new rifle purchase

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

pigdog

Re: new rifle purchase

#16 Postby pigdog » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:15 pm

Some good ideas coming through there. Macguru when you say look at getting a tikka turned into a tac rig any suggestions? Is this something custom or where do you even start looking for something like that? I hadn't even thought about looking at second hand especially not for the gun I don't think I could buy a second hand gun just too many what ifs but a second hand scope!!! Now that could
Be a great idea I will start looking into that as well.

Razor what model exactly Leupold are you referring to we have hunting leupold with the standard duplex I typed in the model you said leupold v series a whole bunch of vx and other scopes come up so many models. The mark 4 model seems to come in mil mil?

Razer

#17 Postby Razer » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:25 pm

http://www.ozriflescopes.com.au/leupold ... scope.html

This one, but you could pick one up on https://www.usedguns.com.au/ and with Leupold, no matter who bought it, the scope carries a lifetime warranty so even if you thought it was suss after purchase, NIOA will fix it for free. Just send it post paid to the address on their website. Just don't buy obscure brands as you never know what you are getting. Buy once and cry once!! Same goes for rifles and is the reason my hunting rifles are all Sako. Bought my first one in 1958 (.243W) and it is still in my safe and still shoots 1/2 moa.

The scope above(in link) has front parallax which is usually ok within 90% of your shooting range, but I prefer side parallax for speed and convenience.
I actually have a VX111 LR in 6.5-20x40 fine duplex which has side parallax and Stoney Point target knobs for elevation and windage which I used in Fclass when my eyes were good.
I am clearing out most of my gear so it will be on the market soon complete with a set of Leupold Luminia Intensifier lens(cost me $180)
It is the link below, the top one with side Parallax, the one underneath is the EFR model. Mine, complete with target knobs and with the tinted lenses will be going for about $900 with original box and sunshield.

https://www.thebarn.net.au/Products/LEU ... +LR+/13845
This is an Aussie site so price is in $AU but I did notice their price was for a 30mm tube whereas the scope pictured has 25m tube. Their address is in contacts and they are in QLD.

Just beware of buying on EBay as with Leupold, the Chinese made a knock off(has no gold ring) which is a piece of crap and quite a few were on EBay. Shouldn't have this problem with shooter specific sites. [-o<

pigdog

#18 Postby pigdog » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:34 am

thanks for that info razer some great info there mate, your scope with the fine duplex I'm guessing this is for range use only at targets of known distance would that be right? as your not using it to range targets? What are your thoughts on scopes such as nightfore compact mil mil, or similar scopes used to range targets in the bush or on the farm of unknown distance without a range finder? Ive been watching the sniper 101 series on youtube dunno if anyone here has seen it but this guy seems to know his stuff and is doing the type of shooting I'm interested in ie shooting in the field at targets of unknown distance, he uses these types of scopes to range targets in the field he also has a range finder as well but emphasises the need to have pratical skills if needed to manually calculate uses math to make extreme shots out to and over a mile with his 338 lapua very interesting.

Razer

#19 Postby Razer » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:51 pm

Mm! Scopes to range targets without a range finder?
Problem, is it a big pig or a little pig/deer/fox, etc. If you are close enough to discern that, then you should be able to judge the distance and just aim under/over. If you can't discern whether it is big or small, then your mildots, hashes, whatever are useless. If you are a fair dinkum hunter, then you go with an uncluttered reticle!
The only alternative is a Leupold Varmint Reticle which are almost fool prove but is the dearest reticle they sell.
As for YouTube, what you see here is way outside the realms of what your original intent is. Very technical and by the time you converted all the info, the target has moved or gone!!
An ethical kill on any game is paramount if you want to classify yourself as a genuine hunter so bear this in mind before getting too carried away as to how far you intend to attempt to shoot at any living game. That is why Range shooting and lots of trigger time is so important to instinctively shoulder a rifle and be competent in placing your shot accurately.
Best you focus on acquiring a rifle of suitable calibre and quality first, then join a club where you will learn more in a couple of range days than a year experimenting in the paddock. :idea:

macguru

#20 Postby macguru » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:37 pm

id quod est

pigdog

#21 Postby pigdog » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:00 pm

macguru I checked out your link it took me to the usedguns website which I have been to already? I'm not very good with computers I'm thinking maybe it was a specific gun you were linking? There are some excellent guns on there I guess it is a gamble as to peoples honesty on round counts etc but some great guns.

razer I think my intentions are not very clear when trying to put it onto a computer, I never intend to shoot at animals at long range. when I meant range targets I mean a rock, or tree or ant hill etc at an unknown distance then calculating the firing solution to make a first round hit. I realize this is extremely difficult but certainly possible.

plumbs7

#22 Postby plumbs7 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:18 pm

pigdog wrote:thanks for that info razer some great info there mate, your scope with the fine duplex I'm guessing this is for range use only at targets of known distance would that be right? as your not using it to range targets? What are your thoughts on scopes such as nightfore compact mil mil, or similar scopes used to range targets in the bush or on the farm of unknown distance without a range finder? Ive been watching the sniper 101 series on youtube dunno if anyone here has seen it but this guy seems to know his stuff and is doing the type of shooting I'm interested in ie shooting in the field at targets of unknown distance, he uses these types of scopes to range targets in the field he also has a range finder as well but emphasises the need to have pratical skills if needed to manually calculate uses math to make extreme shots out to and over a mile with his 338 lapua very interesting.

Mastering the skill needed to field shoot eg range finding with the mil rectile is a skill with in itsself ! It's fine to be shooting Steele out in a large paddock with limited marksmenship skills . But Lr hunting is my belief something that you have to earn and qualify for ! Eg you can't fluke wind reading ! It's a skill that can take a lifetime to fully master ! That's where you should get into f class at club level ! Then you really see what's happening when wind comes to play and how accurate your rifle really is ?
I remember the first time I shot with my 20" .308 at Belmont when it was blowing a gale and couldn't believe how much correction I had to add , from memory about 1.8 mills or 1.3 m's ! So it opened my eyes to how much work I would have to do to master wind reading and even think about pulling a 400m shot in any wind !
These days in the field my errors are ranging errors as milling out is not perfect and you really should only use a Leica range finder as an error of 50 m is the difference of hitting and dropping short . My winds calls are mostly sound ( nobody is perfect!). But I've mastered wind calling through lots of comps and club work to call the wind and mirage in varying conditions! Something that I would have never learnt without competing ! Or learning to be calm under pressure!
These are skills that just can't be fudged ! And out in the field when it comes time to pull that trigger on a pig or deer at 600 yds . YOU WiLL Be found wanting at the expense of a live animal ! Maybe even dialling one whole turn out on your dope and endangering others over a 1000 yds away ! Buck fever or pig fever will cause this !
If you don't want to qualify as a marksmen via f class or practical rifle competition, then limit your shots to 350 m's at the most and practice in the paddock up to that range !
Otherwise you have no business going any further!

It's like driving a bobcat ! Anyone can move a bucket of dirt from a to b ! But you most certainly notice when a master gets behind the controls !

I am a hunter before I'm a f class shooter and have been since I was 13 . The type of shooting you are interested in also interested me too!
I started out with a howa .308 and Nikko nighteater scope in mills . Just a side note , for field shooting, milrads is the only angular measurement to be used as it's just so easy and quick!
Anyway I cut bits of 90 mm pvc at about 500 mm and 600 mm and fixed them on a heaps of trees at unknown distances and just practiced every afternoon with the bolt out , doing the math and ranging out 400 m 's . Then I went about proving it with the ballistics. But at that stage I was very green and wandered why I was on target at 150' m but was off the target at 400 m !
It was the wind ?

I milled out more times than I cared to count and made first round hits in wind at extended ranges !
All I can say is more trigger time than you can even start to think you need !practice, practice and practice.

Most notably was on steel with my .338 at 1700 m cold bore ! ( well ok it was 12" disk and it went just skimming at 11 o'clock with fair bit of wind but suprised even me at how close we got it first shot . Wind About 5-6 mph 1-3 o'clock .
The Leica runs out of puff (1600b) on large targets at about 1200 yds depending on conditions. So we had to mill it out with a 2850 mm (from Memory) piece of pvc pipe .
https://youtu.be/XHGKIzCcVa0

But in summation, ! Anyone can plug in a few numbers in ballistics calc and think they are a marksmen !

But that title has to be earnt! I highly recommend you joining a club and learning ! As there is just a mountain to learn to get that proficient to be able to earn the right to LR hunt !

macguru

#23 Postby macguru » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:44 pm

pigdog that links to a tikka that has been tac'ed up to the eyeballs and i just though you could google some of the stuff like the stock if that interests you. Just remember if you try to do it all with one rifle you will get one thats a bit heavy for carry/hunting and not a full blown target rifle for max scores. But fun all the same for casual. Also, a 308 may be a better idea, as you could shoot it in f std, although a 6.5 swede would be good too....
id quod est

SunnyCoast 5r

#24 Postby SunnyCoast 5r » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:22 am

Any update on which way you went with the rifle Pigdog? Many of us also hunt so we are interested in how it all goes. Thanks. PS I have found my F class experience has helped my hunting immeasurably.

Asgardloki

#25 Postby Asgardloki » Sun May 14, 2017 10:13 pm

yep keen to hear on this as well!!

pigdog

#26 Postby pigdog » Mon May 15, 2017 8:16 pm

hey mate ended up with a used 6.5x47l

Return to “Equipment & Technical”