

bruce moulds

#4 Postby bruce moulds » Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:57 pm

that is true, but the rear should not be used as such.
bruce.

saum2

#5 Postby saum2 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:07 am

bruce moulds wrote:that is true, but the rear should not be used as such.
bruce.

Bruce, I have a Hall action that came without a recoil lug so I called Allan Hall in USA (a Benchrest shooter), he was adamant that the rear tang was to be used for recoil. The tang was very thick. I had a pinned recoil lug fitted because i'm old school.
But, the Haverkamp actions look good, recoil area underneath is probably sufficient without using the rear tang area for recoil, or a V block could be made for it.

pjifl

#6 Postby pjifl » Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:54 pm

I do like a more traditional recoil transferring device. The smaller stud type as used by most Barnard rifle builds in conjunction with a V block seems just as good and is very quick and easy to implement to high standards. That all the elements can be machined to close tolerances is important because Gunsmiths have a guaranteed relatively simple and quick route to performance.

If there is a chance of splitting the stock just behind where recoil is applied by a rear action surface, some consideration should also be given to the stock design. A light, hunting type rifle usable either RH or LH, especially with a deep groove for the bolt handle, is a prime candidate for splitting and Bruce's comments become more relevant.

BUT a Target rifle with heavy weight limit can easily be designed to be very strong in this area. That is especially true if it is designed specifically and only for a RH or LH shooter. In this case the off side can be much thicker. Even more strength is assured by using a thumb rest and not wrapping the thumb around the stock. I prefer a thumb rest in a target rifle. Not to press hard on but to lightly position the thumb.

I have no idea why very low mounted actions and intensely downward curved bolt handles and deep bolt cut outs are tolerated in serious target rifles. My first step in rebuilding a serious target rifle on an Omark action if the owner insists on using the Omark is to redo the bolt handle so almost no cutout is needed. Traditional thinking is often blinkered.

Peter Smith.

bruce moulds

#7 Postby bruce moulds » Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:57 pm

if i were using that action, first choice would be to glue it in with clearance on the rear.
glue ins have a lot more to offer than some realize.
there are more powerful forces at work here than some realize.
for conventional bedding i would want a crossbolt behind the front recoil surface, and clearance at the rear.
anything from22 rimfire to 6ppc probably not an issue.
bruce.

pjifl

#8 Postby pjifl » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:09 pm

Well - I hate glue ins. I have seen hidden problems emerge with them and gradually sneak up on the user. And they are a pita to work on and quite unnecessary in my opinion.

One of my Barnards has been very successful at gaining high X counts and that is using a SAUM. It uses a peg made out of a Socket Head Cap Screw which is a very high class of steel - finely fitted to a reamed stainless tube. Why depart from a known good formular.

A fast use LH/RH hunting rifle is a different proposition.

Just my thoughts.

Peter Smith.

Gyro

#9 Postby Gyro » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:41 pm

saum2 wrote:
bruce.

Bruce, I have a Hall action that came without a recoil lug so I called Allan Hall in USA (a Benchrest shooter), he was adamant that the rear tang was to be used for recoil. The tang was very thick. I had a pinned recoil lug fitted because i'm old school.
But, the Haverkamp actions look good, recoil area underneath is probably sufficient without using the rear tang area for recoil, or a V block could be made for it.

What the hell would Allan Hall know ? He's probably been designing actions most of his life !

BATattack

#10 Postby BATattack » Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:31 pm

What do you think of the bedding on this one Bruce? :-)

https://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek077.html

bruce moulds

#11 Postby bruce moulds » Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:25 pm

i put a post here and it has gone.

bruce moulds

#12 Postby bruce moulds » Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:35 pm

hi adam,
the actual bedding which is really the front portion, looks potentially sound in concept. and the design offers a long wheelbase between bags.
the attachment of the butt does not look good for using the rifle to get up off the mound when your knees have gone.
luckily this weak point in that rifle only has to endure minimal recoil, so much so that the thing might never touch a shoulder in recoil.
gene bukys or someone uses a similar rear stock setup, and a plate bolted to the barrel for the front bag.
consistent holding would be necessary, but it could have things to offer if you could be consistent.
the stock will probably not split!
of interest is the scope mounting, enabling the scope to be frozen on optical center, and adjusted with the rings.
bruce.

saum2

#13 Postby saum2 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:42 pm

Gyro wrote:
saum2 wrote:
bruce.

What the hell would Allan Hall know ? He's probably been designing actions most of his life !

Gyro, The Hall action I have is very good but, they are individual actions, nothing is interchangeable with another Hall action.

saum2

#14 Postby saum2 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:44 pm

bainp wrote:Are any Aussies using Haverkamp actions?
https://www.haverkampactions.com/
If there is anyone out there using one, how or through whom did you get / import the action?
Thanks - Philip

Rhino sports will import for you. sales@rhinosport.com.au

bainp

#15 Postby bainp » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:47 am

Thank you for that saum2
Regards - Philip

Return to “Equipment & Technical”