What is the energy limit for NSWRA F-class shooting?

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

John Weigel

#1 Postby John Weigel » Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:08 am

I've really tried to find the answer to this question in archives - sorry if I missed finding it. No two people I ask this question can provide the same answer. If anyone is 100% certain what, if any, energy limits exist in the state (I'm not talking about range to range - though that would be interesting too...), but what is meant when I sign up for matches and am told 'subject to NSWRA energy limits'. Hope someone can give me the definitive answer.

John

bobbyaxe

Re: What is the energy limit for NSWRA F-class shooting?

#2 Postby bobbyaxe » Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:01 pm

I think the issue with multiple answers is due to each range having its own limits.

Technically one of the Queens ranges is not allowed to accept SAUMs 300WM etc due to the energy limits. It's in the documentation but that page tends to go missing during large matches.

johnk

#3 Postby johnk » Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:29 pm

Historically, NSW had an energy limit decided by the military. Since state weapons licensing have taken over responsibility, you might expect them to use the standard accepted at the Police Ministers (?) conference of some date.

For example, all Queensland (QRA & NQRA) under QPS responsibility have an energy limit of 3500ft/lbs (4745.4 joules) with a maximum velocity of 3274 fps (998 mps), the exception being a very few military ranges used by civilians.

Triplejim

#4 Postby Triplejim » Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:02 pm

NSW Firearms Registry range guide, 2013, page 9
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

John Weigel

#5 Postby John Weigel » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:49 pm

Triplejim: You beauty! You'd be surprised how many knowledgeable types have no idea about the source of the rule. I don't like the rule, or its formulae, but it sure is nice to know where I stand.

Thanks so much.

John

Return to “Equipment & Technical”