What Precision or Tactical Rifle setup do you use

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

SunnyCoast 5r

Re: What Precision or Tactical Rifle setup do you use

#16 Postby SunnyCoast 5r » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:23 pm

Good info Kakadu. Had not considered holding still on high magnification (so used to shooting FClass where my comp NF rarely goes below 40x). Thanks.

What magnification do you use most of the time?

bully_eye

#17 Postby bully_eye » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:35 pm

SunnyCoast 5r wrote:Good info Kakadu. Had not considered holding still on high magnification (so used to shooting FClass where my comp NF rarely goes below 40x). Thanks.

What magnification do you use most of the time?

I shoot with my 5-40 power scope at about x16. Wide field of view trumps more precise aiming point. I took an F Class attitude into my first precision service rifle match and missed and entire stage as I had my power wound up so high I lost the targets...which moved from exposure to exposure. PRS comps like they hold in the States (and now Aus) have a lot of targets at different ranges. Precision service rifle as I’ve shot in has multiple ranges for the day but we would normally shoot 3-5 stages at each range before moving on to the next. The sum total of these differences is SFP scopes are generally not at as much as a disadvantage- if any- in precision service rifle as they would be in PRS.

Michael

Tim L

#18 Postby Tim L » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:47 pm

Going with a Tikka action, Trueflight 6.5 barrel in SLR , Terminator T3 brake and an Austec arms stock. Probably go with an Atlas bipod and still thinking on Scope. I have a Bushnell Elite for now, see how it goes.
Hoping the long neck of the SLR lives up to its reputation of extending barrel life.

Kakaduthunder

#19 Postby Kakaduthunder » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:18 pm

Depending on the stage I am normally at just under 20x, around 18x. If you have a lot of moving to do and a lot of targets to find sometimes lower.

The other thing that I didn’t mention is that the average 12 seconds per shot normally involves a change of position and maybe even some activity that will get your heart rate up. So the term ‘steady’ is rarely achieved when compared to shooting fclass.

Kakaduthunder

#20 Postby Kakaduthunder » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:24 pm

Tim you will not regret using a Tikka action. They are very accurate, smooth and feed perfectly from acis mags.

I started with a Bushnell XRS 4.5 -30 scope with a G2 recticle. It was what I could afford at the time and it was a fantastic scope. The adjustments were true and the glass pretty good. I sold it because I could afford better glass and I wanted an illuminated recticle. Bushnell now make some illuminated models and I wouldn’t over look them if you are on a tighter budget.

daj

#21 Postby daj » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:04 pm

Kakaduthunder,
Re Second plane scopes: I agree with you up to a point. However, I use a NF NXS 3.5-15x50 MLR and have never found it wanting in speed shooting. F-Class not so hot. I only use two settings, 15X for comps and ELR (dial to 1 mile) where the mils are true, and 3.5x for hunting up close. For me, it's perfect, except for thick scrub work where I prefer a red dot.
My Gear:
Calibre/Case: 260Imp30, Lapua
Action: Sako TRG-22
Trigger: TRG
Barrel: Maddco Heavy Palma, 23.125", 8 twist
Muzzle brake: Wittmachine
Stock: TRG
Scope: NF NXS 3.5-15x50 MLR
Bipod: TRG
Sling: TAB
Rear Bag: TAB
Mat: TAB

Kakaduthunder

#22 Postby Kakaduthunder » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:43 pm

Daj
With a 15 power scope you will never have a problem being fixed at that power so your scope is a great compromise. 15 power is a bit light on when the ranges get out there a bit on small targets but that might only be one stage in a 2 day comp.

SunnyCoast 5r

#23 Postby SunnyCoast 5r » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:50 pm

So are there many stages where you have to use the scope for ranging (calculating distance)?
Or is it just best to have a ffp for holdover?
Btw thanks for answering my newbie questions.

willow

#24 Postby willow » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:56 pm

SunnyCoast 5r wrote:So are there many stages where you have to use the scope for ranging (calculating distance)?

Not for the Sydney/Canberra shoots, guys know the distance they are shooting at but some won't dial for wind, they'll just hold - whatever works for them. I can't speak for other states as to what range freedoms/restrictions are placed on them. If the rifle is only going to be used for the practical/tactical shoots then FFP would be the way I would go.

Kakaduthunder

#25 Postby Kakaduthunder » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:07 pm

It is rare to have to use the recticle for ranging in a prs match. They are known distances but there are lots of different distances in one stage. The recticle is used for holdovers. Some stages we shoot you are not allowed to touch your turrets as part of the course of fire but most stages you just don’t really have time.

daj

#26 Postby daj » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:10 pm

SunnyCoast 5r wrote:So are there many stages where you have to use the scope for ranging (calculating distance)?

In the few UKD comps I've shot in, there has not been time to mil the range. It was a matter of swag the range, say somewhere between 400 and 500, spot your POI if you miss then hold the correction using your reticle. You don't need ffp for that. I understand some comps allow laser rangefinders and, at least in the states, some ranges require shooters to mil the range.

Kakaduthunder

#27 Postby Kakaduthunder » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:28 pm

Here comes a shamesless plug. This was last year’s two day shoot. The Nightforce Practical Rifle challenge. This will give you an idea of some of the courses of fire. 35 shooters $15000 worth of sponsor ship giveaways including and accuracy international AX to the winner of the door prize.
https://youtu.be/cBwG_opyew4
We are running it again this year (3rd year) on the 18th and 19th of August and it will be bigger again.

Redhawk

#28 Postby Redhawk » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:04 pm

Cool video ! Looks like heaps of fun!

SunnyCoast 5r

#29 Postby SunnyCoast 5r » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:55 pm

Hmmmm...Darwin is it...will we be able to sight in on the Friday? How many rounds do you need for the 2 days?

Kakaduthunder

#30 Postby Kakaduthunder » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:57 am

Yes Friday is allocated for practice. Camping at the range if you want. You can store your rifle in the armoury if you feel safer. 200 rounds is roughly what you need for the match. We are currently working on the sponsors for this year so arn’t sure on what the door prize will be yet or who will get the naming rights. The boys normally organise some fishing or a trip to one of the national parks for the Monday for those who want to make a little holiday of it. Weather is good in August.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”