What calibre?

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

scott/r

What calibre?

#1 Postby scott/r » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:03 am

Hey guys, I'm looking at setting up a f class rifle for the Mrs to use. I'm thinking along the lines of a 6br. Accurate and with bugger all recoil.
Now, I was just looking at dies and the option of a 6mm ppc appeared. What is the difference between them and do they use the same cases? I remember reading somewhere a while ago the one of 6br variations uses a different parent case. I think . Or am I just thinking wrong?
Anyway, what would be the better way to go with this keeping in mind it will very rarely go past 600yrds.
Scott.

williada

Re: What calibre?

#2 Postby williada » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:10 am

Scott stick with the 6 Br.

Chris S

#3 Postby Chris S » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:16 am

Hi Scott,

First up, forget about the 6PCC, different case, requires fire forming, odd bolt face diameter,
most chambers need neck turned cases. Number one case for short range 100/200 Benchrest
but F Class is way different to Benchrest.
Go with a straight 6mm BR or sometimes called 6mm BR Norma.
Lapua or Norma brass available off the self with little to no prep needed, uses common locally
made ADI powders like 2206H/2208 etc., tons of great 6mm projectiles like locally made Copperheads or US made Berger/ Sierra/Laupa/Hornady to name a few.
Very easy to tune and inherently accurate and as you mention, if you are rarely shooting
farther than 600 yds./metres, more than adequate.
check out....
http://www.accurateshooter.com/cartridge-guides/6mmbr/

cheers,
Chris ( 6BR tragic ) :D
You can never carry too much ammo...
unless you are drowning or on fire.

pjifl

#4 Postby pjifl » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:59 am

6PPC is a a dedicated short range rifle. Agree with comments above on it. Usually they are built up with slow twist barrels for very light projectiles which are useless for long range.

6BR maybe but again it is not really a competitive long range rifle. Pleasant to shoot and very accurate.

BUT I question why not something more serious like a 6.5mm of some sort or even more powerful. The 6.5 Creedmore is the flavor of the month and probably a good choice. It is not a big recoiler and definitely more capable than a 6BR.

Do not forget that once you break away from 308 or 223, you are allowed a 10 Kg rifle and recoil becomes almost trivial.

Can I suggest you arrange for the Missus to try firing some larger cartridges in a full 10 Kg weight rifle before making a choice.

All the women I know who shoot can easily handle a more powerful cartridge as long as it is fired in a 10 Kg Rifle.

Peter Smith.

bruce moulds

#5 Postby bruce moulds » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:09 pm

CREEDMOOR is the correct spelling.
named after tha creedmoor range and competitions held there starting 1874 between the irish and anericans.
so called as the land was originally owned by farmer creed, and being a bit swampy was referred to locally as a moor.
the original matches were 800, 900, and 1000 yards.
the hornady cartridge was also intended for these palma ranges for sling shooters.
incidentally an excellent cartridge ,
keep safe,
bruce.
"SUCH IS LIFE" Edward Kelly 11 nov 1880
http://youtu.be/YRaRCCZjdTM

ben_g

#6 Postby ben_g » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:31 pm

Are you averse to fireforming?

If not Dasher comes to mind immediately.

I had a 6.5x47L (2 barrels) and shot the 130’s out of it, recoil is mild and when it’s humming it’s humming.
However I found it frustrating and finicky week to week to the point I have ditched all my 6.5x47gear in favour of the Dasher.

I have only just started down the Dasher path, reason I chose it are it’s reputation of sheer accuracy, components are easy to find and cheaper than 6.5mm stuff and a 105gr Hybrid at 3050fps doesn’t give up anything to the 6.5mm with 130’s at 2950fps in terms of external ballistics (yes the 140’s are better)
I have what looks like a decent load happening with the minimal load development I have done (got a 90.10 on Saturday while devleoping loads) hopefully it proves easy to load for like my 284 is and I can keep it accurate.

Edit: just read the last part of the question where you said it won’t go past 600yards often. Straight BR is the obvious choice.

scott/r

#7 Postby scott/r » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:14 pm

Cool, thanks for your comments. 6br it will be then. pjifl, the rifle won't be anywhere near weight so natural recoil will be bit of an issue.
Scott.

argh

#8 Postby argh » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:45 pm

Dont discout the 6br Ackley improved. We have one on our range. Less hassle with fire forming than the dasher and an improvement on the br case for capacity
Good luck for the wife......, but we all know that you want to ditch those iron sights and come over to the enlightened side :) this rifle is for you isnt it!
Cheers
Adrian

bruce moulds

#9 Postby bruce moulds » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:45 pm

there seems to be a 6mm creedmoor now.
this might be a good one to just load and shoot.
multi choice good brass available now too.
if you have to neck down 6.5 creedmoor cases, this is a non event.
keep safe,
bruce.
"SUCH IS LIFE" Edward Kelly 11 nov 1880

http://youtu.be/YRaRCCZjdTM

GSells

#10 Postby GSells » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:12 pm

argh wrote:Dont discout the 6br Ackley improved. We have one on our range. Less hassle with fire forming than the dasher and an improvement on the br case for capacity
Good luck for the wife......, but we all know that you want to ditch those iron sights and come over to the enlightened side :) this rifle is for you isnt it!
Cheers
Adrian

He did ditch them once , I remember competing against him in fs b Grade , a while ago now .
Then some would say that Scott saw the light ! And has never looked back lol!

John23

#11 Postby John23 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:23 pm

If 6.5 creedmoor is the flavour of the month 6 BR is bread and butter .

I have never looked back from my 6br , it’s simply a beautiful easy cartridge.
I am about to equire another 6.5x47 Lap , also a good cartridge but dose not make me feel warm and fuzzy .

Comparing apples to oranges have a look at what us fly shooters are using .
So many options but you will find the line up is simple old 6br .

They simply work for the shorts to mids .

If you want a little more bang look at the 6brx
Same 6br die sets just the shoulder moved forward.
Last edited by John23 on Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

!Peter!

#12 Postby !Peter! » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:19 am

John23 wrote:If you want a little more bang look at the 6bra

Do you mean 6BRX rather than 6BRA?

scott/r

#13 Postby scott/r » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:07 am

GSells wrote:
argh wrote:Dont discout the 6br Ackley improved. We have one on our range. Less hassle with fire forming than the dasher and an improvement on the br case for capacity
Cheers
Adrian

He did ditch them once , I remember competing against him in fs b Grade , a while ago now .
Then some would say that Scott saw the light ! And has never looked back lol!

Haha, you guys are funny. Actually, I started in f class and went to t/r, but shooting with a scope to much gives me headaches. The joys of busting your neck when you where a kid.
Scott.

John23

#14 Postby John23 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:21 am

!Peter! wrote:
John23 wrote:If you want a little more bang look at the 6bra

Do you mean 6BRX rather than 6BRA?

Yes and now edited

Thanks

Return to “Equipment & Technical”