New rail: which thread locker should I use?

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

SunnyCoast 5r

New rail: which thread locker should I use?

#1 Postby SunnyCoast 5r » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:09 am

Putting a 20 MOA base on my action: which thread locker (if any) should I use?
Thanks

Steve N

Re: New rail: which thread locker should I use?

#2 Postby Steve N » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:40 am

I only use a drop of light oil on the screw threads and nip them up but stick the base to the action with high strength Araldite (not in the screw holes). I don't like them coming loose unless I want to remove them.

Gyro

#3 Postby Gyro » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:05 am

Epoxy lads !!!!!! Guys use loctite even under a scope base. Wrong ! I say just use one of the HARD two pot epoxy resins (there are many brands) under the base and on the screw threads. Make sure the screw heads are free of any resin to allow the removal tool to be used when the time comes to remove the screws. With the epoxy resins, as with loctite, just play some heat over the glued parts to soften the resin when you want to take it apart.

SunnyCoast 5r

#4 Postby SunnyCoast 5r » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:21 am

Ok I have learnt something new. Thanks

6.5x55ai

#5 Postby 6.5x55ai » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:51 pm

In the past under the base I have used Epiglass 2 part compound and Ciba Geigy Araldite. Nowadays I use Loctite 660 Compound under the base. I usually fit the base, run some masking tape around the edges - makes it easier to clean up anything oozing out. I then refit the base with Loctite 660 under it and nip the screws at around 1/3 of the final torque. Take care to leave some clearance around the screw holes in the base, don't want 660 going into the action holes when the base is pressed onto the action. 660 has a cure time of 30 minute with full strength after 2 hours. Once cured I remove the base screws one at a time and apply Loctite 243 medium strength. Torque the screws down to the final setting. DO NOT use any of the high strength Loctites. They just create a monster as they require high heat to release (resist normal heat and solvents). Well, that's how I do it. I guess as already posted there are several ways to skin a cat mostly variations of the bog used. I beleive it is important to "bed" the rail. The Barnard rails for example are machined to make contact on the outside edges with a gap under the middle. You can never close the gap by screw tightening only, even if that was the intention. I like to see that gap filled - peace of mind. Same goes for sporting rifles. Make a bird of fitting the bases and then no disappointments will pop up mid hunt. Saw it happen to a guy on a 1 week hunt in the SI of NZ.

pjifl

#6 Postby pjifl » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:19 pm

I agree that Epoxy is often better than Loctite in many cases.
Temporarily Leave an Allen or Torx Key in place during application and assembly to ensure none gets in the head socket especially with really minute grub screws etc. although scope mount screws are usually larger.

Think of the poor so and so who has to remove them one day without any damage.

I find that moderately heated Epoxy seems to act as a lubricant when unscrewing while heated Loctite forms a dry powder which tends to bind more.

Peter Smith.

Gyro

#7 Postby Gyro » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:49 pm

I reckon lads when u have control over the clearances between the parts being joined then loctite can be fine. Beyond that ya get into the area of "gap filling" and for that loctite is likely not the resin to be using. The data sheet of course says some of the loctites can fill small gaps but why even go there when epoxy ( thickened if necessary ) was made for that purpose ?

John23

#8 Postby John23 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:02 am

I used to use lovktite 243 blue but now use standard nail polish on the threads .
I have found it to be the perfect small screw thread locker .
Never had one come loose .

As for glueing on bases ... yeah been there and done that to ensure a perfect fit .
I Don't bother anymore with quality bases .

Gyro

#9 Postby Gyro » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:34 am

True John. It's often just a peace of mind thing at the end of the day.

SunnyCoast 5r

#10 Postby SunnyCoast 5r » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:33 pm

Ahhh John23...what colour?

Return to “Equipment & Technical”