New ultrasonic cleaner required

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Tim L

Re: New ultrasonic cleaner required

#16 Postby Tim L » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:35 am

Just to add my 2c. With wet tumbling I fear bigger is worse and that's where some of the damage comes from. I've been running the 3kg Chinese tumblers from ebay for over a year now. It took me a while to get things sorted but 1kg of pins, 1 litre of water, 1 desert spoon of MP103 burnishing compound from Aussie Sapphire and tumble for one hour on the slowest speed with the reverse tumble action on.

Clean inside and out, no peening (I've not even detected any damage to newly chamfered necks), pockets like new if they were reamed (they tend to hold a bit of crap if they weren't). Pins are 0.047x0.255" I did try larger pins earlier on but found them stuck in flash holes and wedged in necks (I think the wedging issue (and maybe the peening problem) was due to those pins having been cut on a diagonal leaving a pretty sharp point) The pins I found are like needle roller bearing pins with a rounded end. Point to note: That mixed shape media that's available is just a nightmare! I have never found the pins I use to stick anywhere on 222,223,243,6.5x284,303 or 308 cases, but there are occasions where a bunch will need shaking out of the case simply because there are so many inside. It doesn't happen often and you can easily feel the extra weight even with 3 or 4 cases in your hand.

A quick rinse is necessary or surface tarnishing can occur, then an hour or so in the Queensland sun seems to be the most cost effective method to dry (wear sunnies because the cases are mighty shinny 8)

These tumblers will do
50 x 6.5x284
50-60 x 308/243
100 x 223

I was going to upgrade to one of the larger tumblers but working with the adage that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" I decided to get 2 more small ones instead. Mainly due to the results, but it also gives me a bit of redundancy if one stuffs up.

macguru

#17 Postby macguru » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:47 am

why do you clean the cases at all ?

I wash them usually and wipe the outsides but i dont care if the insides are shiny

surely the risk of blowing a bit of media down your barrel is worse than a little soot ?

just asking ....
id quod est

johnk

#18 Postby johnk » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:46 pm

I used to get worried when I had to fullish size cases & those flakes of carbon fell out of the cases - but that was in 2206 days admittedly.

Tim L

#19 Postby Tim L » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:34 pm

macguru wrote:why do you clean the cases at all ?

I wash them usually ....

What am I missing here?

Why do YOU wash them?

Personally I do it to prevent a buildup of crud on my dies. Also to enable a better inspection, eliminate the need to clean primer pockets and to reduce contamination in the neck. A clean case that's been fired also provides a nice clear witness mark for gas seal on the neck.
And I like shinny brass 8) :D

Cleaning in a tumbler takes about an hour, and another hour to dry, but it only costs me about 5 minutes/50 cases in labour. I end up with a case that is perfectly clean and blemish free so it effectively shouts at me if there's anything wrong with it, so it becomes a huge time saver on the QA front as well.

As for blowing media down the barrel, Once I've primed and have the cases in the loading tray it takes about 5 seconds to scan the necks. Because the cases are clean inside it's an easy task to see if there's anything in there. I've yet to find a pin, although I must admit I have found them on the towel I use for drying so it remains a possibility, hence the final check before the powder goes in.

macguru

#20 Postby macguru » Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:17 pm

I clean any residual lube off them and wipe the carbon off with a rag while watching TV :)

and for your dies...
you are better off cleaning the inside of your resizing die every now and then .............. imho
id quod est

johnk

#21 Postby johnk » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:43 pm

.... and using a universal decapping die first.

BATattack

#22 Postby BATattack » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:20 pm

Tim L wrote:Just to add my 2c. With wet tumbling I fear bigger is worse and that's where some of the damage comes from. I've been running the 3kg Chinese tumblers from ebay for over a year now. It took me a while to get things sorted but 1kg of pins, 1 litre of water, 1 desert spoon of MP103 burnishing compound from Aussie Sapphire and tumble for one hour on the slowest speed with the reverse tumble action on.

Clean inside and out, no peening (I've not even detected any damage to newly chamfered necks), pockets like new if they were reamed (they tend to hold a bit of crap if they weren't). Pins are 0.047x0.255" I did try larger pins earlier on but found them stuck in flash holes and wedged in necks (I think the wedging issue (and maybe the peening problem) was due to those pins having been cut on a diagonal leaving a pretty sharp point) The pins I found are like needle roller bearing pins with a rounded end. Point to note: That mixed shape media that's available is just a nightmare! I have never found the pins I use to stick anywhere on 222,223,243,6.5x284,303 or 308 cases, but there are occasions where a bunch will need shaking out of the case simply because there are so many inside. It doesn't happen often and you can easily feel the extra weight even with 3 or 4 cases in your hand.

A quick rinse is necessary or surface tarnishing can occur, then an hour or so in the Queensland sun seems to be the most cost effective method to dry (wear sunnies because the cases are mighty shinny 8)

These tumblers will do
50 x 6.5x284
50-60 x 308/243
100 x 223

I was going to upgrade to one of the larger tumblers but working with the adage that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" I decided to get 2 more small ones instead. Mainly due to the results, but it also gives me a bit of redundancy if one stuffs up.

Thanks for the info Tim! Is this the tumbler your using?

http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/Rotary-Tumbler ... nav=SEARCH

I can see merit in using a smaller drum to prevent brass damage and also agree with the time management aspects of the tumbling process either dry or wet.

Where did you get the small pins from?

Tim L

#23 Postby Tim L » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:57 pm

That's the one mate. Bought on a budget but turned out to be a smart buy. I got the pins from ebay as well. A US company ships them in 50lb bags. I'll post a link next time I'm on the pc. (The phone won't do links)

Asgardloki

#24 Postby Asgardloki » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:33 am

Hi Tim,
About to buy one of these tumblers, any chance of a link for the correct media?
EDIT:Aussie sapphire have SS pins now too will just buy those ones

Also how has your tumbling experience been in the last 3 years?

Anyone tried the 5kg version?

Cheers
James

michaeljp

#25 Postby michaeljp » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:33 pm

I gave up on tumbling my PPC brass. Now i just put each case in a case holder in the drill and use 0000 steel wool to clean the carbon off the necks and a quick run over the body with the steel wool.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”