Handicapping

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

Walt

Handicapping

#1 Postby Walt » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:48 am

In related topic to that of E Class Budget F Class, the subject came up about tyro shooters being dissuaded by the high cost of gear and being competitively discouraged by not being able to compete on a level playing field. It seems to me that a ready tool is available to encourage further participation from novice shooters without them being discouraged by affordability / skills issues. The SSR's provide for a handicapping system but does any club actually still use this provision?

Level entry participants must be given time to grow that interest by encouraging further participation and not walking away from what surely must present to them as an untenable environment. Its got to be apparent to all and sundry that the membership is bleeding and little if anything seems to be being done to arrest the decline.

It must also be apparent that the problem is far deeper than mere participation. More members means greater utilisation of the ranges, more cash flow and a better lobby base to protect their interests. How many ranges have closed in the last decade through external imposed restrictions that could not be challenged through sheer lack of resources that a larger membership could deliver. And the problem is getting worse, not better.

Ostriches, take note!

benculton

Re: Handicapping

#2 Postby benculton » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:31 am

Colac rifle club that I'm a newer member to (I'm also new to shooting as well) uses the handicap system for all of their weekly club shoots.

bruce moulds

#3 Postby bruce moulds » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:21 pm

our club does, and has such a good system that f open, fstd, ftr, tr, and black powder can all compete against each other.
it really seems to bond the club, and a lot of fun comes from it.
bruce.
"SUCH IS LIFE" Edward Kelly 11 nov 1880
http://youtu.be/YRaRCCZjdTM

Ben F

#4 Postby Ben F » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:07 pm

Lithgow has a handicap system for Saturday shoots and I think it works very well.
TR, FSA, FSB and FO all compete, very inclusive and good to see.

bobeager

#5 Postby bobeager » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:41 pm

Ditto for Goulburn. Makes Saturday shoot fun for all. All classes level. The "hot shots" can then test their skill at interclub and Opm Shoots.

Return to “General Forum”