Is rethreading required to "True" an action?

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

jquin

Is rethreading required to "True" an action?

#1 Postby jquin » Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:55 am

Hi Guys

Looking at the services some US benchrest gunsmiths offer it
seems as though an action should have it's thread recut as well as "truing" the bolt face and lugs. :?

I spoke to a well know Aussie 'smith and he doens't offer the thread cutting service but just "Trues" the bolt face and lugs.

Can anyone elighten me as to what is snake oil and what isn't? ](*,)

Also can anyone recommend an Aussie 'smith to do some "Truing"

Thanks

Paul Janzso

#2 Postby Paul Janzso » Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:06 pm

I can recomend Geoff Grenfell.
He can be contacted via the member list

Cheers
PJ
Time's a wasted wot's not spent shooti'n BARNARD 300WSM's

ned kelly

#3 Postby ned kelly » Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:00 pm

Absolutely...
An accurised action should have the bolt face machined square to the centrline of the bolt, the bolt should be aligned parallel and concentric to the receiver bore which is also bored straight and parallel. The bolt lugs should be square to the bolt and so should the mating surfaces in the receiver. The bolt should be bushed/built up and machined to have a couple of thou clearance when locked and the receiver threads need to be concentric and parrellel to the receiver's bored and concentric centreline. The receiver shoulder (that the barrel mates to) should also be square to the receiver. The recoil lug on remington style actions should have parallel faces. Last but not least the barrel bore should also have the chamber within 0.0002" (2/10th of a thou) runout before the reamer goes near it. All of this does several things.......first it ensures there is no variation so the barrel screws in perfectly aligned and it also reduces vibration within the rifle during the firing sequence for vastly improved accuracy. Its a nice feeling to know the rifle has been built properly cause any lost shots are due to me and not the gear. After all that you need lots of trigger time with good bullets and good wind flags.
Cheerio Ned Kelly

Return to “Equipment & Technical”