Bang-For-Buck Scopes

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Weairy

Bang-For-Buck Scopes

#1 Postby Weairy » Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:19 pm

Hi folks,

Trying to put together a budget-friendly rifle for Sporting/Hunter class. The biggest stumbling point I have is finding a decent scope that won't break the bank, and has the right adjustments to suit our sport.

Who can recommend what? I'm chasing a scope that costs hundreds, not thousands. Obviously, it's not going to be a March or a Nightforce quality, but there are many cheaper brands that seem as though they might be sufficient (Arctic Fox, Vortex etc). Or am I better off looking for a good, second-hand option (I picked up a Leupold BR36X-D for $600 last time I put together a starter rifle).
Josh Weaire
Nagambie R.C.
I'm not Craig, if you want to contact him, email on c.weaire@bigpond.com

johnk

Re: Bang-For-Buck Scopes

#2 Postby johnk » Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:45 pm

There's a lot to be said for the old Leupold 8-25 VIII - plenty of adjustment & as we Match Rifle shooters have found, holds up mostly.

willow

#3 Postby willow » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:37 pm

ZeroTech seem to offer decent bang for buck - the Trace model is within budget and has the right feature-set for Sporting Hunter class:

http://magnumsports.com.au/255/278/zero ... 27x50.html

robbo1990

#4 Postby robbo1990 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:09 pm

Sightron I picked up a new stac 4-20×50 for 800 brand new. And can prob pick up a second hand s3 10-50×60 for about the same price

AlanF

#5 Postby AlanF » Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:34 am

Weairy wrote:Hi folks,

Trying to put together a budget-friendly rifle for Sporting/Hunter class. The biggest stumbling point I have is finding a decent scope that won't break the bank, and has the right adjustments to suit our sport.

Who can recommend what? I'm chasing a scope that costs hundreds, not thousands. Obviously, it's not going to be a March or a Nightforce quality, but there are many cheaper brands that seem as though they might be sufficient (Arctic Fox, Vortex etc). Or am I better off looking for a good, second-hand option (I picked up a Leupold BR36X-D for $600 last time I put together a starter rifle).

Its a very worthwhile project and a good question re: scopes. Here's my 2 cents :

Reliability is the key question for sub $1000 scopes. In SH discipline 1/4 MOA adjustments should be fine, and magnification can be anything from about 15X up, preferably variable. John K's suggestion is good. Used Leupold variables up to 18X, 20X and 25X are commonly available, some for well under $1000, and their lifetime warranty is no questions asked (you can be the first or the 100th owner!) As any Leupold owner will tell you, they have very good optics, plenty of adjustment, and are a pleasure to use.

I used to think we should be encouraging SH starters to do a buy once cry once and get a NF etc., for when they "graduate" to F-Class. However if their first rifle and scope are chosen wisely, then some (many?) will opt to stay in SH.

Rich4

#6 Postby Rich4 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:44 am

I am the biggest advocate for high dollar optic's around, to the point of sacrificing on the rifle.
I have found that the ammunition wasted chasing zero's etc, plus the doubt caused, would have easily bought a more expensive scope all the way along my journey, however I am painfully aware of limited resources, if you can't afford a "new" quality optic, second hand is where you need to be, by a manufacturer with lifetime warranty and maybe stay away from massive magnification as quality will get you more than magnification, also keeps some versatility/resale in case you decide this is not for you. :D

Weairy

#7 Postby Weairy » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:56 am

Rich4 wrote:I am the biggest advocate for high dollar optic's around, to the point of sacrificing on the rifle.
I have found that the ammunition wasted chasing zero's etc, plus the doubt caused, would have easily bought a more expensive scope all the way along my journey, however I am painfully aware of limited resources, if you can't afford a "new" quality optic, second hand is where you need to be, by a manufacturer with lifetime warranty and maybe stay away from massive magnification as quality will get you more than magnification, also keeps some versatility/resale in case you decide this is not for you. :D

Oh, don't worry, I'm on the same line of thinking. I love my March and Nightforce scopes for F Std and F Open. But remember, S/H only shoots the TR board. So a *reasonable* scope, even if it has a little variance in point of aim, will still likely get the job done. We're all used to shooting F-Class, where that tiny little variance in the scope makes all the difference. S/H is more forgiving.
Josh Weaire
Nagambie R.C.

Weairy

#8 Postby Weairy » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:56 am

The main reason I'm trying to find the cheaper options is pretty simple. I have a couple of mates that shoot and the conversation usually goes along the lines of;
"Hey, do you want to try target shooting?"
"Yeah sounds good, what's a rifle cost?"
"Welllllll.... our F Class rigs are somewhere around 8-10 Grand..."
"Yeah nah, I'll go shoot Field and Game with a $1200 shotgun thanks"

For me, this is about putting together a package that will be competitive and readily available. It's a case of "what can I buy off-the-shelf and readily-available on a Monday morning to shoot that Saturday?". It won't be a rifle that will transition over to F-Class easily, because to me, that's against the spirit of the class.

I'm thinking along the lines of a Tikka T3x, Rem700 or Howa 1500, perhaps a Savage 10 even, chambered in either 308W (because we've all got 308 bits) or another common off-the-shelf calibre (6.5 Creedmore maybe?) that's a bit lighter on recoil.
Josh Weaire
Nagambie R.C.

Peter Marum

#9 Postby Peter Marum » Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:04 pm

Hi
Have any thought of the old school Lynx 20x40 scope. Quarter min adjust, good turrets, good lenses and an tough as nails.
Sitting on top of a Howa 308 or 223 would be a sh kit and friendly on the $$
Pete

mike H

#10 Postby mike H » Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:39 pm

Peter Marum wrote:Hi
Have any thought of the old school Lynx 20x40 scope. Quarter min adjust, good turrets, good lenses and an tough as nails.
Sitting on top of a Howa 308 or 223 would be a sh kit and friendly on the $$
Pete

Why not,I started FClass with a 16x Lynx then moved to a 20x Lynx for a few years before getting into Leupolds,the 20x is on my Ruger varminter 223,only needs a Harris bipod and would be ready for Sport/Hunting.

6.5x55ai

#11 Postby 6.5x55ai » Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:50 pm

johnk wrote:There's a lot to be said for the old Leupold 8-25 VIII - plenty of adjustment & as we Match Rifle shooters have found, holds up mostly.

Another vote for the old 8-25. I used one for some time and found it to be good. Tracked very well, reasonable optics. Maybe some weakness eventually with the erector spring but mine certainly had no issues.
Even sent mine back to Leupold to have MK 4 turrets fitted.

macguru

#12 Postby macguru » Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:47 pm

My Vortex Diamondback 6-24 FFP cost a bit over 600 bucks. I think its perfect for S/H and I cannot believe they can sell them that cheap.
id quod est

Wingnut

#13 Postby Wingnut » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:04 pm

Opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one, no one thinks theirs stinks. Scope choice is very subjective. Most in the $1000 range will be more than adequate for Hunter class. They’re all made to a price point by either the chinese or in the Philippines. Look through a couple and pick the one you prefer.

ned kelly

#14 Postby ned kelly » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:47 pm

G'day All,
I've found the Leupold 6.5-20EFR to be a great scope as it is designed (as I believe) to handle Air rifles. Mine tracks better than I can shoot and can be found for about $1000. I believe its ideal doe beginners as the 20x isn't too high but high enough for long range (at least to 700yds) which is enough to get newbies started. Worth a look for .223's or 6BR's as a club scope/starter. If its their own scope, is makes a brilliant varmint/22lr scope if they decide to upgrade.
FWIW of course.....and mine is NOT for sale!
Cheerio Ned

ErrolW

#15 Postby ErrolW » Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:00 pm

An Artic Fox vt01 6-24×50 Should do the job under $500 I have 1 And have used it out to 900 yards with no issues. They have 1/8 clicks plus you can buy a sun shade aswell as the dnt come with 1 . They have illuminated x hairs

Return to “Equipment & Technical”