low power leupold

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Madracer

low power leupold

#1 Postby Madracer » Fri May 16, 2008 8:37 pm

after looking through various f class forums i have never seen mention of the leupold fx3 12x40 as a scope for f class use, i have never understood this as i was highly recommended it for when i started shooting, i use it with a leupold dot and im happy with it from 300 to 1000yds, the dot fits inside the center scoring ring so its easy to aim, mirage doesnt affect it really. and its easy to hold of onto the center ring (.5 moa) or the 5 ring (1 moa). you can buy it for $600us off an american web site so it is also cheap.

after all that i highly recomend it as a brilliant starting scope.

so really im asking why have i never heard it recommended? the only reason is possibly magnification but i dont see the problem with that because 12x is useable.

by the way i shoot in nz with a standard omark.

AlanF

#2 Postby AlanF » Fri May 16, 2008 9:13 pm

Scopes tend be a personal preference thing. Some of the top shooters leave their NFs at 42X in any conditions. Occasionally I turn my 6.5-20 down to about 12X for heavy mirage. In good conditions, most will use the highest magnification they have, and once you've been "spoilt", its hard to change to a scope with less magnificaton. Its a little like computer or TV screens :D ....

Alan

Woody_rod

#3 Postby Woody_rod » Fri May 23, 2008 7:05 pm

From recent experience in F class rifles, and putting scopes on them for people, I found that the std T series weaver was popular, and works nicely.

On the other hand, our club rifle now has a new Chinese BSA scope 6 - 24 x 44mm, with std hunting reticle. My wife has been shooting 116s lately when the wind is not too bad, so it obviously works. Jury is out on how long it will keep a zero, but is doing very well so far. Total cost, AU$160 with postage.

I would think that a 12 power Leupold would be fine in f class competition. Might be lacking a bit beyond 800y though. At closer ranges, it will rock!!!

Malcolm Hill

#4 Postby Malcolm Hill » Fri May 23, 2008 7:51 pm

Woody_rod
Interesting to hear of someone else using a B.S.A. 6-24 scope and being happy with it. I have been using 2 of them for a couple of years now on 223 F class rifles(the earlier 50mm versions) and couldn't be happier with them. They have held zero perfectly and adjustments have tracked exactly for elevation and windage and they get used every weekend. Other shooters with their Nightforces and Leupolds used to snear at them once but usually go quiet after the scores are on the board.I have no hesitation recommending them to new shooters on a budget as the best of the cheap scopes to get started. There are several of them on rifles around here and no one has had any problems as yet.
Regards Malcolm.

Woody_rod

#5 Postby Woody_rod » Fri May 23, 2008 8:17 pm

Hey Malcolm,

Glad to hear you like them too. I have a 3-9 x 40 BSA on my 22LR Anschutz hunting rifle. Holds perfect zero, and is bright and works well. Total cost including aimail from the US = AU$35, yes $35. Brand new.

Your comment about the other scopes names, owners and snears have also been my experience. Names dont assure a high score, people will always use brand names as a crutch. I dont have this affliction. If it works, use it.

Like wanting a higher score, and paying $5,000 for a new rifle and shooting 55's instead of 54's. All our club member rifles will shoot 60's...proven fact. Can the members shoot straight, well, that is another question :-)

I worry more about my primer seating than I do about scopes.

AlanF

#6 Postby AlanF » Fri May 23, 2008 9:18 pm

Maybe these BSA scopes are an exception to the rule, but I doubt it. In general, you get what you pay for with scopes. If you're lucky you'll get a cheap scope that is good, and if you're unlucky you'll get an expensive one that's a lemon. But in the long run, the rule will apply :wink: . If you're still using cheap scopes competitively in 5 years time, then I'll buy one too :D .

Alan

Woody_rod

#7 Postby Woody_rod » Fri May 23, 2008 10:57 pm

Do you realise that most scopes are made in China? They may be assembled in the US, not that it makes any difference these days. The Chinese have really picked up their game in manufacturing the last couple of years. Soon, India will be the next China, and China the next Japan.

They make Mercedes Benz cars in China, have done for some years. I doubt even an experienced eye could tell the difference between one from China, and one from Germany. Same goes for scopes, or anything else.

Chasing scores with brand names only makes the importers richer, and the brand fixated shooter poorer - a great combination for a consumer society :-)

The main thing to overcome is the mind of the shooter, the rest is pretty straight forward.

My thinking is I rarely get what I pay for.....

mike H

#8 Postby mike H » Sat May 24, 2008 6:45 pm

All I will say about cheap scopes is if you have one you like, buy another for a spare. I had the distressing position to be on the same target at the Victorian Queens as an excellent shooter, one usually in the top three, he was using a lower end scope, and not long into the competition it started to make it`s own decisions. If you costed the cost of travel and all other costs to go to a Queens, as wasted, I am sure you could have had a better result financially, and score wise, with another scope.
Mike.

Woody_rod

#9 Postby Woody_rod » Sat May 24, 2008 6:56 pm

There is always one person in every crowd that bursts bubbles with common sense and good reasoning....

pjifl

#10 Postby pjifl » Mon May 26, 2008 9:32 am

A general comment on scope quality.

Excellent optics are coming from China. In fact, most optics originate from there now and when they put their mind to it they are unexcelled. And some of their scopes are good and they seem willing to learn quickly and be innovative.

If this trend continues they may soon dominate the quality end of the market too - who knows.

But there is also some poor quality stuff and how does one tell it apart from the other ?

Scope problems may be subtle and intermittent. The effect can be devastating but hard to pin onto anything in particular.

I fully understand people paying top dollar for supposedly the best scopes although all brands can and do have problems.

If you do experiment with unknown scopes, try to have access to a known good scope for comparison. Its not uncommon for a scope to let one down although it seems less common now with the best brands.

Peter Smith.

ned kelly

#11 Postby ned kelly » Mon May 26, 2008 10:32 am

G'Day Madracer,
I've used the older model 12x from leupold in BR and they ARE great optics and very repeatable for clicks. I know over here people were regularly shooting around 0.25moa aggregates in 100/200yds BR (thats 50 shots for better than 0.25moa over 100 AND 200yds..... :D ) or less with a 8 3/4lb rifles and 12x scopes and the scores were easily as good as the 36x scopes on 10.5 or 13.5 lb rifles

I like to use high powered scopes around 32x-36x but if you are using the 12x with a dot and finding it works for you ...........DONT CHANGE! Unless you find something that works even BETTER of course!

On our F-open target, the higher power scopes do allow for me, finer aiming but you still need to read the wind perfectly.....no-one does that. It's probably a mind thing; if you CAN see, then you think you can shoot better :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:

I sold my 12x to my brother for his fox rifle, I dont think I've ever get to use it again :cry:

hope this helps

Cheerio Ned

pjifl

#12 Postby pjifl » Mon May 26, 2008 9:03 pm

Maybe this comment could go elsewhere but here goes.

Its just so hard to pin down rifle errors and the possibility of scope problems make it even more complicated.

But dont overlook some of the really basic issues.

I recently saw an Omark go from Ho Hum to competitive by replacing the firing pin spring. Thats in FO.

I wonder if the newer Omark springs had the same quality as the original.

Its a well known thing - something I recomment to people every so often -but things like this can sneak up on one.

I must replace mine before the Townsville shoot in about 1 week. Its unlikely many from this list will be there but its a great shoot - usually tolerable weather while the south freezes !

Peter Smith.

Madracer

#13 Postby Madracer » Mon May 26, 2008 9:09 pm

cheers for the info.
i agree with what you said ned. i have just upgraded to a nightforce 12x42 and its heaps easier tu use for instance instead of putting a 1/2 min inside 6 inches i can quarter a 1inch patch at 500yds hence more accuracy.

the reason i origionaly asked the question is because im a new shooter this year and im 23 and average would be at least 50. i have been lucky that i have been hooked in while i have the money to buy a high power scope, but i get frustrated when a new shooter asks what scope do i need and i generally hear "at least 25" and to get that reliably the cheapest option would be leupold (correct me if this is wrong) which would be about $900 us, and that may make the new shooter lose interest.

so basicly what im trying to say, (once again i may be wrong) a ten power scope that tracks well is enough obliously not perfect but it is enough.

the reason i make the comment is i hope to still have a sport to shoot when i make the average age but we need new members and i dont want people to be scared off by something like this.

sorry for the rant

Stuart Amos

Woody_rod

#14 Postby Woody_rod » Mon May 26, 2008 9:11 pm

Bill Hallam said the same thing about Omarks. Im tempted to get one (there are millions laying around the place) and put a good trigger on one, polish it up and see how it goes....

I have a 5 cent piece in the top of my toolbox as the "bolt disassembly tool" for the Omark.

Woody_rod

#15 Postby Woody_rod » Mon May 26, 2008 9:18 pm

$900 is a ripoff.

Mate, get some time on the 'puter and find some cheaper online stores in teh USA. They vastly cheaper than local sales. When people in AU get close to US online prices, I would think about shopping here again.

I think your approach is sound regarding "good enough". Mate get shooting, worry about the other stuff later. Great to see younger guys and girls having a go, well done.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”