7mm rsaum questions

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Gyro

Re: 7mm rsaum questions

#31 Postby Gyro » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:46 pm

What about running the case into your bushing die just enough to form a "false shoulder" to get a good fire form in the chamber with cream of wheat or lead bullets ? Then turn the necks to size.

I've done plenty of fire forming with ADI Trail Boss powder and lead bullets. I've done the cream of wheat method too but way easier to use lead bullets I reckon. But then I know a guy who can cast the lead bullets at a good price.

It's all a heap of shagging around though !

saum2

#32 Postby saum2 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:41 pm

Albert,
I have a .284 blank die to run your reamer into to make a resizing die if you want.
Geoff

David B

#33 Postby David B » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:24 pm

Albert I have machined Wilson dies to do this, depending on the hardness of your die you can always make the bushing recess deeper.

Brad Y

#34 Postby Brad Y » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:15 pm

I have adjusted my redding bushing fl die further down to really bump the shoulders right back a fair bit, turn, then loaded and go. Four firings on them so far and no sign of problems

ajvanwyk

#35 Postby ajvanwyk » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:13 am

Brad Y wrote:I have adjusted my redding bushing fl die further down to really bump the shoulders right back a fair bit, turn, then loaded and go. Four firings on them so far and no sign of problems

Brad, when I've done this I had to bump the shoulder min 6thou.. needless to say they were terrible on first firing....

I had thought that maybe I should turn them while they are still 30 cal before backing down.

Albert
Albert
Rosedale Rifle Club
Australian Points Series

ajvanwyk

#36 Postby ajvanwyk » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:17 am

Rebel105 wrote:Albert,
I have a .284 blank die to run your reamer into to make a resizing die if you want.
Geoff

Geoff, this would be ideal but I unfortunately do not have my own reamer, nor do I have the specs.... so this won't help short term...

This is confirmation that I need to get one and be closer to the details..

Thank you for the advise.
Albert
Rosedale Rifle Club
Australian Points Series

saum2

#37 Postby saum2 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:59 am

Albert,
You must have some chamber specs as you have prepared brass for it in the past?? you would know neck diameter as I believe you neck turn? I tried a couple of new pieces of brass in my die yesterday. New .30" cal brass came out at .316" neck then I ran it through my standard FLS die = ready to use. I have a bushing die. A standard reamer in a blank will get your brass down near where you need to be, then you use your normal resizing die. I'm sure David B has one.
Geoff

Brad Y

#38 Postby Brad Y » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:02 am

ajvanwyk wrote:
Brad Y wrote:I have adjusted my redding bushing fl die further down to really bump the shoulders right back a fair bit, turn, then loaded and go. Four firings on them so far and no sign of problems

Brad, when I've done this I had to bump the shoulder min 6thou.. needless to say they were terrible on first firing....

I had thought that maybe I should turn them while they are still 30 cal before backing down.

Albert

Yes I usually go 10-15 thou where possible. Downside is first firing needs a solid jam so primers go off. I do a soft firing on all my cases first (habit from having a 284) so the first firings are purely to fireform and do that. Good enough for club accuracy and to help run the barrel in to speed up point before doing final load testing.

David B

#39 Postby David B » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:02 pm

Rebel105 wrote:Albert,
You must have some chamber specs as you have prepared brass for it in the past?? you would know neck diameter as I believe you neck turn? I tried a couple of new pieces of brass in my die yesterday. New .30" cal brass came out at .316" neck then I ran it through my standard FLS die = ready to use. I have a bushing die. A standard reamer in a blank will get your brass down near where you need to be, then you use your normal resizing die. I'm sure David B has one.
Geoff

You are correct Geoff

KHGS

#40 Postby KHGS » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:05 am

Necking cases down without a form die (or dies) is a bit like sucking lemons! I neck 30/06 brass down for my 280HI which is designed around 30/06 brass by using a form die. I haven't lost a case yet & I get good accuracy (not match winning but o.k. for club shooting) while fireforming with a gentle load of 2208 & 168grn bullets with no headspacing issues or missfires.
Keith H.

Paul Janzso

#41 Postby Paul Janzso » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:41 pm

For SAUM brass give Bertram a call
I met him on the weekend and he had SAUM brass on hand
I didn't get his card so I don't know his phone #
Cheers
Time's a wasted wot's not spent shooti'n BARNARD 300WSM's

ajvanwyk

#42 Postby ajvanwyk » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:42 pm

Paul Janzso wrote:For SAUM brass give Bertram a call
I met him on the weekend and he had SAUM brass on hand
I didn't get his card so I don't know his phone #
Cheers

Thanks Paul. I have done a review of them here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9199&p=75834#p75834
Albert
Rosedale Rifle Club
Australian Points Series

RDavies

#43 Postby RDavies » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:44 pm

I found the same thing when I used a Redding FLS bushing die, the bushing only reach down about .040" short of the neck shoulder junction. I found the Whidden FLS die sized down closer to the neck, maybe around .010" short of the neck/shoulder junction.
I now initially size the neck down a few thou under sized first time, then use a straight expander mandrel to take it back up to size internally for neck turning.

If you don't have a Whidden die, what you can try is this.
1. Size the neck down with a Redding bushing die a few thou under what you would normally use.
2. Get a bushing .001" bigger than you just used to size the neck and just use an arbour press to push the bushing by itself down the last .040" or so to the neck/shoulder junction. With an arbour press you will feel when you hit the junction so unless you get heavy handed, you wont push the shoulder back.
3. Use an internal mandrel to expand the ID out to correct neck turning size.

ajvanwyk

#44 Postby ajvanwyk » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:42 am

Rod,

This was really good advise and worked a charm. I was a little apprehensive when pushing the bushing down unsupported but a dial guage on the arbour press helped to keep think rather consistent.

Albert
Albert
Rosedale Rifle Club
Australian Points Series

DaveMc

#45 Postby DaveMc » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:15 am

Hi Albert, We have a resizing reamer for that chamber of yours (can't be done properly with chamber reamer). Just email the guys at CRM and they can make you a custom sizing die that will be straighter and simpler than anything else you do. Not only handy for sizing new brass but also for straight ammo matching the chamber in your loading process.
I think they still have a few blanks in there too.

Dave

Return to “Equipment & Technical”