F-Open to F-STD

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

DenisA

F-Open to F-STD

#1 Postby DenisA » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:59 pm

I've been shooting F-Open since I began shooting something like 7 years ago. I'm still crap..... that's beside the point.

I've started toying with F-STD also this year and Holy Crap, its hard! Much harder than F-Open. I have a new found respect for good F-STD shooters. The guys that are always nipping at the heels of F-Open scores.... or beating them :shock:

Anyway, here's a few rules that need to be changed in STD. The trigger weight rule needs to be removed, 7mm 180gn bullets and bigger cartridges should be allowed and rifle weight should be pushed up to 10kg. :twisted:

Seriously though, the 1kg trigger is feral. I'd guess that most actions being used in STD or going from TR to STD are capable being made lighter. Does this rule suit the majority of STD shooters or a very small minority.. I think this rule is about as helpful as range templates from 100 years ago.

What's the point of a 1 kg trigger in F-STD these days?

Do current F-STD shooters like the 1kg trigger rule?

Again, well done F-STD shooters. You guys are awesome.

GrahamW

Re: F-Open to F-STD

#2 Postby GrahamW » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:57 pm

I agree with you about the 1kg trigger Denis.
It's about the only thing in FS I would really like changed (other than the wet weather cover rules ;-) )

I'm not sure why it's there, probably to have as little difference as possible between TR and FS rifles when it was first introduced.
I can't see it being for safety reasons.

I wouldn't want to see the calibres or projectile weights changed, that's what I like about standard, it keeps the costs down and makes it a little more challenging.

8-)

DannyS

#3 Postby DannyS » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:12 pm

Hi guys , I don't see an issue with the current F Standard trigger weight, just a matter of what you get used to.

Cheers
Danny S
You might as well be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

Malcolm Hill

#4 Postby Malcolm Hill » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:33 pm

If you keep taking away the restrictions like trigger weight for F standard then everyone will end up shooting Open because the rules will end up the same. In my opinion the rules are too easy to manipulate now with Standard and Open gear so similar that the average person would be hard pressed to pick who is shooting what without dismantling ammo to check. It is a far cry from what it was intended to be when it started and it is all because of people whinging and wanting rules changed to suit themselves. Regards Malcolm.

Ben C

#5 Postby Ben C » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:39 pm

I completely agree Denis, the 1kg trigger weight is unnecessary and I would support it being "Safe Trigger".

jcinsa

#6 Postby jcinsa » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:42 pm

If you like shooting with a trigger weight less than 1kg, there are two disciplines that can accomodate you.

F/TR and F Open

Regards

John
Argue with a fool, and all the casual observer will see is two fools arguing.

Bart

#7 Postby Bart » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:42 pm

Yes, the 1kg trigger weight adds to the challenge and that is good.

I would say if you want the trigger and projies, just go to F-TR; it is F-Std after all

DenisA

#8 Postby DenisA » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:46 pm

John I do like shooting with a light trigger and I am an F-Open shooter.

I also enjoy F-STD, I enjoy the level playing field and inferior ballistics to F-Open. I personally don't believe that the challenge would be any less if the F-STD field went to a lighter trigger. It's a primitive rule introduced at it's inception to accommodate the change over from TR. It's a rule that doesn't make as much sense in 2017 as it did 20 years ago.

In the 6 years that I've been on this forum, I've NEVER seen a rule changed from a forum thread no matter how hotly debated. Aside from F-class being able to remain part of the Queens series, great outcome there.

I'm only asking for people's opinions on the topic, not a submission to the NRAA.

Nude nut

#9 Postby Nude nut » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:41 pm

I say leave it alone I do not have any issues with the F std trigger weight If I chose to swap out a barrel and have a crack at open I would leave my trigger alone.
I have seen Fstd shooters beat f open scores many a time or very close so If we had lighter triggers Dennis what hope would the open shooter have then.
I say learn to read the wind and it wont matter .

Tim N

#10 Postby Tim N » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:34 am

You can always lighten the trigger in your F Std gun and just shoot it in open.
I'm planning an FTR gun for next year, any reason you didn't go this way? Or do you prefer shooting off a machine front rest?
We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training. Archilochos 680-645 BC

browniedog

#11 Postby browniedog » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:48 am

try shooting with the old 1.5 kg trigger

scott/r

#12 Postby scott/r » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:52 am

Denis, you can shoot the 7mm projetile if you want, but i don't think it'll go real well in the 30 cal barrel.haha
I was just about say the same as Dave. And if nothing else, if you get your trigger control working well in standard, imagine how good it'll be in open. It'll be good practice for you you.
Scott

Longranger

#13 Postby Longranger » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:57 pm

Use a two stage trigger with say a 600gm initial first stage and a 400gm second stage (1kg in aggregate). Preload to the take up of the the first stage then you are left with the remaining 400gm pull. This technique works surprisingly well.

plumbs7

#14 Postby plumbs7 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:57 pm

Hi Denis, I'm so looking forward to your debut into f std! The thing with 180 gr pills at warp speed is it makes me a lazy wind reader ! I went back to std at club and any little breath or variation was felt ! It reminded me ago how hard Standard is ! The 1 kg trigger is like doing a work out with your finger!
Coming from open I can see your point! All that you have said is a good point !

But I think dealing with a 1 kg trigger will make you a better shooter ( you are pretty good already !)
Even now on open gun I still run .4 kg on my trigger and that trigger control learnt in std has helped me to be able to machine gun them down when the conditions are rough!

So what doesn't break ya ,make you stronger!

Ps also thanks for starting a decent thread. We can get back to engaging in the good topics again !
Pss. I would love to screw in my .308 barrel again soon ! I do miss it ! It is such a great class , especially to start out on !

Quick

#15 Postby Quick » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:32 pm

I've been shooting FS a bit this year and have also been running my heavy trigger in my 7mm08AI as well as it saves me changing triggers when I swap barrels. After a bit of stuffing around with grip and technique, I can shoot as good as vertical with my heavy trigger as my 2oz Jewell.

I guess my point is that I think its fine the way it is but I personally wouldn't be against a change either.
Shaun aka 'Quick'
Yanchep, Western Australia

308 Win F/TR & F-S
7mm F-Open Shooter.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”