New Rifle

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Dermott

New Rifle

#1 Postby Dermott » Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:35 am

I am interested in a new rifle for varmint and possibly to join a club and shoot f class. At the moment trying to understand the rules. I am interested in two rifles Remington VSF in .223 and Tikka Varmint Stainless. Really like the Remington but the barrel twist is 1/12 as compared to Tikka 1/8. It sounds like to shoot competitively the remingtons twist is to high. Would appreciate help or any suggestions.

#2 Postby Guest » Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:17 am

Hi Dermott.
The 12 twist barrel is way to slow for target shooting in .223. 7 0r 8 twist is necessary for the 80 gn projectile.
One other point, there are Varmint rifles and there are Target rifles, to each their own.
If you seriously want to shoot and compete in target F Class then do yourself a favour and purchase a target rifle which will accurately go the distance ( 1000 yds) where your 24" barreled varmint rifle will not, despite what some people will tell you.
Barry

Paul Janzso

#3 Postby Paul Janzso » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:48 pm

Hi Dermott

I have a Tikka Tactical model in 223 with the 1:8 twist a 20min. rail with a 16 power variable scope. All I am doing is having the throat altered by Geoff Grenfell to suit the Sierra 80gn MK's as pressure is too high with the standard throat.

Have a look at the Tikka Super Varmint in 223 or 308, as long as you have a 20min rail you will make it to 1,000y and you will be able to go hunting as well.

I get 2,900fps with the 80gn Sierra MK's and have shot all ranges in F Class with some very negative people saying "it will not make the distance" . The Tikka will make a cheep start up for F. Class and if you are not happy with F Class you have a hunting rifle of good quality as oposed to going hunting with a target rifle.

Cheers
pest bird
:shock:
Time's a wasted wot's not spent shooti'n BARNARD 300WSM's

John E

#4 Postby John E » Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:45 am

Pest Bird,
you have got me interested. I have a Tikka T3 Lite Stainless in 30.06, and it is the most accurate hunting rifle that I have ever owned. The Tikka has to shoot 1" x 3 shot groups out of the box, and mine does much better than that. As most of my shots are taken at distances closer than 100yds,I have it zeroed at 100yds with 180gn projectiles and allow for the drop if I need to take a longer shot.
A couple of weeks ago, I loaded up some 220 gn Woodleighs, and took it to the range to see what the elevation difference would be between them and the 180s. The zero target I use has a 1" white square in a black frame, and I used one white patch to cover three holes from the previous zeroing effort.
I then fired the first shot from the hip,into the stopbutt, to see how it would handle the 220gner and the load, then I took it back to 100yds and put 5 shots into the white square. To my surprise, the elevation was exactly the same as the 180s, and that made a total of 8 shots inside 1" at 100yds. The scope is a Pecar 3 -7 with a no.14 reticle, and the rifle weighs 3.25 kg with the scope. The current price of the rifle is $900, and the scope cost $1250, and I would be quite happy to use it in an FS match at close range as I have shot a string of centrals ( or 6s) on a full bore target with it at 300yds. I don't know what the muzzle velocity is, as I have never chronographed it, but I wouldn't expect it to be very fast out of the 24" barrel.
Is your barrel the original Tikka barrel, what length is it, and what loads are you using to get 2900fps, please? I know there is a world of difference between the T3 Lite and the Tactical rifle, but I agree with your advice to Dermott, to buy a Tikka. He won't regret having it for a hunting rifle, even if he doesn't persist with target shooting.
John

Paul Janzso

#5 Postby Paul Janzso » Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:02 pm

Hi John E

My Tikka Tactical has a factory standard 20 inch barrel and I use 25gn of ADI 2206H with Rem. 71/2 primers and Sierra 80gn MK's .Do not duplicate this load as it is very hot. That is why I am getting the barrel re-throated by Geoff Grenfell.
I also have a Tikka Master Sporter in 3006, but I have not used it , it probably would be great for F Class if the 220gn Siera MK's would shoot at a reasonable velocity.

Cheers
pest bird

John E

#6 Postby John E » Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:32 pm

The barrel on my T3 lite is closer to 22" than 24", but it is still the best sporter that I own. Maybe you should try some 155s in your 30 06. I reckon it would be a goer.
John

Paul Janzso

#7 Postby Paul Janzso » Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:58 pm

Hi John

I actually have the Tikka Master Sporter in the Adelaide Gun Shop for sale. It being a right hander makes it hard for me to shoot over long ranges with my bung right eye.
I think the 3006 would be better suited to heavier , higher BC bullets than 155gners. Also the 3006 is in the "Open class" in F Class.

Cheers
pest bird

balcom

#8 Postby balcom » Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:01 pm

Pest Bird,
I would suggest that you forget about using a 30 06 in F Open, there is too much reciol in it to make it competitive but good luck, you would be better off rechambering it to a 6.5 or 7mm, talk to your club members and see what they think.
Cheers PeterH :D :D :D

bruce talty

Re: New Rifle

#9 Postby bruce talty » Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:50 pm

Dermott wrote:I am interested in a new rifle for varmint and possibly to join a club and shoot f class. At the moment trying to understand the rules. I am interested in two rifles Remington VSF in .223 and Tikka Varmint Stainless. Really like the Remington but the barrel twist is 1/12 as compared to Tikka 1/8. It sounds like to shoot competitively the remingtons twist is to high. Would appreciate help or any suggestions.
Hi Dermott don't buy either of these rifles buy a Savage single shot they shoot streight out of the box and if you change your mind and want to shoot other calibers you only have to change bolt heads which are about $US 18.00 complete and just swich barrels buy unscrewing the barrel nut. Bruce

#10 Postby Guest » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:02 am

Pest Bird,
25gn of 2206h? Thats a full grain above ADI recommended Max load.
Rather irresponsible don't you think?
A classical example of why I pressed for a min barrel length to be written into the new rules.
Barry

dave.c

#11 Postby dave.c » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:22 am

Barry Davies wrote:Pest Bird,
25gn of 2206h? Thats a full grain above ADI recommended Max load.
Rather irresponsible don't you think?
A classical example of why I pressed for a min barrel length to be written into the new rules.
Barry
That load was quoated for a 24 inch barrel,pest bird only has a 20 incher.

#12 Postby Guest » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:49 am

Does,nt make any difference. Max load is Max load irrespective of barrel length.Short barrels give you less speed than longer barrels. The longer the barrel ( up to a certain limit ) the more speed obtained, therefore the less load necessary to obtain same. It's because of his 20" barrel that he needs to load above max recomend. to achieve the 2900 f/s.
.I know barrels vary one to another, and so do batches of powder. and thats why it is better to us a longer barrel to achieve a specified speed, because when working above max loads, a change in powder batch without first checking can be disasterous.
ADI don't publish max recom. loads for no reason.
Barry

Dermott

#13 Postby Dermott » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:38 pm

Thanks For your responses,
I think i will be going with the Super Varmint though i still keep looking around. I don't have the greatest knowledge in this field so your advice is most appreciated. Looking to put a scope on with the power of 6 x 20 - 40. Do you think that this will be ok. Still confused but learning heaps.
Cheers,
Derm
:?

AlanF

#14 Postby AlanF » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:31 am

Dermott,

One thing that comes through quite clearly if you read the American forums is that the Savage Model 12 stands out as exceptionally accurate - as Bruce says above, straight out of the box. And there is a 26" barrel model, with single shot if you like, but maybe not if its to be used for hunting also. The Savage would be my choice if I read your needs correctly.

Alan

Return to “Equipment & Technical”