Barrel Harmonics , the 8 modes

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

plumbs7

Barrel Harmonics , the 8 modes

#1 Postby plumbs7 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:42 pm

Well it's raining and I'm house bound ! So a little board and you know how much I love OzFclass lol! Below is a link explaining about barrel harmonics . Hopeing to start an informative thred , but won't be sticking my neck out this time ( as that hurt a bit lol!). Regards Graham.
http://www.varmintal.com/amode.htm

XCALIBRE

Re: Barrel Harmonics , the 8 modes

#2 Postby XCALIBRE » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:00 pm

Will throw a wobbly in the works! My old man spent 25 years in the AIF in the Instructor Corps. The precursor to the now SAS. In that role he trained members of the AIF for the Kings shoot off against all Commonwealth countries. This was all .303 stuff pre WW11. His trained handling of a rifle still leaves me in awe of what I have seen him do with a rifle on a range. Be that as it may one of the very important things he taught me was first off look at the stars in a barrel! Did not have a clue what he was talking about! After looking for real stars in a blue sky, thought he was nuts. But he persisted and told me to look for the stars inside the barrel on the edges of the rifling. If there is some missing at different sections of the barrel it will not be accurate no matter. The next step was bedding. Not free floating! All of a sudden my apple cart was upside down! He would spend many months hand shaping the fore end timber work to within thousands of an inch so that the accurate and true barrel just kissed the wood work over it's entire length. The Reason? 1. To absorb barrel vibration. 2. To keep the barrel heat expansion in a straight line, no bending or deformation. 3. Never let anyone interfere with you rifle.
His expertise is still displayed in the Sydney Technical Museum to this day.
F TROOP, SHOOTING F CLASS.

S.S NO FEAR

#3 Postby S.S NO FEAR » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:09 pm

hello plumbs .the only why to fix the problem is to send it to a good gunsmithy . there is a good one not far from you .do a rechamber back to 6.5 creedmoor .i will give you the load data .you saw it shoot at the prize shoot in Monto fire forming brass. :D

plumbs7

#4 Postby plumbs7 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:47 pm

S.S NO FEAR wrote:hello plumbs .the only why to fix the problem is to send it to a good gunsmithy . there is a good one not far from you .do a rechamber back to 6.5 creedmoor .i will give you the load data .you saw it shoot at the prize shoot in Monto fire forming brass. :D

Hi Steve , ( I believe it is !) yes I'm still not talking to myself ( nor to my alter ego Plumbs 7) and about to go to 6.5 creed-moor and ditch the 7 mm after I have a Lobotomy! Lol!
It was strange in those light conditions the 7 mm's seem to struggle ( or maybe I was the only hopeless one). Could be my big knob ( and Big Head ) and I may have blown an o ring too! Truth be known was just the nut behind the butt . I was just outshot by a buch of great shooters with me wandering "where did the wind go?, which flag ? Mirage ! What mirage! Lol!

Was great to see such close , great skill and top shooting and the small 22's and 6.5's kicking butt ( naked and no barrel tuners or weights ) for a change ! Still had a ball though specially with the ratgun 22 Br . Will be chambering one up in my Omark as soon as have a spare buck or 2 .
Regards Graham.
Last edited by plumbs7 on Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

S.S NO FEAR

#5 Postby S.S NO FEAR » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:11 pm

Yes. not to put a spanner in the works ,will start to build a straight 284 for the longs and windy days pass the 700 yard mark , CR for 300 to 700 maybe 800 not windy and 284 for 800 to 1000 cheers steveo :)

plumbs7

#6 Postby plumbs7 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:14 pm

S.S NO FEAR wrote:Yes. not to put a spanner in the works ,will start to build a straight 284 for the longs and windy days pass the 700 yard mark , CR for 300 to 700 maybe 800 not windy and 284 for 800 to 1000 cheers steveo :)

Sounds like the plan ! But you've got that 6.5 humming with some good form from the pilot too! Can't go wrong with a straight .284 too! Catch ya mate ! Good luck at Qld Queens too!

GSells

#7 Postby GSells » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:17 pm

Hi I’m just dragging up some old threads for newbies. Thought the link was a good one to explain the nodes of harmonics.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”