Scope Mounting on an OMARK

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Tony Q

Scope Mounting on an OMARK

#1 Postby Tony Q » Sat Jun 25, 2005 1:38 am

Has anyone had this problem before?

It appears this OMARK's barrel is not in true line with the reciever. The scope rail has been fitted by a compitent gunsmith yet it is around 15mins of left windage to get it zeroed.

is it something to do with the addapters on omarks?

is the correct answer to remove the barell and true it up from scratch?

Tony Q

#2 Postby Tony Q » Sat Jun 25, 2005 2:46 am

BTW .. this rifle belongs to a friend of mine, it won 3 range prizes at the last SA Queens, not bad for a $300 rifle!

its fitted with a 8-32 Nightforce benchrest scope so it has ample windage to take up the problem.

S.Scheske

#3 Postby S.Scheske » Sat Jun 25, 2005 2:48 am

Is this Jason's rifle? and i didnt think there was anything wrong with it
Sam Scheske
CTRC
2004 ADFC Rifle Team

Tony Q

#4 Postby Tony Q » Sat Jun 25, 2005 2:54 am

Yes Sam

if the right wind is more than 8 mins he runs out of adjustment. He can dial in 22mins for a left wind though :)

perfect for Lower Light maybe .... :twisted:

Mark Hamersley

#5 Postby Mark Hamersley » Sat Jun 25, 2005 5:51 pm

Tony

A friend of mine in WA also has this problem - his Omark has a standard MAB CM barrel without an adapter. I use Omarks and the same 'smith yet all mine are OK.

I would guess things need truing as you suggest. I'll ask around to see if I can find other explanations.

regards

Mark

bjld

#6 Postby bjld » Sat Jun 25, 2005 6:50 pm

Tony Q wrote:perfect for Lower Light maybe .... :twisted:

G'day Tony

The wind always blows from the right at Lower Light. Check out the lean on the flagpoles when you're there next (Queens?).

Ben

Tony Q

#7 Postby Tony Q » Sat Jun 25, 2005 9:07 pm

G'day Ben :)

and thanks to Mark.

I just purchased 2 rifles today, 1 omark and 1 98 mauser. I will fit a 8-32 Nightforce to one but am looking for a donated Nightforce for the other!

Dig deep chaps ... its for the good of the sport :twisted:

Tony Q

#8 Postby Tony Q » Sat Jun 25, 2005 9:08 pm

Soory, i forgot to add ... these 2 rifles will be used for our training days and any one who wants to give F class a go.

They may be mine in regard to ownership, but they are for all to use.

ChrisG

#9 Postby ChrisG » Sat Jun 25, 2005 10:14 pm

Tony, with regard to the Omarks I contacted Ken Farrell he made me two mounts contoured to fit the Omark action, picatinny style with 20 MOA slope. At my request they were not drilled with mounting holes and not finnished, (Balck Oxide) Total cost landed in 5 days after manafacture 3 weeks from time of ordering. (may be less now that they have specs) $150 ea. I will try and post a picture (how do u do this), if it does not work out I will E-mail it to those interested. As he now has measurments the cost may well be less. Initially they would have been drilled and finnished for the same price I believe. Although I am brand new to F class, I have an Omark that I would be willing to put up for training/promotional days such as you are running. Do you envisage that the rifles you have mentioned would be available to all clubs or just MB. Presents problems I realise but as BM stated it is an initiative to promote F Class to new shooters outside FB rifle clubs. I really believe that you gays, oops sorry, guys are on the right track, so stick to your guns (no pun) and keep up the good work. Just a suggestion re the training rifles maybe we all as F class shooters could do some fund raising to aquire the appropriate glass for these rigs. [/img]

bjld

#10 Postby bjld » Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:45 pm

Could Alan at Nightforce be persuaded to supply a scope at cost price in return for them being promoted at the training day? He's a member of MBRC after all. It's certainly less presumptuous and more realistic than asking him for a free scope, and there's a good chance that anyone who subsequently buys into F-class will buy a Nightforce scope from SARA.

I think he has a demo scope that he lends to people - he lent someone from CTV a BR model last year. You could try getting that loaned for the duration of each training day only. (Don't try asking him if he'll sell it cheaply - I think he's sick of being asked that).

Ben

RAVEN

#11 Postby RAVEN » Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:19 pm

Hey TQ
If Allan M can do something to help MBRC training day I am happy to provide a sign showing Night force 's support for free

Return to “Equipment & Technical”