Tikka T3 actions for F class standard

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Longranger

Tikka T3 actions for F class standard

#1 Postby Longranger » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:34 am

How do these actions perform with say a 30" Bartlein custom barrel and a suitable stock?

The standard rifles are exceptional. Has anyone done an F class build on one of these actions? I know there is some compromise with a magazine in terms of action rigidity but they appear well made.

willow

Re: Tikka T3 actions for F class standard

#2 Postby willow » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:41 pm

I have previously used a Tikka T3 in F-open - custom stock sourced and tidied up by Matt Paroz - I think the blanks are made by Ken Noye in Victoria. Anyway, the limitation, or the main limitation in F-open was that I could not hang a truck axle off it - Matt did not recommend it due to the nature of the action, so I hung a 30" HV profile Brux barrel off it and had no problems at all. If your intention is to use it in F-standard then that's less of an issue as the weight limit would keep you away from a truck axle barrel in any event. Matt had made up a plastic magazine follower and just glued it to the bottom of the action which worked perfectly fine and the other addition I ran with it was a Bix'n'Andy trigger which was exceptional. I've still got the stock sitting at home in near perfect condition, it's a lefty but if anyone wants it, I'm happy to let it go as my Tikka action will be dropped into a Manners PRS stock next month.

Brad Y

#3 Postby Brad Y » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:38 pm

I’ve just built an ftr rifle on a left hand t3 action. Nice light action which saves weight. Same as willow, just used plastic follower but I set mine into my stock. Though I have hung a 1.130” straight for 30 inches bartlein off it. Seems to be working very well, will know more after this weekend when I test it at 800m over the labradar.

UL1700

#4 Postby UL1700 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:46 am

There are plenty of Tikka Actions out and about performing well but the reality is that they are a lightweight hunting action. To put it in some form of perspective, my Barnard P actions are almost half the weight of my fully built Tikka T3x hunter in 223 and cost twice as much. A target action will allow you to hang heavier barrels, running hotter loads and with increased accuracy. Whilst a Barnard is a big investment, if you find your Tikka isn't performing at the level you require than you end up with a stock and rail that are no longer of use to you, and a barrel that is at best is going to lose a few inches and gain a new chamber or at worst be another part used barrel on the 2nd hand market. When I started in F class I was in the fortunate position of having a bit of spare cash, new what I wanted to achieve so could justify going the whole hog. Right now if I had a Tikka action sitting in the safe, I would probably give it a burn if just starting out in F Standard...

!Peter!

#5 Postby !Peter! » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:13 am

Good points UL1700!

I happen to have my CG inch apart and a T3 out of it's stock. You can really see the difference between a dedicated target action and a light hunting action. The picatinny rail on the T3 makes it look much heftier than it really is.

Brad Y

#6 Postby Brad Y » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:49 am

I’ve gone from trued Remington, to a pierce temp clone, then full stainless lbrp multiflat, then Barnard and now back to tikka. Only due to being an adult apprentice and money is tight. In all honesty I could run a hv on the tikka which might be less weight, but this rifle balances out really nice with the parallel barrel and extra weight up close to the limit means recoil down. 200’s are a dream to shoot in it. Still have weight for a tuner too. If you look back to the SA teams event, I believe a very prominent FO personality was using a tikka in the NQ ftr team and did very well. The actions are good!

bruce moulds

#7 Postby bruce moulds » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:08 pm

at least tikka is front locking.
is the inch?
bruce.
"SUCH IS LIFE" Edward Kelly 11 nov 1880
http://youtu.be/YRaRCCZjdTM

Longranger

#8 Postby Longranger » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:16 pm

The Inch is rear locking. This is not a handicap in any way, mine works well. The CG Inch has a robust tenon design which you could nearly hang an Abrams tank barrel off!

The T3 action in stainless is light but rigid for a hunting action. I figure for an F Standard rifle it may work really well.

Thanks for feedback. I'm contemplating a build on one in 223 for the wife at some stage.

UL1700

#9 Postby UL1700 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:26 pm

Longranger wrote:Thanks for feedback. I'm contemplating a build on one in 223 for the wife at some stage.

Nice one, I built the wife a 6BR, became a Dasher, cost me a fortune and now she kicks my butt every week we get to shoot other than a little upset at Rosedale the other week #-o

!Peter!

#10 Postby !Peter! » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:38 pm

Longranger, the pictured T3 is a 1/8 twist 223. The throat has plenty of length for the heavies. With no load development and PMC brass I was getting about 1/2 moa waterline with 75gr amax using a Harris bipod on a concrete bench the other day.

Longranger

#11 Postby Longranger » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:52 pm

!Peter! wrote:Longranger, the pictured T3 is a 1/8 twist 223. The throat has plenty of length for the heavies. With no load development and PMC brass I was getting about 1/2 moa waterline with 75gr amax using a Harris bipod on a concrete bench the other day.

Nice. I have a .223 T3 Tikka Supervarmint which has 1 in 8" barrel and it is outstanding with 80gn Amax's. Almost a shame to put a 30" barrel on it but it would really suffer at longer ranges. It intrigues me how well these things shoot in stock form.

!Peter!

#12 Postby !Peter! » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:59 pm

Just don't look at the bore with a borescope!!

Longranger

#13 Postby Longranger » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:28 pm

Now you really have got me curious! I did borescope a T3 Supervarmint in 308 win and it actually looked pretty good. I was however, horrified when I scoped a '76 vintage 12 groove Brno Model 2! The thing does shoot well, proving looks can be deceiving.

ShaneG

#14 Postby ShaneG » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:03 pm

Brad Y wrote:I’ve gone from trued Remington, to a pierce temp clone, then full stainless lbrp multiflat, then Barnard and now back to tikka. Only due to being an adult apprentice and money is tight. In all honesty I could run a hv on the tikka which might be less weight, but this rifle balances out really nice with the parallel barrel and extra weight up close to the limit means recoil down. 200’s are a dream to shoot in it. Still have weight for a tuner too. If you look back to the SA teams event, I believe a very prominent FO personality was using a tikka in the NQ ftr team and did very well. The actions are good!

Brad, the barrel on that T3 is one in a 100!
I sold it early last year and watched the owner at 1000 yards at Atherton the Sunday before Xmas.
I was scoring the other target but could see both in my spotting scope!
The 4 shots I saw were ruler flat with 185 Juggs.
It has a Krieger 30" 1/10 heavy Palma on it - we didn't want to go heavier or longer on that action.
I also own 2 x 223 T3 Varmint and a 204 Varmint T3 personally - all are genuine 1/4 moa rifles.
Factory action; stocks and barrels.
Most accurate factory rifle / barrel available out of the box in my opinion! When fed good ammo!

Return to “Equipment & Technical”