Moly coating with an orbital sander :)

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Andrew~Smith

Moly coating with an orbital sander :)

#1 Postby Andrew~Smith » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:31 pm

Hello everyone , I have just started with Fclass ( Standard ) and decided to give moly coating bullets a try . I don't know if anyone else has tried this but I used an orbital sander turned up side down , clamped in a vice with thick rubber jaw covers then duct taped a small plastic container to the foam sanding base , added 100 155Gr 30cals and 1/2 a teaspoon of moly powder . 7 - 10 minutes later they were done and looked as good as any I have seen :) .

Andrew Smith

Simon C

#2 Postby Simon C » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:04 pm

Sounds interesting Andrew.

I dont mean this in a negative way but does anyone know if moly coating is legal in FS or TR? Ive only seen blokes with moly coated ammo in FO hence the question.
"Aim small, miss small"

Simon

Andrew~Smith

F C / TR rules

#3 Postby Andrew~Smith » Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:59 am

Hello , thanks for the reply . I had a look at the 2006 SSR . Section 3.4.9 says that bullet lubricants are permitted . Molybdenum disulphide is a well known lubricant so I take it from the rule , it's ok to use .. but of course I will defer to those with the knowledge and experience

Simon C

#4 Postby Simon C » Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:20 pm

Good to hear then. I'd be interested to see if they make any difference to your accuracy and cleaning needs. U planning to do any testing to see if it gives u any extra performance??
"Aim small, miss small"

Simon

AlanF

#5 Postby AlanF » Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:38 pm

Simon,

The only advantage of using moly coated projectiles that nearly everyone agrees on is it gives you more shots between cleans. Some say throat erosion is reduced, particularly when wax is applied on top, and some even say it increases the projectile's BC. I have an identical pair of Kriegers for my 6.5x284. One has never seen moly, the other uses it nearly always. Both are at approx 1000 rounds without any accuracy drop-off. I should be able to report back on the moly and barrel-life question within 6 months or so.

Alan

ned kelly

#6 Postby ned kelly » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:22 pm

G'Day all,
as for moly, I dont use it in my BR rifles after nearly 8 years of use. I now believe that I do get flyers due to the moly. My groups are more consistent and the aggs are better ans so too are my placings. I clean after every 15-20 rounds as a clean barrel will always shoot tight.
When I used Moly it has allowed me up to 40-50rds without cleaning my 6ppc, but my .22-250 always coppered up even with moly from the first round.......back to rule No1 clean barrels always shoot tight. Even if you use moly you are still leaving a layer of carbon after every shot. Even moly coated barrels feel tight as the first patch goes through indicating fouling. Fouling is the nemisis of accuracy. How a low drag bullet will go with moly before coppering/powder fouling occurs and significantly reduces accuracy, who knows but I reckon you need to see how many top shooters are using it and from the BR supershoot in the US no top 20 shooters use moly, that says volumes to me. You must consider that for long range accuracy you must ensure you do all the right things to aid the bullet, fouling as it build up only swages the bullet down as it passes the throat, approx 6" from the chamber. This smaller bullet now "rattles" down the barrel. This cannot be good for accuracy.
However I do use moly in my FO .223 purely to try and not clean during the days shooting, but I am considering cleaning between yardages as I know that when it is clean it shoots tight. If you can go with bare bullets and know when to clean to restore accuracy, then I'd rather not use moly. I guess its all a balancing act of when to clean or not to clean and how much accuracy degradation can you accept and still stay in the centre bull. So far I am able to complete the 3 yardages without cleaning. However, I do need more experience before I can reliably say whether I misread the conditions or whether the rifle is loosing the edge due to fouling as the cause for lost points. I also expect this to become more of an issue as the barrel becomes worn out.
Cheerio Ned

Dazza

#7 Postby Dazza » Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:36 am

So Ned, you dont want me to moly up the rest of your 80 grainers??

You cant argue with the results of my old Shilen barrel with BlitzKings. Thats been fed a constant diet of moly pills and has over 3000 rounds through it now, and only gets cleaned after every 3 club shoots..........

And it shoots a dead flat waterline at 600yds...........

The wind blows it 'round a bit though :lol: :lol:

Specially at 800yds when its transonic....... :D

Simon C

#8 Postby Simon C » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:16 pm

.......back to rule No1 clean barrels always shoot tight

TQ take notice of this :lol: :lol:

8)

My sentiments precisely Ned.

This is probably a good discussion for another thread................ie "to clean or not to clean" I suspect there will not be a consensus to that question!!!!!

Just out of interest, where does one aquire moly powder and how much does it cost?????........just another thing to potentially tinker with now!!!
"Aim small, miss small"

Simon

AlanF

#9 Postby AlanF » Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:00 pm

Simon C wrote:...where does one aquire moly powder and how much does it cost?????...

I bought some from our sponsor Pro-Cal - cost , about $20 for about a cupful from memory, but a little bit goes a long way - quarter of a teaspoon would do about 100 projectiles.

Alan

Dazza

#10 Postby Dazza » Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:41 am

Simon,

Look for a "Molybond" distributor in your area, and ask for Molybond ZX35 Superfine powder. I think its available in a 50 gram puff bottle. Should be enough to do 1000's of projectiles......

Regards,

Darren

Return to “Equipment & Technical”