powder scales

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

whippy

powder scales

#1 Postby whippy » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:52 pm

i have been a shooter for many years and have always used balance scales to measure powder. however i recently purchased a set of lyman electronic scales . i have found that they are very sensitive to the slightest breeze. also when i try to calibrate them by zeroing before putting the weight on the they always seem to fluctuate . is this normal or is it breeze. any thoughts on this will be appreciated. also opinions on bath types of scales will be interesting. :shock:
SHOOT WELL & SHOOT TRUE

Barry T

#2 Postby Barry T » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:42 pm

Hello :D WHIPPY, I have a set of AND HL-100 ELECTRONIC SCALES.And they do not like the breeze as well,i have put mine in a fish tank on it's side to stop the breeze, even when breathing through your nose or mouth can affect them(dont laugh) :lol: but that is where i use mine.And yes they also fluctuate,you just have to trickle your last point of a grain carefully,it only takes one little stick of power and your over. you do need patience when using them and dont rush. make sure your scales are level,put your powder pan on and zero your scales, that all i have to do. i hope this helps. from barry t 8)

whippy

#3 Postby whippy » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:59 am

Barry T wrote:Hello :D WHIPPY, I have a set of AND HL-100 ELECTRONIC SCALES.And they do not like the breeze as well,i have put mine in a fish tank on it's side to stop the breeze, even when breathing through your nose or mouth can affect them(dont laugh) :lol: but that is where i use mine.And yes they also fluctuate,you just have to trickle your last point of a grain carefully,it only takes one little stick of power and your over. you do need patience when using them and dont rush. make sure your scales are level,put your powder pan on and zero your scales, that all i have to do. i hope this helps. from barry t 8)

yeah, thanks barry. the fish tank sounds like a great idea. i will do the same. much appreciated.
SHOOT WELL & SHOOT TRUE

Peter Hulett

#4 Postby Peter Hulett » Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:11 pm

I have a Lyman electronic powder dispenser which is really just an electronic scale with a trickler attached. I think much of the problem is temperature related. Lyman suggest a 30 minute warm up time but I have found over the years that if I switch on the scale and leave it for one or two hours the zero is much more stable. Of course you need to keep it out of the breeze and occasionally the zero will drift but I just automatically rezero every 20 or so rounds. It is just one button to press and doesn't really slow your loading.

Cheers

Return to “Equipment & Technical”