Hello

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Landr2014

Hello

#1 Postby Landr2014 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:19 am

Hi Everyone

My name is Richie and currently reside in the U.K. We are due to arrive in Sydney at the end of June beginning of July after having gone through the long process of getting our visa, I'm a sparky by trade.

I come from a varied shooting back ground having started shooting at an early age and following it on into the army and now in civilian life.

My main interest here is clays and foxing I own various guns but these won't be coming with me due to the difficulties so I shall be starting again, shotgun wise I'm a beretta guy so that's what I'll stick with however............

I'm very interested in getting into long range shooting with the goal of 1000yd stuff. Used to do 300-600 in the army. This is where the problem starts, what rifle do I go for? Do I go for an out the box set up such as the Savage 6.5creedmore LRP and use that on all distances up to 1000yds or do I start with something different such as a Remington 700 (open to advice here on model and calibre) with a view to upgrading over time.

Thank you in advance

Richie

AlanF

Re: Hello

#2 Postby AlanF » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:09 am

Richie,

Welcome to the forum. Presumably you're interested in F-Class if you're on this website. Most F-Class shooting is done at shorter ranges than 1000 yards. You see more longer ranges at major competitions. Some new shooters start with factory rifles, with Savage and Remington being among those. But there is no need to decide on your gear before turning up at a range, in fact its better not to. Most clubs have club rifles or members who will loan rifles to people for their first few shoots. At our club you can have a shoot (under supervision) even before you have a firearms licence and are not required to join the club until after several visits. That is the ideal time to decide what gear to buy. There are many dos and don'ts for buying a suitable F-Class rifle, and the average gun dealer is not aware of them. Better to discuss it with experienced F-Class shooters.

Let us know what part of Australia you'll be living and someone in a club nearby will hopefully invite you to their range.

Tim N

#3 Postby Tim N » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:15 am

Hi Richie,
Best thing might be to attend one of the clubs in the Sydney area and see what's being used and which class appeals.
Read through some of the old threads here as it has been covered a few times.
If you move to the Newcastle/Hunter Valley area there's a few of us at the Cessnock club who would be happy to help out.
Welcome to OZ

Tim
We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training. Archilochos 680-645 BC

GSells

#4 Postby GSells » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:15 pm

Tim N wrote:Hi Richie,
Best thing might be to attend one of the clubs in the Sydney area and see what's being used and which class appeals.
Read through some of the old threads here as it has been covered a few times.
If you move to the Newcastle/Hunter Valley area there's a few of us at the Cessnock club who would be happy to help out.
Welcome to OZ

Tim

I doubt you would be moving to the Darling Downs area ?? But if you do Dalby / Tara or Darling Downs or Crows Nest Goombungee Rc ‘s would be glad to help !!
Regards Graham.

Landr2014

#5 Postby Landr2014 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:34 pm

Hi guys

Thanks for the replies, yes F Class is what I'm interested in. location wise we have some friends that live just north of Sydney at a place called Dee Why so that's probably sort of area we will look at moving to. So I'll research the clubs around there then with a view to visiting them on arrival.

Rifle wise then I'll have a look at and hopefully try a couple once we arrive and then get my license applied for, it doesn't seem a to bad a job to apply for one so hoping it won't take to long........

Richie

Bigtravoz

#6 Postby Bigtravoz » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:47 pm

Allow three to six months by the time you organise to do the safety course, find a club , join a club, organise all the necessary paperwork etc. usually for a resident of Australia once you have all the paperwork done and lodged an application it’s a minimum 28 days for the authorities to process the paperwork (6-8 weeks currently in victoria) usually however the process is relatively painless, you will however have to join a club or have property letters and permits to hunt to have a reason for your application prior to applying for a license.

Good luck and hope you enjoy Australia and find a good club to join.
Travis

Return to “Equipment & Technical”