6.5 139gr Moly Scenars Wanted

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

AlanF

6.5 139gr Moly Scenars Wanted

#1 Postby AlanF » Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:15 pm

I believe they are no longer being imported :cry: , and I don't have a tumbler or moly kit. Does anyone have any they don't want? I'll pay $46 per 100 plus postage for unopened boxes (that is the price SARA had them for).

bjld

#2 Postby bjld » Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:05 pm

G'day Alan

I checked Grafs and Sinclair and they don't appear to stock the moly ones. 1000 naked Scenars is only US$198.99 from Grafs and they only charge US$50 for processing the export license http://www.grafs.com/orderingInfo.cfm so you could try asking them about the moly ones. I think the guy who deals with exports is Matt export@grafs.com

Regards
Ben

PS The uncoated ones work pretty well for me if Grafs can't get you moly ones.

Re: 6.5 139gr Moly Scenars Wanted

#3 Postby Guest » Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:58 am

AlanF wrote:I believe they are no longer being imported :cry: , and I don't have a tumbler or moly kit. Does anyone have any they don't want? I'll pay $46 per 100 plus postage for unopened boxes (that is the price SARA had them for).

Alan, I have plenty of 139's uncoated if you are stuck.

Nick Simms
simms@connexus.net.au

AlanF

#4 Postby AlanF » Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:05 pm

Thanks Ben, Nick (welcome aboard),

I'll give the ad another week or two just to see if anyone has some molyed ones hidden in the back of a drawer :) .

Alan

bobeager

139 Scenars - moly

#5 Postby bobeager » Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:33 pm

Try Mick Helm from Southern Highlands club. He may have 2x100. He has switched to a 6 BR. He lives near PICTON NSW and is listed in the phone book. Also ask him for contact at "Stagearms" as they may have some in stock.

AlanF

#6 Postby AlanF » Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:46 pm

Thanks Bob. I'll follow it up on Saturday.

Alan

#7 Postby Guest » Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:34 pm

Hello Alan, I may have 1,000 molyed 139 Scenar's in the shed, will check tomorrow, to wet tonight,

Email if want more info.

Cheers

Ken Melgaard

Administrator
Site Admin

#8 Postby Administrator » Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:45 pm

Still need them. Ken's Scenars turned out to be naked. I guess the floods washed the moly off :lol: !

Mark Hamersley

#9 Postby Mark Hamersley » Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:19 am

Alan

Perhaps you should try coating your own. I have a Hoover tumbler - the one the washing gets dried in! I put 2-300 naked ones in a small Milo tin (or similar), add 1/4 teaspoon high grade moly powder, shut it tight and seal it with tape (marriage limiting event if it comes undone), and then pack it well in the dryer with blankets and pillows so it won't move too much. I give mine 2 goes at 30 minutes each - the amount of time on the cool down cycle - and all is done. Hard to tell apart from the bought ones.

I pour them onto an old t-shirt or tea towel, roll them around to remove loose powder, then pack them back into their packets.

The idea came from my wife when she saw me looking at kids prams, old washing machine motors etc with a view to creating a contraption for the tumbling.

I'll buy mine coated if I can. I couldn't get coated last I bought either.

Good luck.

Mark Hamersley

AlanF

#10 Postby AlanF » Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:05 pm

Mark,

We have a Hoover tumble dryer on the wall of the laundry. I'm going to to try your wife's recipe :mrgreen: ! So what exactly did you get for moly powder - was it Neco or just from an engineering supplies place? And did you put shot pellets in with the projectiles?

Alan

VickiMcc

#11 Postby VickiMcc » Sat Jul 09, 2005 6:33 pm

Hi all

I used to coat my own and i used to put approx 25-50 bullets along with some3/16 ball bearings and i/s teaspoon of moly powder from industrial supplies all into a screw top glass baby food jar and place three or four of them into my vibrating case cleaner along with the cleaning media. Leave them in for approx 1 hr. The time all depends on how many bullets are in the jar. You will have to judge this for yourself. Once done sift bullets from bearings and left over moly powder, tip bullets onto cloth and wipe off excess. Tip bearings and powder into jar ready for next time.

Paul

Mark Hamersley

#12 Postby Mark Hamersley » Sun Jul 10, 2005 3:37 pm

Alan

A fellow club member got some moly powder years ago and divvied it up into film canisters. I'm pretty sure he got it from an industrial supplier.

I don't use shot or ball bearings, just naked bullets plus about a level teaspoon for each 2-300. It works for me. My tin ends up about 2/3 full of bullets, you need space for them to tumble against each other in the tin.

Paul's approach is sounds better, I think the ball bearings would improve the efficiency of the process. As Paul says, recover what you can for future use and play with the timing.

You also need to make sure the dryer is packed well. If the tin is well centred it should be OK, otherwise it can get a bad case of the shakes.

Good luck!

Mark Hamersley

Return to “Equipment & Technical”