AUSTRALIAN FCWC TEAM SELECTION

Results, photos of recent events, plan future events, let people know where you'll be competing.

Moderator: Mod

John T

AUSTRALIAN FCWC TEAM SELECTION

#1 Postby John T » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:46 pm

Dear F Class competitors.

The decision to select Rod Mahon as Captain of the Australian FTR Team for the 2021 FCWC at Bloemfontein must be the easiest decision any NRAA Board has ever made. Rod shot in the Team that finished 4th at Raton and Captained the Team to Silver at Connaught.

Congratulations Rod.

In stark contrast, the decision of the old NRAA Board to select Dennis Shallis as Captain of the F Open Team for 2021 is dumbfounding. Not because Dennis was selected. Rather, that the incumbent GOLD MEDAL winning Captain at Connaught, Craig McGowan, was not!

This unbelievable blunder by the old NRAA Board needs to be scrutinised and overturned immediately by the new Board; before more, irreparable harm is done to the Australian F Open Team, the only light that shines for the NRAA.

Regards,
John Tracey.

scott/r

Re: AUSTRALIAN FCWC TEAM SELECTION

#2 Postby scott/r » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:23 pm

Wouldn't it make you look like a fool if Dennis turns out to be a better captain than Craig could ever dream of being. Obviously, he must have some good qualities to be picked as captain, not that he will get a chance to prove them. Especially if you get your way.
This is with no disrespect to Craig what so ever.
Scott.

jasmay

#3 Postby jasmay » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:03 am

scott/r wrote:Wouldn't it make you look like a fool if Dennis turns out to be a better captain than Craig could ever dream of being. Obviously, he must have some good qualities to be picked as captain, not that he will get a chance to prove them. Especially if you get your way.
This is with no disrespect to Craig what so ever.
Scott.

With no disrespect to Craig, other than the total disrespect of this comment..

Johns comment is fair, Denis has a lot to live up to, and given that the previous captain of the gold team nominated one must wonder, I’m sure Denis will give it a good crack whilst being supported by a strong team with previous experience.

I’ve made my comment in another arena regarding FTR, and will make no comment.

Good luck to all involved, it will be another fantastic journey no doubt.

ben_g

#4 Postby ben_g » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:36 am

Having the privilege to be a firer in the winning NSW F-open team last year at Lower Light with Dennis as the captain I whole heartedly wish him and the rest of the team the best of luck in South Africa. I am confident they will represent Australia very well!!!

We should be throwing support behind our team not appearing to undermine it!

Walt

#5 Postby Walt » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:54 am

It all comes down to the official and established protocols for the selection process. If they're deficient so is the integrity of the whole process. Is there a published protocol?

bobeager

#6 Postby bobeager » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:47 am

Somewhat reluctant to add this, but for the people who may not know Dennis well

He has been an F Open shooter for 20 years
He has more than 1 Queens F Open #1 badges to his credit
He has been in the NSW F Open State Team since its formation in 2010
He has been Captain of the NSW State F Open Team, in 2014(very close 2nd), 2015(National Champions), 2017 (National Champions)
He has been the Captain of the Illawarra DRA Team, and NSW Country F Open team on numerous occasions
He has recently retired and I would expect that he has the time to devote his full attention to the Task.

I for one, wish him and the team "good hunting" in SA.

GSells

#7 Postby GSells » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:31 pm

ben_g wrote:Having the privilege to be a firer in the winning NSW F-open team last year at Lower Light with Dennis as the captain I whole heartedly wish him and the rest of the team the best of luck in South Africa. I am confident they will represent Australia very well!!!

We should be throwing support behind our team not appearing to undermine it!

Totally agree. Den will have a different style , to Craig . And again I'll remind the ney sayers of Den's successfull track record !
2 National championships and 1 international event just recently ! I have no problems with Den as Captain. Having served under him beginning of this year .

The job will be hard enough , with all of us second guessing him . We need to move on with the decision and get behind our FO Captian .

Matt P

#8 Postby Matt P » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:15 pm

Walt wrote:It all comes down to the official and established protocols for the selection process. If they're deficient so is the integrity of the whole process. Is there a published protocol?

There is no protocol, but I'm sure it's just one of many things on a long list, that the new Board will address.

Without potentially insulting anyone, I think it was extremely poor form by the outgoing board not to choose the incumbent Captain in one discipline and not the other. Craig had a proven record at International level which is a long way from "State Teams". If I was to compare State Teams to the FCWC, I'd say the State Teams is a Saturday arvo practice, MAYBE !! A single coach/team is so different to a 2 coach/team set up.
Anyway good luck to all involved.
Matt P

Tim L

#9 Postby Tim L » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:41 pm

I don't agree that either decision is as straiggt foward as the OP suggests. I feel there are a few names for each spot that have the ability to captain the respective teams effectively. That said, there is a tried and tested addage that goes allong the lines of, if it ain't broke, don't fix it and if a double gold at world championships isn't an example of "It ain't broke" i don't know what is.
Dennis has a great track record and given the support that any captain needs (neither Craig nor Rod did it alone) I'm sure he is capable of achieving great things.
All the best to both Captains.

John T

#10 Postby John T » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:15 am

There is a rumour that a little birdie claims that, while flying low and slow over a Furphy water tank, it heard murmurings that sounded like "..a palace coup..", "..who was supposed to tell Craig?", "..Board rubber-stamped coup decision..".

The Captain is dead. Long live the Captain.

A shabby shame.

Regards,
John T.

williada

#11 Postby williada » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:53 am

This sport needs bottom up reform if it is to survive as a numbers game given the competing ends in our society. That is the big picture. That is building numbers up from a club level and gaining political support in the community as a sport.

To me this should be the theme that runs through all national decisions including the national teams selection process because it can affect public perception and that of members. If the selection process has been unwise and sullied our reputation with a perception of being unjustified, irrespective of the candidates the remedial action needs to be swift if good sense is to prevail. You have to ask yourself what is lacking in the process to ensure fairness in the public eye? Does it need a set of written guidelines for selectors to follow? If there is a conflict of interest, then those making decisions should not be part of the decision-making.

The National representatives of the country like cricket have a dual role, one is to perform to the best of their ability and the other is to cement our standing in the domestic and international community. They are solemn responsibilities. Ask yourself what is most important for the long run in the public eye? Winning at all costs? What we do must be with the utmost integrity. Our good name and our efficient and effective function in public depends upon our reputation and the public purse.

We do not know the reason's for a change of leadership in the National FO team, but what I do recognize is the political reality of community view from whom we draw ultimate support i.e. transparency is expected. What message is sent when a winning leader is changed? People will naturally ask why? In the corporate world there is, "3 Strikes and your out" for directors. The community has low tolerance for unjustified leadership change or public display of disharmony like scrapping seagulls over a bit of bread.

It's simply a strategic reality now. Foreshadowed "Whistle- blower" legislation gives the clear message that public interest has a right to be heard. Decisions have to be wise with a weather eye on the future, because this is a free speech democracy and the issues have now been raised on a public forum. This is all the more reason why a set of protocols need to be adopted and followed to protect the integrity of the Board too because on face value we would normally accept they would act in the best interests of the sport. I would like to think so, but the bar of scrutiny is being raised by community expectation.

There might be different views expressed here, however there is a heavy price to pay for support by important networks who perceive a lack of exemplary conduct may reflect upon their standing. I would not be inclined to make judgement based on hearsay. I know from personal experience when successfully negotiating non closure of rifle ranges on behalf of the VRA with the Minister of Defence in the transition to state governance, some years ago, we must always come with "clean hands". From a team perspective, disharmony gives the opposition an advantage. Disunity is death. The shooters do not need the added burden to get their minds into the zone when time is fast running down before SA.

ShaneG

#12 Postby ShaneG » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:56 pm

I doubt there were any individual team members reports filed with the NRAA after the conclusion of the last FCWC.
There should be a report from each team member with every positive and negative requiring attention for the next team to build upon.
Those reports should be part of the consideration of the board for the appointment of Captain; Coaches and shooters!

Tim L

#13 Postby Tim L » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:21 pm

ShaneG wrote:I doubt there were any individual team members reports filed with the NRAA after the conclusion of the last FCWC.
There should be a report from each team member with every positive and negative requiring attention for the next team to build upon.
Those reports should be part of the consideration of the board for the appointment of Captain; Coaches and shooters!

100% agreed Shane. Critical reviews are a necessary part of the improvement process.
Captans reports are required for our State teams. Is there an NRAA requirement for similar?

williada

#14 Postby williada » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:40 am

Tim, I take the liberty to say they were when I was involved with Project Penumbra, that the Australian Captain's report was very informative and was normal practice in TR. I also reported to the Board in person and took the liberty to express the shame I felt to mention effectiveness of selection procedures in light of my professional experience in the field and how that contrasted sharply with my observation and interaction with participants over a couple of years, the lack of harmony between key personnel and some team members and lobbying, vying for position which was a reality. The team was also split and billeted between army and civilian members in England. An independent, interactive psychological analysis was never performed to determine suitability for selection IMO. That team was beaten before it left the shores of this country. A few volunteers, Herb McRorie, Ray Parker and Max Hedges plus self provided hundreds of hours supporting that team with research and development and hand sorting 16,000 rounds; and felt very let down by the lack of team discipline and performance. To us a team of champions was not going to be a champion team but what did we know as bread and butter supporting members of our movement who were all too often taken for granted. Team members should be there to serve the country as a matter of honour before themselves and align with team goals.

It was a breath of fresh air when the following team performed so well. I would like to think professional standards have been in place since then. Any number of participants have the required skill level, but if there is no cement the building falls apart over in the longer run. A leader inspires the group and a manager gets the job done. Presently, I think there is a danger we can get too bogged down in trying to manage for performance by managing for crisis now the horse has bolted. Understanding where your group is at is important for setting direction. Strategic leaders realize that in forming a group there is going to be a storming period. That is group dynamics at work. Once the dust settles as agreed, norms and benchmarks can be established and monitored for performance in a feedback loop as Shane suggests for future consideration.

The British model used to select the captain, then the captain selected the team. That model has been very successful for them. In Australia the risk of cronyism and nepotism is real, so IMO an independent set of guidelines would be more appropriate in terms of our national character which enshrines a fair go.

AlanF

#15 Postby AlanF » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:46 am

Personally I don't think the performance of the Captain in an Australian F-Class team is a major determinant of success, particularly at World Championship level where there has always been a good amount of life experience and management ability across the team membership. If you select team members with the required ability, and willingness to do their best for the team, then you're very unlikely to falter. Maybe with a younger age profile, a strong leader is necessary, but in our case, not so much?

Return to “Events”