Tasmanian Queens and Match Rifle 2022

Results, photos of recent events, plan future events, let people know where you'll be competing.

Moderator: Mod

TassieNews

Tasmanian Queens and Match Rifle 2022

#1 Postby TassieNews » Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:33 am

The TRA will be holding its QPM and Match Rifle Championships in March 2022 at Campbell Town.
The attached image gives an outline of the program.
Further details will be advised closer to the date.

flyer ozfclass.jpg

Pete Fox
Secretary
trasecretary@protonmail.com
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TassieNews

Re: Tasmanian Queens and Match Rifle 2022

#2 Postby TassieNews » Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:18 am

G'day all,
I am just updating this post with a 'save the date' flyer for out MR championships and QPM meeting in March 2022.

Nine days of shooting held over 11 days from 500 to 1500 yards.
Heaven!
Pete

QPM 2022 Save the date flyer.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TassieNews

#3 Postby TassieNews » Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:10 pm

G'day all,
I m getting a few enquiries about:
- Getting to Tassie
- How can I get my firearms here?
- Can I camp on the range

If you are flying in, the nearest airport is Launceston (LST). It is about a 30-40 minute drive from Campbell Town. There are flights daily from all east coast capitals - Jetstar and Virgin. for firearms information contact your carrier.

For the ferry:

Bookings at: https://www.spiritoftasmania.com.au

The best piece of advice I can give is: BOOK EARLY - the cost of the ferry 3 weeks out will be twice the cost of tickets 3 months out. As it fills, the cost increases reflecting the remaining availability of spaces. If booking a motorhome or camper book before Christmas

The Spirit has a 100% refund policy for cancellations due to COVID restrictions. I have personally been refunded twice now - totally hassle free.
For other reasons, refunds are available - read the fine print - it's time sensitive - the closer to the date the less you get back.

With regards to firearms carriage.
You will need to complete a declaration form, available here > https://www.spiritoftasmania.com.au/med ... t-2018.pdf

The process is: your declaration will be recorded against your booking. When you arrive at the terminal, you will be directed into a side lane to the firearms trailer. You will need your licence, firearm(s) in locked case/bag, the key to the bag (they'll check for bolts out and no ammo inside), your ammo in a locked case/bag.
You will place your gear in the trailer (no one else will touch or load your gear) and be given a ticket stub(s) that correspond to the one stuck on your bag. Lose the stub and you won't get your gear back easily. Leave the stub in the car, don't take it on board.
Best to bring a photocopy of the registration document for each firearm.

Ammunition
The TRA has purchased a large quantity of Sierra/ADI 155gn factory ammo. You will be able to reserve yours when I publish the entry form. We will buy back any unused rounds in good condition.

There is a Ferry limit on how much ammunition you can bring - at present it's 10kg or 250 rounds whichever is met first.
A box of 20 x 155gn .308W rounds weighs approx 525g.- that's 380 rounds, per 10kg.

Having said all that, I have never seen a set of scales or had anyone ask how much ammo I was carrying. I think it's really all about doing it commercially.

Your ammo MUST BE IN ORIGINAL MANUFACTURERS PACKAGING. Start collecting. Read the fine print about modified ammunition (reloads). Don't bring scruffy ammo that looks like it has been reloaded.

If you are shooting MR you will need 110 rounds
If your are shooting 1500 yds - 60 rounds
Priory Ridge Wines Series - 72
TRA 1000 yards championship - 17
QPM 120
Plus extra rounds for MR practice day, shoot offs, optional sighters, shots under protest and ammo testing etc.
This adds up to 379 rounds
So allow 400 rounds to be safe.

If you get a letter from the TRA you can get an exemption to all of this. Read the attachment
exemption-carriage-of-firearms-and-ammunition-conditions-declaration-for....pdf

and then email me to get a letter. giving your address, club, Association, SID

This form allows you to bring ammo (qty unspecified), projectiles, cases and primers (in original packaging)
NO NOT ATTEMPT TO BRING POWDER - This will carry a BIG penalty if you get caught. I'm talking 5 figures!

Need to reload? - talk to me, I'm here to help.

Camping
There is a large paddock at the rear of the clubhouse, not a campground - a paddock that is relatively flat. The clubhouse has ladies and gents hot showers. We have town water to fill your camper water tank. No power, but we're at the edge of the world here, so anything is possible - just ask. Nominal cost to be determined.

Camping/staying in the old CTRC clubhouse is also available. It is near the 600 yd mound. It has power, toilets and cooking facilities. Bring your own swag.
The old clubhouse will be physically checked to make sure it is empty prior to the start of shooting each day and then locked. Access won't be possible until a cease fire is called for the day. Nominal cost to be determined.

If I haven't covered it, please ask.

Pete
TRA Secretary
trasecretary at protonmail dot com

TassieNews

#4 Postby TassieNews » Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:22 pm

I have re-read the Spirit of Tasmania ammunition exemption and I have got it slightly wrong.
The exemption can get you an unspecified number of rounds however the 10kg limit still applies.
If you have someone else travelling with you who is a licensed shooter they also get the 10kg allowance. It is per person, not per vehicle.
Pete

PeteFox

#5 Postby PeteFox » Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:41 am

In response to the many enquiries I have had about marking for the TRA Match Rifle and Queens Prize Meeting 2022, I can confirm the following:

Match Rifle : paid markers
Queens and lead up: electronic marking.

I hope to have the entry forms out within a week along with further details

Pete Fox
TRA Secretary
trasecretary@protonmail.com

RDavies

#6 Postby RDavies » Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:02 pm

Will the match rifle all be 15 shots or will there be some 20s in there?
How many targets at 1500yds?
Trying to work out round count.

PeteFox

#7 Postby PeteFox » Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:05 pm

Rod
The info you need is in the third post in this thread
Pete

RDavies

#8 Postby RDavies » Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:47 pm

Gotcha, I see the total round counts now.
See you there.

TassieNews

#9 Postby TassieNews » Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:11 pm

Ladies and Gents
entries for the TRA Queens Prize Meeting are now live.

You can do this via the TRA website at: http://tasrifle.org.au/queens-prize-meeting-2022/
download the form and off you go, or use the online link.

OR

You can download the document below. It's all the same stuff, just presented a bit differently.

Pete

QPM entry form(web).pdf

PeteFox

#10 Postby PeteFox » Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:04 pm

Get your Ferry Booking - A Heads Up

A heads up about ferry bookings. Shortly after our Queens Prize Meeting there will be a major race meeting at the Symmons Plains Raceway. It's in northern Tasmania not far from the range. The Supercars will be back. Last year it was cancelled and the attendance is expected to be a record after a drought.

This will place a large extra demand on ferry spaces as the cars and equipment will begin to be shipped over well before the race starts in mid May. A lot of spectators will also arrive here well before the event. This is a major event and will generate lots of extra ferry demand.

I cannot stress enough to get your ferry booking done. If you are unsure, get it done anyway and pay the bit extra for cancellation insurance.

Pete Fox
TRA Secretary

TassieNews

#11 Postby TassieNews » Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:45 pm

Ladies and Gents, an update

I am fielding questions about the our Queens Prize meet, COVID, is it still on, and how will it be run.

First up let me say, the Tasmanian Queens is definitely on, and it will be run as a safe event by following the rules and using a big dose of common sense. Being a predominately outdoor event without big crowds, if rules change, we will be one of the last affected.

Even if we move to social distancing outside, we will be able to handle that.

If you are thinking of coming over please register your intentions by filling in an entry form, the links to the various entry methods are on the TRA website at
http://tasrifle.org.au/queens-prize-meeting-2022/ .
Electronic entry preferred.
Getting an idea of numbers will help us greatly in organising the event.

If for some reason, COVID or otherwise you are unable to attend, your money will be refunded in full.

Pete Fox
TRA secretary.

Tim N

#12 Postby Tim N » Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:21 pm

Hey
Just filling out the form to carry ammo on the boat and the ammo must be factory???
Bit hard when saum factory stuff isn't available.
Is there any official way around this?
Thanks
We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training. Archilochos 680-645 BC

PeteFox

#13 Postby PeteFox » Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:51 am

PM sent

TassieNews

#14 Postby TassieNews » Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:45 pm

Thinking about shooting FTR in the Tasmanian Queens Prize Meeting?

This is what awaits the winner of the F-TR Grand Aggregate

Valeri Stock.jpg

Ambidextrous, laminated, sanded, with a barrel channel cut in. Still in shrink wrap. Donated by RV Custom - Legend.

Pete

bainp

#15 Postby bainp » Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:02 pm

Tim N wrote:Hey
Just filling out the form to carry ammo on the boat and the ammo must be factory???
Bit hard when saum factory stuff isn't available.
Is there any official way around this?
Thanks

There is a way around this. Three of us Match Rifle shooters got together and had a dangerous goods freight expert fly our ammunition to Tasmania. Not cheap but everything was by the book and no worries about our declarations. I am on the ferry but the other two are flying so could not take enough ammunition on their flight as checked in luggage to complete the competition.
Cost of getting the ammo to Tasmania by this method though is not that expensive when compared to the overall cost of getting to Tassy and cost of accommodation.

Return to “Events”