Barrel Tuners

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

macguru

Barrel Tuners

#1 Postby macguru » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:12 pm

Can anyone recommend a barrel tuner I could try on my krieger #17 HV saum ? I measured it and its 23mm at the muzzle and 23.4mm about an inch back... ideally i would like to order something i can just clamp or locktite on, rather than have the barrel removed and machined just for an experiment

(The Davies tuner will not fit, i have already emailed Adam)
id quod est

chrisw91

Re: Barrel Tuners

#2 Postby chrisw91 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:32 pm

Are you after an adjustable one or fixed weight?

macguru

#3 Postby macguru » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:33 pm

adjustable
id quod est

Fergus Bailey

#4 Postby Fergus Bailey » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:06 pm

Its not a clamp or glue on as it requires a threaded muzzle, but I would be using a Buckys tuner. Paul Sullivan brings them in: http://www.topgunmfg.com.au/

I would not be using anything but a threaded muzzle style tuner myself.

williada

#5 Postby williada » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:00 pm

Macguru,

My tuner stem was made from an old barrel stub turned thinly and the thimble is brass. I cut an internal taper on the lathe and slipped it over the barrel which has similar dimensions to yours. It was an interference fit and just Locktighted. It has never moved. It will be loosened with a yellow torch flame of my oxy and will not harm things in due course.

I suggest you make the stem of the tuner about 2 inches long as a starter. Slip an inch on the barrel and fit your thimble on the remaining inch in front of the muzzle. Initially vary the total weight of different thimbles for testing to make up total weights of 2 ozs, or 4 ozs. I went for a thread pitch of 32 to the inch. You would probably need a minimum bore of about .8" in the tuner barrel. I inserted a neoprene ring in a groove between the barrel and the thimble and fix the position by way of a grub screw.

Your starting point for tuner testing should be a turn out from the muzzle. Thereafter go in 1/4 turn increments to map and plot the performance with shots.

Beware a tuner can upset the balance point and be counter productive.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”