Case Tools

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

littlebang556

Case Tools

#1 Postby littlebang556 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:40 am

I have seen many discussions regarding the preparation of cases but some shooters go beyond what the average hand loader considers the norm.
My little .223 needs all the help it can get when it slots into the same class as .308, so maybe the might be a few fellow shooters out there that would be willing to let me know how they get their bullets to line up best to begin the journey down the length of the barrel.
Please include types of tools and tips for their use.
Also interested in ways others set of FL dies to get brass to fit best in the chamber.

Regards

Littlebang556

bjld

Forster dies & light neck turning

#2 Postby bjld » Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:48 am

G'day LittleBang

Use Forster benchrest dies. They're a little cheaper than the equivalent Redding dies but they're well made. The seating die is excellent for making concentric rounds.

I found a significant increase in accuracy by lightly neck turning the Winchester brass I used.

I think Lapua make "match" brass for the 223 which has more capacity than their regular brass. Otherwise weight sorted Winchester brass works well.

Regards
Ben

littlebang556

Die Setup

#3 Postby littlebang556 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:55 pm

Also interested in ways others set up FL dies to get brass to fit best in the chamber.

I have a set of basic Lyman dies (still) and when the never ending list of goodies that one needs to shoot and reload slows (if it ever does) I will replace them with a better set but for the time being I am looking for some tips to make sure my dies are set up the same each time.
Also any suggestions for a better way to lock the nut in position that the standard minute brass grub screw that now has a very roubded internal hex head.

Cheers

Rob Alman

Matt P

#4 Postby Matt P » Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:22 pm

Rob
Get a Forester lock ring you can buy them seperately thru Sinclair, nothing else comes close, I have replaced all my Redding ones with these.
When setting up a FL size die I remove the firing pin from the bolt and bump the shoulder back a little at a time till the bolt closes easily and you can just feel the shoulder touch when the bolt is almost closed.

Matt P

j.b

#5 Postby j.b » Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:04 pm

Why do you FL size and not just neck size? Is this a pressure thing ?

Regards
john

littlebang556

FL V's Neck

#6 Postby littlebang556 » Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:34 am

[quoteWhy do you FL size and not just neck size? Is this a pressure thing ?

Regards
john][/quote]

Sorry John, no real answer for you hear except that I have always FL my cases but as you suggest with a load of 25.4 of 2208 pressure problems could be an issue...after 20 or so shots I find just a small amount of resistance on closing the bolt (this may very well be caused by other things) but comes good after cleaning...or is it because the rifle has cooled down or something else, but accuracy nor consistant velocity suffer and I have gone as many as 50 shots with no adverse effects.

Regards

Rob Alman

Return to “Equipment & Technical”