Defective factory rounds

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

scott/r

Defective factory rounds

#1 Postby scott/r » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:04 pm

Hey everyone, just a heads up to run an eye over the factory rounds that are coming onto your range. We are having a few issues with some deformed cases that are coming out of the boxes of factory stuff some of our Sporter Class shooters are bringing. Most of the ones I've seen up here are winchester stuff with split necks and major folds in the shoulder area of the case. Two of the five that I saw yesterday were a fold in the brass on the neck that bad there was no way you could have even chambered it, thankfully. And the other was the base of the case was that deformed, I'm not sure how the primer was staying in the case. Not even enough brass around it to get a head stamp on it. Thankfully the young bloke saw it before chambering it. I don't beleive it would have ended well.
I'm not sure if Winchester are just flogging off all the shit they had in the 2nds bin now they are leaving, or if we're just lucky up here and end up with all of ones that make it through QA, but we seem to be getting our fare share of crap. I'd hate to see someone get hurt because of a dud round coming out of a shop bought box of ammo.
Scott.

cheech

Re: Defective factory rounds

#2 Postby cheech » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:03 pm

Not good Scott,

What in particular caliber/cartridges are they ? As I’ve noticed a bit of Winchester 223 ammo on sale

scott/r

#3 Postby scott/r » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:03 am

cheech wrote:Not good Scott,

What in particular caliber/cartridges are they ? As I’ve noticed a bit of Winchester 223 ammo on sale

Yeh, there's been a few 223 and 308 rounds, but Saturday was 22-250. We did have a couple 243 and even a 6.5 creedmore late last year. So it seems it's pretty much accross the board.
Scott

UL1700

#4 Postby UL1700 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:23 am

Maybe a silly question but are these definitely new rounds? My experience has been that when people 1st reload, they keep their spent rounds in the box they came in and then when they 1st reload they reuse the existing packaging. They are then often worried about admitting that they loaded them especially when things go wrong. Bent necks are a common 1st timer problem with poorly set up dies (check out Australian Reloading Talk & Trade on FB, www.facebook.com/groups/1442388839331951 for multiple examples) but I have never seen or come across anyone complaining about rounds being delivered like this from the factory.

scott/r

#5 Postby scott/r » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:44 am

Yeah, fare call, that could be the case with a few. But the folds and splits in the brass that we have been seeing are along the the necks and shoulders , not across. I did have a good look at most of the ones we have had, and normally you would see some sort of tooling marks on the neck. Non of the ones I've seen have any sign of any kind to suggest that they were reloaded. And the 22-250 with the deformed base was a steel case, so not able to be reloaded.
Anyway, just keep an eye out guys. Last thing any of our ranges need is some getting hurt threw no fault of their own.
Scott.

oldman1967

#6 Postby oldman1967 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:40 pm

It's not only loaded rounds from Winchester. I ordered 200 new Winchester cases in .243 from a well known Queensland gun shop about 12 months ago and around 15 had vertical creases and splits in the neck as Scott has described.

XCALIBRE

#7 Postby XCALIBRE » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:10 pm

I sent a heads /up to Lapua in Sweden when I bought 0ne box each of 6.5 and 6mm. and found two projectiles each that were badly misformed in manufacture with excessive expanded shoulders. I just wanted them to know that perhaps there was a faulty die in projectile forming that possibly could turn the projectile inside out upon firing. I made no complaint, just to let them know what could be coming down the track and gave the recorded box numbers and projectiles for their reference. They really took this on board. The subsequent action was one of thanking me by email and they posted 1,000 projectiles of each calibre as a reward and recovered the faulty batches that had been sent to Australia. The Australian agent was very pissed off that they had been sent direct to me and not him! I think Lapua are very decent people and stand by their quality control.
F TROOP, SHOOTING F CLASS.

lonerider43

#8 Postby lonerider43 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:39 pm

we had a few wini factory round that failed to fire last weekend.[308] but its not the first time.

i had a similar thing xcal,but with a piece of metal in a bottle of jim beam.i think i still have the check they sent somewhere here. :D
Australian's Against "Gun-A-Phobia"

Return to “Equipment & Technical”