Seb joypod reviews

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Wiseman7187

Seb joypod reviews

#1 Postby Wiseman7187 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:43 am

Hi everyone,

I'm I interested in buying a seb joypod in a few months when stock is back up and was wondering if anyone had any reviews on them?

Good, bad or otherwise.

Will be used for shooting f-standard with a .308.

Hoping some of you have used or know someone who has used one to get an idea if it's worth it or saving a little more for the full see neo or even a seb mini.

Cheers for any info

Daniel

Tim L

Re: Seb joypod reviews

#2 Postby Tim L » Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:12 am

They are very good, they have their quirks (as do all the others) but they do the job very well. With that said they don't do the job as well as a pedestal rest. If you are shooting standard, buy once, cry once and get a pedestal rest.

Lachlan

#3 Postby Lachlan » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:14 am

I bought one and I shoot F open, only because I didn’t want to buy the rest haha. I shoot a 300wm and for such a light bipod handles recoil beautifully. Need to set it up right so it doesn’t jump, ie, how far forward and backward you decide to mount it. Mine came with the pod pad, which was ok, but I soon made ski feet out of angle alloy and bolted it to the bottom of the skis, which now track on a carpet board. Has way better return to aim.

But, if I had my time over again, I’d save extra and buy a joystick rest. It’s hard to be competitive when you don’t have the right gear. But since I have the Joypod already I might build a FTR rig

Wiseman7187

#4 Postby Wiseman7187 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:22 pm

I definitely wanna go with a SEB rest, just can't decide between joypod, neo rest or mini.

I plan to be in f-standard for a few years at least as I am a new shooter, but wanted a rest which will carry through which ever discipline i continue to or if i stay in standard.
The joypod looked good as it's alot less then the new price wise.
But maybe maybe paying the extra and buying the neo will be best
Long term for any discipline.
Except hunting I wouldn't drag that around to hunt but Im not a hunter at this stage.

fapope

#5 Postby fapope » Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:51 pm

I purchased the Joypod years ago, soon after they first came out. They are good and with the right technique one can shoot quite well. They tend to jump a bit on recoil and I would have to adjust back onto the target for most shots. Eventually I went to the Shadetree Bald Eagle Slingshot Rest from BRT. I added F class Feet, Longer Screws and extended the joystick wand. I have never shot better than with the Shadetree/Bald Eagle combination. I see no need to upgrade from this set up. The Joypod hasn't been used since.

Redhawk

#6 Postby Redhawk » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:40 pm

Hi Daniel

I shoot almost exclusively FTR and just love my joypods, both of them. Once you figure the technique, they are awesome. Have seen other FTR shooters doing very well with other bipods, as they learned how to manage them well.

I also have a SEB Neo, used for fly shooting and odd dabble in FOpen with my 6XC. The fixed rests are just a lot easier to shoot, and over a competition with many stages competing against other FStd or FOpen set ups with rests ,where dropping x’s count, my advice would be to get a fixed rest and get it done with. SEB and Farley’s are good, pay attention to your front bag set up if you go down that path.

Have a shoot with a well set up FStd/Fopen rifle and then a well set up FTR rig, I think you will decide quickly then..... if you are thinking about doing a Queens, remember that they are typically 8-10 stages over 2-3 days.... that is a lot of shooting and fatigue sets in a bit..... so the easier your set up is to manage while shooting the better.... every shot need to score....

Let us know how you gp!

Regards
Frans Knox

Quick

#7 Postby Quick » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:14 pm

The joypods are awesome. Loved mine. Perfect for F/TR. If your going to shoot FS or FO, then get a rest. A joypod just wont be as stable over the course of a whole shoot when compared to a rest.

With the correctly setup rifle and correct technique, a F/TR rifle is as stable as rest. But it takes more concentration to drive the rifle to that level over a full competition. And a slight error in gun handling can make you not just get a fat 6 but a fat 5 or even skinny 4. Which to me isnt worth the risk if you want to be competetive in FO or FS.
Shaun aka 'Quick'
Yanchep, Western Australia

308 Win F/TR & F-S
7mm F-Open Shooter.

Wiseman7187

#8 Postby Wiseman7187 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:52 pm

I've only been shooting for a year but I would like to get a rest I'll have for year.
Don't mind paying for quality.
I'm picking up my first rifle once my pta goes through and that will be a la105 Lithgow .308.
Eventually I may look at a custom built f class rifle but that won't be for a fair few years if I do.

I'd like to aim for a queens one day even just to have tried even if I came dead last would be a great learning chance I feel.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”