Thoughts on Vortex golden eagle

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

John23

Thoughts on Vortex golden eagle

#1 Postby John23 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:04 pm

Hi Everyone

I am thinking of parting with my S&B PM2 12-50 and replacing it with a different scope.
One that would suit my price range is the GE and it’s a scope I have looked to many times.

Many of you using them ?
Any positive or negative feedback ?
Any alternatives that fall into a similar price bracket?

The other scope I am considering is a mates Leupold competition 7-35.
I have a fixed 45x45 which I love and would happily have another Leupold

Any feedback is much appreciated

willow

Re: Thoughts on Vortex golden eagle

#2 Postby willow » Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:46 pm

I own one - did own two of them but just parted with one as I sold it as a package with one of my rifles. I've not had any major complaints with the GE, I find it easy to get behind, glass is good but not on the level of March/S&B...I didn't see much difference between the GE and the NF Comp which is now significantly more expensive.

Haven't suffered any issues with tracking, the scope comes well equipped with a sunshade and aperture ring and is not overly heavy. For the price, I think the Delta Stryker is a competitor, comes in a little heavier I think if weight is an issue.

John23

#3 Postby John23 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:54 pm

Thanks for your feedback , the delta striker is probably a bit too heavy for my purposes , they are nice though.

I wish they would lean out a model and include less features and reduce the over size components

tachyon

#4 Postby tachyon » Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:43 pm

I've had, and subsequently sold a Golden Eagle and S&B 12-50 replacing them with a pair of March High Master 10-60x56 scopes.

The GE was a good, but not great, scope. It was light, tracked well, easy to get behind and I liked the floating dot reticle. The glass is not as good as either S&B or March ie the mirage is a bit fuzzier. They are good value for money, made in Japan, and covered by the lifetime Vortex warranty.

My S&B was in mils and did not have enough windage for our local conditions. Sold because of the lack of windage in the mil version and a desire to change all my scopes to MOA with "usual" direction turrets. The glass is hard to beat but the eye relief is a bit on the short side.

The new lens system in the March High Master line is IMHO second to none. Note the 8-80x56 March glass is underwhelming, at least to my eyes.

GC

#5 Postby GC » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:45 am

GC wrote:
I have two GE and a third new one sitting in the cupboard for a project that did not come to fruition that is for sale for $2450 (RRP $2799). If you want itis brand new never been used. Re the GE i have found them to be a great product with excellent backup from the Aussie distrubutor. I should also let you know that I have over the last 10 years been a dealer (on a small scale) but have sold the Vortex product throught Australia mainly to target shooters. They work well and those other than myself have been complimentary in regards to comapring them to a Nightforce and yes even a March. In regards to the later they obviously are a great scope but at almost double the price. Amongst the Golden Eagles I have sold they include at two Queens Winners and a second in FSB grade and I managed a leadup win in FSA as well as numerous range or agg wins in various events . If you need any further information give me a call on 0428620538

willow

#6 Postby willow » Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:49 pm

tachyon wrote:I've had, and subsequently sold a Golden Eagle and S&B 12-50 replacing them with a pair of March High Master 10-60x56 scopes.

The GE was a good, but not great, scope. It was light, tracked well, easy to get behind and I liked the floating dot reticle. The glass is not as good as either S&B or March ie the mirage is a bit fuzzier. They are good value for money, made in Japan, and covered by the lifetime Vortex warranty.

My S&B was in mils and did not have enough windage for our local conditions. Sold because of the lack of windage in the mil version and a desire to change all my scopes to MOA with "usual" direction turrets. The glass is hard to beat but the eye relief is a bit on the short side.

The new lens system in the March High Master line is IMHO second to none. Note the 8-80x56 March glass is underwhelming, at least to my eyes.

The March HM is the only scope I saw a noticeable difference with when shopping for an F-class scope. Subsequently I bought two of them, but they're double the price for the Vortex GE so you'd expect there to be a difference.

PeteFox

#7 Postby PeteFox » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:57 am

willow wrote:
The March HM is the only scope I saw a noticeable difference with when shopping for an F-class scope. Subsequently I bought two of them, but they're double the price for the Vortex GE so you'd expect there to be a difference.

This one on Used Guns this morning - $3300 brand new - bargain.

https://usedguns.com.au/gun/378353/

Pete

willow

#8 Postby willow » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:39 pm

PeteFox wrote:
willow wrote:

This one on Used Guns this morning - $3300 brand new - bargain.

https://usedguns.com.au/gun/378353/

Pete

Had to rub it in hey!

Bigtravoz

#9 Postby Bigtravoz » Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:15 pm

Old post I know, but in all honesty I have seen a few duds. I nearly bought one on the say so of a couple of club members. Glad I went with a delta Stryker, it’s an indescribably better scope than the golden eagle. One of the club members actually sent his back after owning it for 3 weeks, the other one that was spruking how good it was has now gone with another night force, and honestly the delta has way better clarity and glass for about the same dollars.

pjifl

#10 Postby pjifl » Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:22 am

Just to comment in general on comparing RifleScopes.

It is imperative that any comparison be made at the same magnification. Even a slight magnification departure changes the brightness which causes apparent contrast as seen by the eye to change. Often people are reluctant to change Magnification when looking through somebody else's rifle. I am often skeptical of some comparisons for this reason. And NO I am not favoring any particular brand.

Peter Smith.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”