rebarreling to 308

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

stu_bear2002

rebarreling to 308

#1 Postby stu_bear2002 » Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:13 pm

Hi all, after working at the commonwealth games (fullbore) i have decided to take up(with the permission of my better half :D ) target shooting. I am after some advice on a rebarreling job i was thinking of getting done. I currently have a mauser 96 in 6.5x55 and was thinking of rebarreling it to a 308 so i could use it in fclass and other long range target work. The plan was to use it with eagle eye peep sights. Would it be economicaly viable to do such a job or should i just sell the mauser and 303 i have and use the proceeds towards a new rifle?. Any help on this would be greatly appreciateted.
regards stuart
Stiller/holeshot .22LR
Bruno mod2(sleeved) .22LR
Rem7(sleeved) 6mmBR and 6mm Dasher
Stolle panda 6PPC
Winchester 101 12g

Dazza

#2 Postby Dazza » Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:43 pm

Stu,

Do you have a scope on the Mauser? If you do, you could use it to "test the waters" in F-Open at club shoots. Where you are located you could shoot at Weribee or Bacchus Marsh ranges. You could re-barrel it or sell the Mauser and 303 and look for a second hand Remington HB 308. Or there are plenty of second hand Omarks in 308 in gun shops all over Melbourne. If you plan on using aperture sights (in Full Bore) go and find an Omark.

I'm sure you'll get plenty of opinions :D

Regards,

Darren

#3 Postby Guest » Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:04 pm

Hi Stu,
If you are really serious, sell the mauser and 303 and build a dedicated FS or FO rifle ( with scope ) Go visit a club near you, as Dazza says, Werribee or Bacchus Marsh or maybe My club ( Castlemaine-- FS only )
Have a look at what,s around and what you require before committing a lot of cash. Talk to those who have been around for some time. Do it right the first time and you won't be disappointed. Do it wrong or take bad advice and you will be disallusioned. And take your wife with you she might just like it too, and if she does, you are set for life.
If you want to visit us here at Castlemaine send me a PM.
Barry

Dazza

#4 Postby Dazza » Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:48 pm

Barry,

How come Castlemaine is F-Std only??

Darren

#5 Postby Guest » Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:46 pm

Dazza.
Don,t know mate, they all seem to be happy doing what they are doing.
Main reason probably is that they had the gear and could shoot FS for the minimum of change over cost, makes sense doesn,t it?
Barry

#6 Postby Guest » Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:56 pm

Dazza,

Castlemaine is not F standard ONLY(as in no FO allowed) we just dont have any F open shooters. Possibly for the reasons stated above, maybe some other reasons would contribute but i dont know for sure.

Dazza

#7 Postby Dazza » Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:46 pm

Adam,

I was just wondering.... Barry posted

"( Castlemaine-- FS only )"

I've shot an FO event in Castlemaine, I was just a bit confused. :D

I enjoyed shooting there, and its only a short trip from my place. I'll
back next November for your OPM.

Regards,

Darren

#8 Postby Guest » Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:07 pm

Dazza,

Hope to see you there, bring some friends too. :D

Peter Marum

F std

#9 Postby Peter Marum » Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:11 pm

Stuart,
Fclass std is the way to go, aquire a omark or other type of TR action , a good barrel in either 223 or 308, a reasonable 30mm tube scope and enjoy yourself, There are lots of f class shooters out there that will help you get on the right track. Do not be taken in on all the semantics that go on in this forum. I think you would get lots of help from the Castlemain club, go for it.

Regards,

Peter

stu_bear2002

will make decision based on your answers

#10 Postby stu_bear2002 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:56 pm

Thanks for all your help guys all this has opened my eyes so to speak. I was offered a 26" chrome moly 308 barrel today threaded for the mod 96 that has a 1-10 twist with a target reccessed crown for $468 i was wondering would the twist rate and length of barrel be adequate for f-class and if not what would be better?
regards stuey
Stiller/holeshot .22LR
Bruno mod2(sleeved) .22LR
Rem7(sleeved) 6mmBR and 6mm Dasher
Stolle panda 6PPC
Winchester 101 12g

Simon C

#11 Postby Simon C » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:02 pm

1:10 is fine for 308 FS
"Aim small, miss small"

Simon

ned kelly

#12 Postby ned kelly » Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:55 am

G'Day Stu,
I've got a fluted maddco 308 with a 1:10 twist as a take off barrel from an omark (I think but not real sure) and it is 26" long. It has done about 1500 rounds and the bore was in excellent condition (I used a borescope to inspect prior to purchase) A rechamber and you would get significant life out of it. Yours for $150 or best offer. It was for a project that never got off the ground.
I'm in Woodend if you want to look at it, we can meet at Werribee or Bacchus Marsh if you like
Cheerio Ned

ned kelly

Barrel for sale?

#13 Postby ned kelly » Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:56 am

G'Day All,
Or anyone else interested?

Cheerio Ned

AlanF

Re: rebarreling to 308

#14 Postby AlanF » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:16 am

stu_bear2002 wrote:...The plan was to use it with eagle eye peep sights...

Stuey,

I notice that your interest started from your involvement in the Commonwealth Games, and your initial idea was to shoot with peep sights (fullbore). This website is for scope shooters, so understandably, that's what most of our people will recommend for you. Be aware that F-Class is not C'wealth or Olympic Games sport. If you're not sure about whether to shoot F-Class or fullbore, I'd still go to a range such as Castlemaine where they shoot both, and talk to the shooters. The recommended way to start fullbore is to learn the basics of sighting, holding (sling) and trigger technique in smallbore before having to contend with the recoil and weather conditions of fullbore. F-Class on the other hand has a far shorter learning curve, and it is not uncommon for new shooters to become highly competitive very quickly, particularly if they have good equipment and in easy weather conditions. I should warn you that if you start shooting F-Class first, and have early success, you will become hooked!

Alan :D

Return to “Equipment & Technical”