Reloading Equipment

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Lithgow

Reloading Equipment

#1 Postby Lithgow » Sun May 20, 2018 6:06 pm

G'day,

I am about to buy hand loading equipment and would like opinions regarding single stage and multi stage presses and brands.

I have looked at Simplex Master press, RCBS single stage and Dillon multi stage.

Also what is the preferred Die brand for consistancy and reliability.

I will be loading 223 and 6.5 CM.

Cheers
Steve
Steve G
Nowra Rifle Club NSW

Tim N

Re: Reloading Equipment

#2 Postby Tim N » Sun May 20, 2018 6:27 pm

Hey Steve,
I started with an rcbs partner kit which still sees use for bullet pointing and hunting loads.
My main press is an rcbs rock chucker with whidden bushing fls dies for sizing and Wilson in line seating dies with the micrometer tops for seating projies in a K&M press
We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training. Archilochos 680-645 BC

RDavies

#3 Postby RDavies » Sun May 20, 2018 6:48 pm

Tim N wrote:Hey Steve,
I started with an rcbs partner kit which still sees use for bullet pointing and hunting loads.
My main press is an rcbs rock chucker with whidden bushing fls dies for sizing and Wilson in line seating dies with the micrometer tops for seating projies in a K&M press

What Tim said.
RCBS Rock Chucker press is onenof the more popular presses and reasonable price.
Whidden bushing FLS dies are as good as you can get, but Redding FLS bushing dies are next best if you are on more of a budget.
Like Tim, I much, much prefer to use Wilson in line seating dies for seating bullets.
The non micrometer Wilson seaters are good if you are on more of a budget.

SunnyCoast 5r

#4 Postby SunnyCoast 5r » Sun May 20, 2018 7:14 pm

Try chrisw91 (CCW Engineering) on this site...he makes a press that looks pretty good. I have been very happy with the cleaning rods he produces. Support a fellow shooter and Aussie made.
I just use Lee dies: neck sizing & collet die produce good results; projectile seating is a bit fiddle to setup but once you have it to the desired depth it’s ok. Cheap option too.

!Peter!

#5 Postby !Peter! » Sun May 20, 2018 11:35 pm

I use a Lee classic cast press. The main feature that sold me on it is how it handles spent primers. The spent primers drop through the hollow ram into a tube. I plugged the slot for the priming arm which I don't use, and the spent primers and any residue are completely contained.

For dies I use Redding type s FL or Wilson bushing FL depending on who's is cheapest, lee collet and Wilson seater.

Gyro

#6 Postby Gyro » Mon May 21, 2018 4:32 am

The non micrometer Wilson bullet seating die is all I use and can accurately keep up with the seating depth changes just by measuring with the vernier the total die head length i.e. the top section with the protruding adjustable stalk.

Remember to run a note book that allows you to write down any die settings you made. Plus you can comment in the book on all kinds of stuff as you go along with your load development, like say the days ambient temp as u test etc. Lots of stuff is valuble to keep up with. Makes it a lot easier to get a handle on what's happening than relying on memory !

UL1700

#7 Postby UL1700 » Mon May 21, 2018 9:20 am

I use a RCBS summit as the ease of access is fantastic. I mainly use Forster or Redding competition dies with this press although I use the Hornady cam lock bullet puller as any bullet pullers that have a T bar handle are a pain to use with it. Increasingly I am doing everything with Wilson Dies but I still de prime on the RCBS and bullet pull when necessary. If I was buying now I would seriously look at the CCW...

Edit to say Redding dies not RCBS :oops:
Last edited by UL1700 on Tue May 22, 2018 1:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Barossa_222

#8 Postby Barossa_222 » Mon May 21, 2018 12:23 pm

I use a RCBS Rockchucker press. Bought it when I first started reloading and have not looked back. As for dies, currently very happy with Forster seating dies and Redding FL bushing. I have Whiddon and Wilson also. The Forster seaters I find are really easy to set up on the coarse adjustment and very accurate and repeatable. Tried Redding competitions when I started shooting F class and was not a fan.

Bigtravoz

#9 Postby Bigtravoz » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:41 pm

http://www.midway-australia.com.au/lee- ... press-kit/

Inexpensive, accurate, can be used anywhere (including on the couch or on the road or at the range) and I doubt you’ll ever buy a more expensive setup once you have this! Add a scale, powder, primers, set of dies for your caliber and you will have hours of fun!

lonerider43

#10 Postby lonerider43 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:08 pm

Bigtravoz wrote:http://www.midway-australia.com.au/lee-breech-lock-hand-press-kit/

Inexpensive, accurate, can be used anywhere (including on the couch or on the road or at the range) and I doubt you’ll ever buy a more expensive setup once you have this! Add a scale, powder, primers, set of dies for your caliber and you will have hours of fun!

so whats the go ? do ya just hang on to it ?? i dont see any way of securing it to a bench .... :?
Australian's Against "Gun-A-Phobia"

Bigtravoz

#11 Postby Bigtravoz » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:18 pm

lonerider43 wrote:
Bigtravoz wrote:http://www.midway-australia.com.au/lee-breech-lock-hand-press-kit/

so whats the go ? do ya just hang on to it ?? i dont see any way of securing it to a bench .... :?

Ain’t no bench on my couch where I do most of my reloading in comfort while others sit in their cold shed!

Yes you hang on to it. It does everything a bench mounted press does...maybe more.

lonerider43

#12 Postby lonerider43 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:54 pm

sounds like a mongrel when seating pills,more error for spillage...
maybe youve got it worked out,but understandably i wouldnt have one.
id think a bottle capper press would be more usable in that aspect.
Australian's Against "Gun-A-Phobia"

Bigtravoz

#13 Postby Bigtravoz » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:58 pm

lonerider43 wrote:sounds like a mongrel when seating pills,more error for spillage...
maybe youve got it worked out,but understandably i wouldnt have one.
id think a bottle capper press would be more usable in that aspect.

Never spilled a granule of powder with it and have no problem even with flat based bullets.

Bigtravoz

#14 Postby Bigtravoz » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:00 pm

Has excellent feel when seating primers and plenty strong enough to resize even the largest cases.

Bigtravoz

#15 Postby Bigtravoz » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:08 pm

To be honest lonerider I have an RCBS bench mount press that I bought after one of these, it never gets used. I bought the rock crusher thinking it would be faster and maybe easier but it is no better and means sitting out in the shed.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”