Hexagonal Boron Nitride

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Snow

Hexagonal Boron Nitride

#1 Postby Snow » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:51 am

Hi all.
First post and I was hoping someone could tell me if there is anywhere in Oz you can purchase Hexagonal Boron Nitride?
I am specifically looking for hBN, 99% Pure, APS: 70 nm.
Also, has anyone tried coating Hornady ELD-M's with it?
I am worried about what effect cleaning the projectiles in acetone might have on the polymer tip.
Cheers
Snow

johnk

Re: Hexagonal Boron Nitride

#2 Postby johnk » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:27 pm

Snow wrote:I am worried about what effect cleaning the projectiles in acetone might have on the polymer tip.

Never used acetone - just one of those smash shop degreasers - PrepClean or whatever name it goes under at Super Cheap or the like. It didn't mess the tip.

williada

#3 Postby williada » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:31 pm

Snow, the trick with hBn is not to use too much. Bought mine from Canada, so I don't know where you get it here. I use it with ELD's and they have kicked ass at 1000 yards. Haven't worried about over cleaning them either having anointed the bore after cleaning with a solution of hBn and Isopropyl acohol. Again only a couple of swipes with a patch which I have sprayed with the solution of hBn and Isopropyl. You can use straight isopropyl alcohol to clean projectiles. It is a widely used cleaning fluid, leaves virtually no oil traces is relatively non toxic and the missus uses it to clean instruments and benches in the medical laboratory. You can buy it at Bunnings. The picture below shows you what to look for. The wife tells me acetone is not to good for you, so I looked up the MSDS for both acetone and isopropyl alcohol. The links are:

http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9927062
http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9924412

Isopropyl.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by williada on Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

6.5x55ai

#4 Postby 6.5x55ai » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:01 pm

Actually bought some Isopropyl acohol the other day from Jaycar (closer to me than Bunnings). Reason for the purchase was to make a solution of WS2 for the same reason as above.

I have one 6.5AI that has always been fed a diet of moly.

I trialled HBN and didn't like the groups I got. To be honest I should have persevered a bit longer but I ended up throwing the projectiles in the tumbler. Part of the issue also was the clear finish of HBN threw me. No black hands of anything else I touched!

Currently trialling 147 gr ELD-Ms using WS2 and getting very satisfactory results.

Gyro

#5 Postby Gyro » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:06 pm

Acetone will be fine mate. I think them tips are acetal.

johnk

#6 Postby johnk » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:10 pm

When I shot FS back in 2009, HBN was a dream come true. Good velocities, sweet cleaning process, excellent accuracy. However, I could not get it to work in my Match rifle with 208 Hornadies & 210 Bergers & SMKs. the velocity spreads sucked & there was bugger all difference velocitywise between coated & naked pills.

I gave up & went back to moly.

pjifl

#7 Postby pjifl » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:11 pm

Pool shops often keep a range of chemicals including Iso Propyl Alcohol in large quantities which is fairly pure. A good general cleaning solvent including lenses and fairly innocuous stuff.

BTW, I will persist in writing it my way despite the IUPAC straight jacketed terminology.

johnk

#8 Postby johnk » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:45 pm

pjifl wrote:BTW, I will persist in writing it my way despite the IUPAC straight jacketed terminology.

Bravo!

act.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Longranger

#9 Postby Longranger » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:15 pm

A bit like botanical names. Leichardt tree formerly Nauclea Orientalis now Sarcophyllus Coordinatus.

To quote Les Hiddons "A great step forward for mankind".

Snow

#10 Postby Snow » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:08 am

Cheers all for the info.
Got a kit coming from another member on this forum.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”