Neilsen action for F Class

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Spaceman

Neilsen action for F Class

#1 Postby Spaceman » Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:53 pm

Hi Guys, first post. I’m currently a very active Sambar hunter in Vic, however my time will come to an end soon enough, and I’d like to transition into Target shooting/F Class. I’ve shot at a few rifle ranges, participating in mostly military shoots, and have observed and pulled targets for F Class shooters numerous times. So I guess I’ve got a basic understanding of the sport, but no real experience. I have picked up a couple of Aussie made Neilsen target rifles, the 300 and 600. They look in very good condition, and both have original laminated stocks etc. Would I be right in assuming these actions can be drilled and tapped for F Class conversion? Also I believe the triggers in both look similar if not the same as an Omark, and I’m wondering if there is a replacement on the market, as I can’t seem to adjust them to my liking without slam fires. Can anyone give me some information on these actions, and opinions regarding an F Class build? Seems a shame to not do something with these guns, as even a novice like me can see how well built they were. Also, if there’s a gunsmith out there who likes this kind of work please let me know for future reference. Any info or opinions about these rifles will be welcome. Regards

Spaceman

Blindbat

Re: Neilsen action for F Class

#2 Postby Blindbat » Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:20 pm

Welcome to the Nielsen club Spaceman. You obviously have good judgement with your choice of shooting irons. Any competent gunsmith will be able to put a picatinny rail on it which is my recommendation for mounting a scope. A word of warning if you intend to try to do this work yourself, don't be tempted as the actions are hard, much harder than the Omarks. Drilling and tapping the screw holes so they end up trued to the action is definitely a job for a professional.

Weairy

#3 Postby Weairy » Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:08 am

Welcome to F-Class Spaceman.
I don't know a lot about the Nielsens, but Mark Sewell in Wodonga VIC does an excellent job of tapping actions to fit a rail. He did an old Omark for me recently and it came up an absolute treat.
Josh Weaire
Nagambie R.C.
I'm not Craig, if you want to contact him, email on c.weaire@bigpond.com

Spaceman

#4 Postby Spaceman » Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:21 am

Thanks for the replies guys. Does anyone know much about the triggers? I’ve read that some had ‘Davies Triggers’ installed, but others had Omark triggers. The two actions I have seem to have Omark style triggers, as I have an Omark with almost identical trigger, however I don’t know if they’re the same… I guess what I’m asking is, what’s the best possible trigger to buy or modify to the Nielsen action? Thanks for any info.
Spaceman

dgeorge52

#5 Postby dgeorge52 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:23 pm

Hey spaceman.....i have 4 Neisens 3 i use in f/open nd 1 my wife uses in t/rifle.....all have Davies triggers ...they as good as any action for the money....would`nt give mine away....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”