Trigger questions

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Gyro

Re: Trigger questions

#16 Postby Gyro » Tue May 14, 2019 7:30 am

Maybe just a touch of say GA50 on that sear/triggershoe edge u can see thru that hole. Check with the Barnard guys.

KHGS

#17 Postby KHGS » Tue May 14, 2019 8:36 am

I recommend CLP Break Free, in my opinion the very best trigger lube available. Clean triggers with Super Cheap Auto aerosol degreaser, blow out with an air hose. Saturate the trigger with Break Free, let drain off on a paper towel then wipe the trigger with a soft lint free cloth & install.
Keith H.

GSells

#18 Postby GSells » Tue May 14, 2019 10:18 am

scott/r wrote:Novice trigger cleaner question, after soaking the trigger (barnard) in shellite and drying, do you lubricate it and what with if you do.
Scott.

Hi Mate ! I don’t know about a Barnard . But with a jewel the manufacturer says that the lighter fluid or shelite has lubricating qualities already.

Bigtravoz

#19 Postby Bigtravoz » Tue May 14, 2019 6:49 pm

Well while we are discussing different lubrications what about dry glide silicone lube?

Gyro

#20 Postby Gyro » Wed May 15, 2019 3:59 pm

Bigtravoz wrote:Well while we are discussing different lubrications what about dry glide silicone lube?

Just look at the pivot points and how they r positioned and u will see the forces at play within the Jewell trigger are very small. Hence that trigger is particularly sensitive to grit/grime.

Hence NO lube.

Bigtravoz

#21 Postby Bigtravoz » Wed May 15, 2019 5:36 pm

Gyro wrote:
Bigtravoz wrote:Well while we are discussing different lubrications what about dry glide silicone lube?

Just look at the pivot points and how they r positioned and u will see the forces at play within the Jewell trigger are very small. Hence that trigger is particularly sensitive to grit/grime.

Hence NO lube.

That’s the exact reason I use dry glide on sensitive joysticks in dusty conditions it’s a completely dry lubricant that doesn’t attract or hold dust. It provides excellent lubricant properties and would leave less of a dust attracting residue than Shellite or other petroleum based products would. Maybe Keith Hills could provide more knowledge about this.

bruce moulds

#22 Postby bruce moulds » Wed May 15, 2019 9:41 pm

I have used jewell triggers on a m70 win and Dakota 76 actioned hunting rifles for over 20 yrs, as well as an fclass rifle.
all I have ever done is give them a yearly squirt with shellite.
never missed a beat.
those first 2 have been in all sorts of conditions and not often loved.
interestingly they were made when arnie jewell was the man, and I ordered them from him personally on the phone and he posted them to me.
how things have changed!
we forget how much dust and stuff blows round rifle ranges too.
bruce.
"SUCH IS LIFE" Edward Kelly 11 nov 1880
http://youtu.be/YRaRCCZjdTM

Frank Green

#23 Postby Frank Green » Thu May 16, 2019 2:29 am

Trigger Tech triggers have become very popular for some of the shooting disciplines over here over the course of the last couple of years.

https://triggertech.com/products/diamond

Gyro

#24 Postby Gyro » Thu May 16, 2019 5:57 am

Frank Green wrote:Trigger Tech triggers have become very popular for some of the shooting disciplines over here over the course of the last couple of years.

Looks good Frank. I like the way the shoe is uncluttered with an adjustment screw hole like the Jewell which gives ya lots more room to cut the shoe off and tig-weld another one back on in an ergonomically perfect place for ya ( like my 3 Jewells ) Don't tell the guys at Triggertech tho haha.

Frank Green

#25 Postby Frank Green » Thu May 16, 2019 6:35 am

Gyro wrote:
Frank Green wrote:Trigger Tech triggers have become very popular for some of the shooting disciplines over here over the course of the last couple of years.

Looks good Frank. I like the way the shoe is uncluttered with an adjustment screw hole like the Jewell which gives ya lots more room to cut the shoe off and tig-weld another one back on in an ergonomically perfect place for ya ( like my 3 Jewells ) Don't tell the guys at Triggertech tho haha.

They make more than one trigger. The link is just to the Diamond trigger.

Mums the word buddy!

Bigtravoz

#26 Postby Bigtravoz » Thu May 16, 2019 5:21 pm

Frank Green wrote:
Gyro wrote:

They make more than one trigger. The link is just to the Diamond trigger.

Mums the word buddy!

I had actually considered the TriggerTech diamond . For what I plan to do I think the jewell will shine if it lives up to its reputation.

Bigtravoz

#27 Postby Bigtravoz » Tue May 21, 2019 6:05 pm

So my jewell arrived today, took about a minute and a half to fit, and I swear it was custom built for the action, the result would give most people a woody. Very impressive!

pjifl

#28 Postby pjifl » Tue May 21, 2019 6:57 pm

I really do not understand most of the criticism of the Jewell trigger.

I run three of them and hardly ever 'maintain' them and they have kept working flawlessly. One must go back 15 years at least.

That is not to say that there may be others now just as good. Maybe even better.

The main problem with the Jewell Trigger is that it is overpriced within Australia.

Just one thing on triggers. I am not interested in any trigger that cannot be adjusted without dismantling a rifle. Drill access holes in critical places in the trigger guard. You may never need them - but I have seen too much panic on the mound to 'fix' a touchy trigger on the mound.

Peter Smith.

Bigtravoz

#29 Postby Bigtravoz » Tue May 21, 2019 7:43 pm

pjifl wrote:I really do not understand most of the criticism of the Jewell trigger.

I run three of them and hardly ever 'maintain' them and they have kept working flawlessly. One must go back 15 years at least.

That is not to say that there may be others now just as good. Maybe even better.

The main problem with the Jewell Trigger is that it is overpriced within Australia.

Just one thing on triggers. I am not interested in any trigger that cannot be adjusted without dismantling a rifle. Drill access holes in critical places in the trigger guard. You may never need them - but I have seen too much panic on the mound to 'fix' a touchy trigger on the mound.

Peter Smith.

This is my first and it’s given me and the guys who saw it today chubbies! I will buy one again when the need arises.

Bigtravoz

#30 Postby Bigtravoz » Tue May 21, 2019 7:52 pm

Honestly Peter smith I had originally planned to buy a timney 501 t tactical benchrest, but cleavers put the price up from $269 to $359, and I looked at it and thought “well for that price I will see what else is available.” I got onto Geoff Grenfell through his website and found the jewell was $428 with postage, I hunted pricing on other equivalent triggers, the Shilen was a little cheaper, the timney 502 was slightly more expensive and the Calvin elite was more expensive again and didn’t go as light as I wanted. So to what you are saying about price, yes we are getting ripped off, but no more on a jewell than any of the other ones.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”