Precision Rifle Series is here!!! And It Looks to be BIG

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

jasmay

Precision Rifle Series is here!!! And It Looks to be BIG

#1 Postby jasmay » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:02 am

Well, PRS has migrated, and knowing what's going on behind the scenes with sponsors this is going to be huge!! No dedicated web page yet, but it won't be far, info is Facebook based so far (link below)

I know one of the bigger sponsors approached both the NRAA & QRA to work with them to find a format that would be suited to our ranges but it didn't get support, it has now been picked up by the SSAA & IMO will capture the audience we should have been trying to capture in Fclass.

So, what does everyone think about it coming to Aus with the backing it's got?

I know I will be migrating over before long, I'd like to attend the inaugural event too, but time might be tight.

https://www.facebook.com/PrecisionRifleSeriesAUS/

SunnyCoast 5r

Re: Precision Rifle Series is here!!! And It Looks to be BIG

#2 Postby SunnyCoast 5r » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:11 am

Jasmay have you found out which classes they are running...a lot of stuff online is about using AR type platforms/tac rifles...I guess I am wondering if a FTR rig 'fits'?
Looks interesting as another form of shooting long distances. Makes me think back to IPSC: fun comps between traditional target shooting.
Thanks

bully_eye

#3 Postby bully_eye » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:13 am

Will be interesting to see some more info when it comes out. I would argue that this would probably capture a different market to the shooters who are interested in F Class but there is room for both surely?
From experience, the shooters who turn up to the precision service rifle matches being run in NSW, the ACT and VIC often aren't interested in F class (although many participate in both). However their interest in target shooting should be noted by the NRAA and state/territory associations and taken advantage of.
This new PRS will be a very different kettle of fish and should be successful. Assuming it will be shot on steel targets, this may however limit the ranges they can shoot on.

Cheers,
Michael

jasmay

#4 Postby jasmay » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:20 am

SunnyCoast 5r wrote:Jasmay have you found out which classes they are running...a lot of stuff online is about using AR type platforms/tac rifles...I guess I am wondering if a FTR rig 'fits'?
Looks interesting as another form of shooting long distances. Makes me think back to IPSC: fun comps between traditional target shooting.
Thanks

Unless your FTR rig is mag fed it wont fit in. No, obviously in Australia it there will not be a "gas gun" section so no AR style rigs, mag fed bolt actions are the flavour as there are stages that are times, and also positional shooting, not just prone, so single feed is out.

The 1st major comp has a prize pool of $30K with some amazing sponsors on board.

SunnyCoast 5r

#5 Postby SunnyCoast 5r » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:26 am

Good news for me is my FTR rig is mag fed 308 so which class would I be able to shoot in do you reckon jasmay? And do you think our fclass rifles might be disadvantaged with our longish barrels?
PS thanks for bringing this to my attention as I haven't seen anything from ssaa yet.

DenisA

#6 Postby DenisA » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:26 am

Might see some Warwick WFA1 straight pulls in action :D

jasmay

#7 Postby jasmay » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:47 am

SunnyCoast 5r wrote:Good news for me is my FTR rig is mag fed 308 so which class would I be able to shoot in do you reckon jasmay? And do you think our fclass rifles might be disadvantaged with our longish barrels?
PS thanks for bringing this to my attention as I haven't seen anything from ssaa yet.

I don't think we will see this on QLD ranges in the near future, some issues with templates but they are working on it.

Weight will be the biggest issue I believe, and obviously calibre choice, the most popular being .260 and 6.5 creedmore.

Information flow is a bit slow, I've been talking directly to a few who have been shooting the "unofficial" series the past 24months and this, as well as following the USA pages has helped my understanding of it.

Looking forward to seeing the development of it, I just wish it was under a different governing body that would have been more advantageous to us F-classers.

Jase PTRC

#8 Postby Jase PTRC » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:04 pm

A friend of mine who owns Impact Dynamics has been running an event in SA called the Precision Rifle Invitational Series and has gotten quite a good following. http://impactdynamics.com.au/2017-id-pr ... le-series/

Quick

#9 Postby Quick » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:16 pm

I for one will be keen to shoot it for sure. Its the sort of shooting I was doing before I started F-Class back in 2012. The NRAA needs to look to the future and get on board as it would've got a lot of members for them.
Shaun aka 'Quick'
Yanchep, Western Australia

308 Win F/TR & F-S
7mm F-Open Shooter.

flatlina

#10 Postby flatlina » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:10 pm

We have been shooting these in Darwin for the last two year, shot one of these Matches in Darwin last Sunday. Also have a night shoot coming up on the 15th May. our two day Shoot is in August and the lucky door prize is a $10000 AX. Have a look on facebook. NT Practical Rifle.

Regards
jb

jasmay

#11 Postby jasmay » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:17 pm

flatlina wrote:We have been shooting these in Darwin for the last two year, shot one of these Matches in Darwin last Sunday. Also have a night shoot coming up on the 15th May. our two day Shoot is in August and the lucky door prize is a $10000 AX. Have a look on facebook. NT Practical Rifle.

Regards
jb

That's the biggest thing I couldn't get my head around, the prizes are simply amazing. HUGE sponsorship, and probably a first to see prizes of that calibre (excuse the pun) in a shooting comp in Australia. it makes me wonder why F-Class struggles to garner such sponsorship, as they are obviously willing.

johnk

#12 Postby johnk » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:32 pm

jasmay wrote:It makes me wonder why F-Class struggles to garner such sponsorship.

Because F class doesn't use factory guns of a particular style, so there's no benefit to the commercial outlets. It's always been the story - the money goes to where wholesalers & retailers will benefit big time.

jasmay

#13 Postby jasmay » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:36 pm

johnk wrote:
jasmay wrote:It makes me wonder why F-Class struggles to garner such sponsorship.

Because F class doesn't use factory guns of a particular style, so there's no benefit to the commercial outlets. It's always been the story - the money goes to where wholesalers & retailers will benefit big time.

Optics, consumables, apparel.... There is more than just rifles John.

That said, Barnard, Kelbly etc, they wouldn't benefit?

Quick

#14 Postby Quick » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:05 pm

Kelbys sponsers shooters and matches in the US PRS. And the top shooters in the US run full custom rigs with Defiance, Keblys, Surgeon, GAP, Stiller, etc actions and the same barrels we all run. The difference is the stock style and the style of optics.
Shaun aka 'Quick'
Yanchep, Western Australia

308 Win F/TR & F-S
7mm F-Open Shooter.

ShaneG

#15 Postby ShaneG » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:23 pm

There are conservatively 80M firearms owners in the USA compared to 1M here.
Thus the sponsorship available over there.
However I suspect on the tail of the results from the Australian FO Team Gold in 2013 the current Australian F Class Teams to Canada are being supported by sponsorship we only dreamed about in 2013!
However in comparison the U.S. teams may be paying for primers?
Just about everything else fully sponsored.

Return to “General Forum”