priming tool

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Brad Y

Re: priming tool

#31 Postby Brad Y » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:49 pm

Than doesn't half sound like shooting politics at all John

bsouthernau

#32 Postby bsouthernau » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:16 am

Remington primers are packed on their sides too.

bobeager

#33 Postby bobeager » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:27 am

Gee Whiz, I only bought a couple of new tools as a "birthday present" for myself. The RCBS I had was a very good tool, but over time I lost the small rifle primer "bits" which I now need.

Seriously, I have 2 vintage Lee autoprime tools with small rifle "bits" only, and if anyone wants to purchase these for spare parts send me a PM.

More than pleased with the K&M at $80, which compare well to the price of an RCBS (as shown on Q Store website but out of stock)

RAVEN

#34 Postby RAVEN » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:26 pm

Lewis you have a PM waiting for you

bartman007

#35 Postby bartman007 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:01 am

I have heard it's an issue of the priming mixture being used, the consequence of which being that the Feds are required to be separated in that manner. Lee once claimed that shooters not use Federals & one other manufacture (could have been Winchester) should not be used in their tray type priming tools (the obsolete ones that were lauded earlier) to avoid multiple ignitions. On the other hand, there are claims that Lee & somebody associated with Federal didn't get on, hence the admonition, so take your pick.

Yep, must have been a hidden agenda :|

I have been using LR Federal's in my old Lee Autoprime for years! Never a problem.

And yes Alan, it puzzles me why Federal has to put their primers on their sides. Just makes it a little tricky when dropping into a round tray.

I doubt that a team of experts could ever come up with anything worse that the fold open square tray now in vogue. They don't work properly nor do they last long. Best avoided !!!

Good feedback Peter. Disappointing that some vendors seem to have a need to improve on something that is not broken.
###

Razer

#36 Postby Razer » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:19 pm

The square tray as in the new Lee hand primer is a total pain in the butt.
The action of having to eliminate two primers being loaded at once is designed to be idiot proof to safe guard the makers from libel.
I have both Lee hand primers and if anyone could force two primers in the one pocket and create an explosion then they are bloody magicians.
You can still get spares for the round tray as parts are mostly interchangeable.
I bought another handle(chrome bit you push with hand to seat primers) and it fits my old round tray Lee.
Broke one loading CCI 450s into Lapua Palma brass. New cases easy,second time the pocket appears to tighten up so takes some extra pressure to get them to seat.
Federal had an incident with their primers going off in the mail(US) many years ago so the packaging had to be changed/reconfigured way back then.
It is a pain as it is twice the size of others boxes of primers.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”