MAB built OMARK 44R reliability

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

BD28

MAB built OMARK 44R reliability

#1 Postby BD28 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:18 pm

Hey guys.

Chasing some info from people who may have had and shot the later MAB built OMARK actions.

I have a 1988 built M.A.B 44R with a current MAB adaptor. Its had very little work and is in really good condition.

With so much opinion on the older actions im interested in hearing from those who have successfully shot them with good result. I am also looking to dispel some myths surrounding the action which i know is not as refined as the modern offerings.

1. Can the action/adaptor itself handle the pressure of modern FTR large for caliber projectiles. I am looking to shoot a 200.20X in FTR with a 1/10 30-32" cut rifle barrel. I cant seem to find any load data specifically on the ADI site for a 200.20X Berger but the pressure for a 200gr soft point at max charge isn't that much higher than a 155 at full noise. Also i would assume the test rifle and barrel for the ADI data is not throated for the bigger projectiles and case fill/max load numbers are possibly on the lighter side.

2. Aside from the unrefined feel, is there anything significant im missing that would make the action a bad prospect for an FTR rifle.

Thanks in advance.

MattyG

Re: MAB built OMARK 44R reliability

#2 Postby MattyG » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:04 pm

Issues with Omarks:

No primary extraction, to fix this you can put a bit of TIG weld on the bolt handle so it cams against the action when it is lifted, note that the bolt handle is silver soldered onto the bolt body.

Original trigger is pretty ordinary, if you can source a Davies trigger you will be far better off.

The firing pin springs tend to lose tension reasonably quickly, get some spares while they are still around.

Other than those issues and the need for an adaptor (which you already have) the old Omark can still hold their own. I am pretty certain they can handle any sensible .308W load, barrel twist will be your main issue.

Good luck with it!
Matt M.
Endeavour RC
TR/F Standard/Smallbore/Service Rifles/Sporting Rifles etc
LOVE IT ALL!!!

John23

#3 Postby John23 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:09 pm

Or fit a Remington 700 trigger.

I have a very tidy one with a a bartlien 6br barrel that Matt P fitted .
The thing is a tack driver and a pleasure to shoot .

Only lesson I have learned is that I must fl size my brass as it does get sticky at times .
If I built the rifle again I would ad primary extraction .

Only other thing I don’t care for is the bolt handle lift is harder than other rifles I have and I have to plant my cheek on the stock when opening the bolt otherwise the rifle will twist out of my front bag

Brad Y

#4 Postby Brad Y » Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:54 pm

I thought omark actions were only proofed for 144gr ammo pressures? While they are certainly a part of our firearm history here in Australia, I think there are better and more modern actions that will definitely hold the pressure and perform better. Those who are winning competitions don’t seem to be using omarks anymore. JMO

bsouthernau

#5 Postby bsouthernau » Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:59 am

I have shot 210gr SMKs quite successfully from an Omark. I don't stoke them up quite as much as for my Davies or RPA actions. As an earlier post said, as long as you are sensible with your loads you will have no problems.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”