Omark in 284 win

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

hammersmith

Omark in 284 win

#1 Postby hammersmith » Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:04 pm

HI to all I want to ask fellow Australians what they would think of chambering one of my Omark's in .284 win for f-class shooting. I know wild bill likes his 284, he's pointed me on to them on another forum.

I was thinking along the lines of 30" of stainless barrel from maddco or MAB with a tight neck and as heavy as the weight limit will allow.

I want to use an Omark because I've got one with a shot out barrel, but otherwise I'd use one of my rem 700 actions. Does any one know what sort of barrel life I'd be looking at for a 284 win.

regards
Hammer

bruce moulds

#2 Postby bruce moulds » Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:01 pm

hi,
people inn sa have used omarks in 6.5/284 & 260 panther to win the last 3 prize shoots. there is no reason why one in 284 would be any less capable. careful weighing could allow use of a bedding block, for the barrel. i could be wrong, but i thought bill had one
regards,
bruce moulds

#3 Postby Guest » Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:43 pm

Hello hammer, Your omark, fitted with a new adpator, faced up and trued(not one is dead straight),fitted with a new bolthead, and a must is a bolthead pin.and lap the bolt head lugs, fitted correctly to a good stock, will hold it's own, against even the latest benchrest actions. In my book they're equal to a tricked up rem 700, only stronger, and they will carry the big barrel without sleeving, and don't throw away the trigger, if you don't want it let me know, I'll buy it.
Keep em in the ten ring John Lorimer

bjld

#4 Postby bjld » Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:47 pm

G'day Hammer

When using the 284 case I would suggest that you remove the plunger ejector from the bolthead to avoid scratching the shoulder of the case on the locking lugs as you extract. Otherwise, the number of scratches do give you a good indication of how many times you've fired that case.

Regards
Ben

RAVEN

#5 Postby RAVEN » Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:31 pm

Hi Hammer
I Have been shooting a Rem 700 in 7mm REM MAG for the last 3 years this rifle had a 26" 1:9 factory barrel and had put through 4000+ round through it before I had it rebarrelled.
I am having a .284 tight neck built for me at the moment well 4 the last 2 years :(
I have been told it should be ready soon Will Bill has been using this chambering for a while with good result.
The bullet choice is very good 162Gr A-MAX/175Gr SMK/ 168Gr Berger/180 Gr Berger/171Gr Pro-Cal
And as far as the omark go I will concur with the rest
here in SA rifles built on this action are very competitive. WINNING OPMs
Cheers
RICHARD
:)

Ok Here Go's

#6 Postby Guest » Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:25 pm

You can build a succsesfull 284Win on an Omark my rifle pointed luckely on the last day of the Victorian Queens helped me Win the Dayly Agg i Shot a 95 at 900 Yards Winning the range by 8 points then i came seccond at 1000 with 95 points to Alan by 1 point and also Alan beat me at 900 yards on the seccond day by countback we both had 89 points. So i had no disadvantage on using an omark and 284 is a good calibre for the long ranges. I would advise you to use a barrel block if you are going to hang a heavy barrel on it i have a 30" MAB 1 in 9 twist barrel hand lapped by Geoff Grenfell and had a custom profile made 1.25" parralell for 6" then tapering to .900 at the muzzle. I was shooting the 175gr Sierra they are just awsome and 54.0gr of AR2213SC with Fed GM215M primers in Lapua cases necked up and turned. I have my own reamer with a 312 neck i also used a Weaver T36 wich worked perfectly. there is a picture in one of last years ATR mags with the Nikko scope writeup of my rifle before this barrel and some finishing off.
PM me if you want any other Information or a copy of the chamber Print.

Cheers Bill

Sorry forgot i hape to get around 2000 to 2500 competative rounds through this barrel i have just under 500 now and it shoots and looks awsome.

Nesikaman

Omark in 284

#7 Postby Nesikaman » Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:58 pm

Hi

my first foray into F class was to do exactly as you described . Omark action MAB 30 inch stainless fluted tube chambered in 6.5/284, shehane mbr and NF 8x32 scope. the thing shot so very very well. 3 shot cloverleafs at 300 yrds off a bench and near perrfect scores on the mound at 600 (shooter error notwithstanding)

only prblem was that MAb short throated the thing so you couldnt load it too hot.. it would only chrono 2600 fps exactly so i was missing out on a couple of hundered fps

#8 Postby Guest » Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:32 am

I am having an F Class rifle built at the moment on an Omark action. I have a PacNor 30" tube fitted and it's chambered for the 6BR. I got a semi finished stock from Geoff Slee in Victoria - it is a Rem 40XB pattern inletted for the Omark. It should be ready to pick up friday (hopefully!). Dont throw that Omark away - give it a new barrel!!

Cheers
Matt

Return to “Equipment & Technical”