Barrel Poll

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Which of these barrel brands do you judge the best?

MAB
8%
Krieger
37%
Tru-Flite
18%
Maddco
13%
Lawton
5%
Broughton
3%
Lilja
10%
Bartlein
5%

Total votes: 60

AlanF

Barrel Poll

#1 Postby AlanF » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:14 pm

I was only able to include the 8 most common brands (limitation of the software). If you think I've got the list wrong (for F-Class not TR), then please say so. I included Bartlein because while not common here, its popular and highly regarded in the US and UK.

You only get one vote so think carefully :-k .

Paul Janzso

barrels

#2 Postby Paul Janzso » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:18 am

Yep , the poll never lies, laughton are crap. Just like the one have holding up tomatoes. Even the company in the States would not talk to me about it, "speek to the Australian dealer" they said.

Paul
Time's a wasted wot's not spent shooti'n BARNARD 300WSM's

AlanF

#3 Postby AlanF » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:53 am

Well that settles it then, nothing other than Krieger is worth having, so if you use anything other than Krieger, get rid of it. :shock:

Seriously, I apologise for thinking that this poll was a good idea. It was a mistake to have it immediately after the vigorous discussion on the merits or otherwise of MAB, and I believe much of the voting has been tongue in cheek. To put some balance into things, I've had 6 Kriegers over the last 6 years, and on average I wouldn't rate them above the Tru-flite, Broughton or Maddco that I've also used during that time. My best barrel has been a Krieger, but so has my worst, and that's what you'd expect if you use them mostly. On the other hand, I know of at least one MAB in F-Std that wasn't hand lapped and was an excellent performer for over 5000 rounds.

Will anyone object if I archive this poll, and possibly run another one at a time when people are less interested in winning an argument, and more in finding out genuine opinions about barrels? :?

Alan

David B

#4 Postby David B » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:23 am

Alan I use Krieger so I voted for them can't see any one voting for a barrel they don't use :?: Didn't the poll go the way you wanted :(

bully_eye

#5 Postby bully_eye » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:31 am

I think the results would be skewed towards any barrel of consistantly good quality with easy availability and Kreiger fits that bill to the T. The gunsmith I used for my F Open rifle imports a different brand and that makes my decision easy as it becomes a one stop shop. He has supplied 2 different brands over 4 different chamberings all of which I'm very happy with but they've all had to be ordered from scratch which has meant long lead up times- not something possible with many shooters who rebarrel mid season. I'd be using a different brand if I was in a rush.
I think if this hadn't been a poll on which barrel we consider the best and rather which barrel we are using, Kreiger would still come out on top but their ready availability, coupled with their consistantly good quality has a lot to do with that.
If Kreigers suddenly became hard to get you would see another brand take over its position I'm sure.
This certainly isn't meant as a criticism of the intent of this poll but I'm guessing that by sheer weight of numbers Kreiger would win. I've never used one though! :lol:

AlanF

#6 Postby AlanF » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:50 am

David B wrote:...Didn't the poll go the way you wanted :(...

No it didn't, and for the reasons I said in the earlier post David. My agenda, and it isn't hidden, is for the technical advice given on these forums to be sound. If anyone thinks that some advice or information is misleading, then I would prefer that they say so, in order not to mislead new shooters in particular. We can only guess at the reasons, but this poll is clearly giving an unrealistically high rating for Krieger, regardless of how the question was taken, or who voted.

Alan

David B

#7 Postby David B » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:48 pm

Alan you asked the question just except the answer, most people who answered like their Kriegers :oops: I think Bully_Eye hit the nail on the head

AlanF

#8 Postby AlanF » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:14 pm

David,

Anyone with an ounce of commonsense and some experience with a variety of barrel brands will know that this poll, which currently shows more votes for Krieger than the other 7 combined, is misleading. Kriegers are probably above average quality, and almost certainly the most popular barrel for F-Class nationally, but if a newbie looked at this poll, they could be excused for ruling out everything else. I think my own personal experience of watching F-Class Open performances over recent years and using a swag of Kriegers myself gives me some credibility on this.

Alan :D

David B

#9 Postby David B » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:43 pm

OK then Alan, put your cards on the table what did you want the poll to say?
:lol:

Matt P

#10 Postby Matt P » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:51 pm

There is no point voting for one barrel, I've used upward of 12 barrels from several manufactures to choice just one acheives nothing.
Still wouldn't have a MAB :wink:

Matt P

AlanF

#11 Postby AlanF » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:02 pm

David, Matt,

In a way I'm glad the poll was unbelievable, because no matter what the poll results might otherwise be, it is after all a very unscientific polling method. Probably the best way to judge barrel quality would actually be to have an equipment list for Queens results. Even then you couldn't rely on it, because the skill of the shooter will play a big part in results, particularly in rough conditions and longer ranges.

Alan :?

David B

#12 Postby David B » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:09 pm

Matt, I would have to agree with you, on both points

RAVEN

#13 Postby RAVEN » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:18 pm

Still wouldn't have a MAB

Oh Sh$##T ive got one still trying to get it to shoot
Will never get another.

bully_eye wrote
I think the results would be skewed towards any barrel of consistantly good quality with easy availability and Kreiger

I agree Bully_eye
But keep in mind Tobler ,Mab and Madco are readily available in Aus as well.
:)

johnk

#14 Postby johnk » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:33 pm

I'd much rather give a percentage option or a first & second choice for polls like this.

I use a hell of a lot more Kreigers because match rifle barrels don't have all that much better life than a 6.5/284 :D, and they're the only one I can usually grab off the shelf in 32" length. On the other hand, I'm completely satisfied with my Maddco in my FS rifle - I used a shootload of them when I shot TR too. I would be quite happy using Borders for match rifle except I need both my arms & legs to shoot. I haven't used the rest exception one MAB cut barrel which was a darling & ran the best part of 6000 155s downrange before I swopped it out to shoot the teams match in Bendigo last year. I can't recall getting a dog yet, but maybe I've been lucky because my discipline preferences have necessitated that I concentrate on loading for accuracy.

John

Lynn Otto

#15 Postby Lynn Otto » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:45 pm

Well I didn't actually vote, my choice wasn't on the list, by preference I would choose "whatever is working well for me at this point in time". I had a 26" MAB on my first 223 and no one could dispute that the rifle shot brilliantly, it could and often did outshoot Open rifles and was still shooting 60's when it was swapped out. Not to mention that it missed a Queens win by 1 point due to a bad call by its operator, but did take the Grand Agg, this was just before it was retired and had thrown many thousands of projectiles downrange. I now have a Krieger that I am also very happy with and I guess it must be superior because it won the Queens. :wink:

Return to “Equipment & Technical”