Beginner Info for TR

If you shoot full-bore, then you're welcome to use this forum to discuss your sport.

Moderator: Mod

Weairy

Beginner Info for TR

#1 Postby Weairy » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:56 pm

Hi all,

Bit backwards on this forum, but I figure plenty of people here started in TR so you’ll be a wealth of information.

I am going to transition to TR from F class this season. Problem is, after two seasons of shooting everything F Class (Open, then FTR and now STD), I haven’t learned very much technique at all for TR.

Can anyone recommend some reading material as a good start for a “beginners guide to everything TR”?

I’ve been through some literature with regards to setting myself and the rifle up (length of pull, sling mount location etc) and I’m reasonably happy with my stability and comfort, but I haven’t a clue if ewhat I’m doing is correct, or even if I’m holding the sling the right way.

Any advice, pointers or recommendations for things to read on the subject would be appreciated
Josh Weaire
Nagambie R.C.
I'm not Craig, if you want to contact him, email on c.weaire@bigpond.com

Rich4

Re: Beginner Info for TR

#2 Postby Rich4 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:27 am

I too would like any advice etc, I’m currently wanting to give TR a try without boots and all cost so technique is everything, I’ve shot with a sling all my life but not a target sling, I have found some good PDFs online which are great, A guide to better scores by Paul Carberry seemed good, a PDF is available on the Natives Rifle Club website, also The Rifle Shooter by David Tubb, geared towards XTC though

scott/r

#3 Postby scott/r » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:36 am

If you're holding the sling at all you're going to have trouble. You really need to have the sling hold you. Think of your 2 elbows as a bipod with the sling taking the weight of your rifle.
Your next biggest factor is your natual point of aim. Get yourself in position, where you are comfortable and you believe that you can shoot your string of rounds. Now, close your eyes and completely relax. Then without moving anything, open your eyes and see were your point of aim is now. If you're still on target, you're good to go, but if you aren't, you'll end up man handling the rifle to the proper point of aim and that's not good. If you are left or right, move you're left leg like a rudder on a boat. Sounds weird, but you'll understand once you give it a go. If you are low, which most people are when starting out, you'll probably have to adjust your sling accordingly. If you are way low, as in "off target", you'll more than likely have to move your handstop back. And the other way if you are high. If you find that you need to adjust your position during your string of shots, you have more than likely not got the right position in the first place. Advising on your position on the forum without seeing it isn't going to help anyone. Sight picture is a whole different story. James Corbett's website has a good read on this in the download section on the main page. Be warned it's very technical in places.
Hope this helps a little.

Rich4

#4 Postby Rich4 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:38 am

Thanks Scott, I’ve read conflicting information on handstops, it seems to me to be a waste of time unless your against the stop, I’ve also heard that it can induce vertical? I’ll be starting at home without a proper glove or coat, are they more for support or comfort? Thanks Rich

Weairy

#5 Postby Weairy » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:43 pm

Rich4 wrote:Thanks Scott, I’ve read conflicting information on handstops, it seems to me to be a waste of time unless your against the stop, I’ve also heard that it can induce vertical? I’ll be starting at home without a proper glove or coat, are they more for support or comfort? Thanks Rich

I noticed this in the abovementioned document on the Natives website, that the bloke talks about hand-stops doing more harm than good. From most accounts I've heard though, they give an improvement. It gives you a repetitive position to return your hand to each time. I could be wrong though. I think it's one of those personal preference items. Personally, mine came with a handstop type sling mount and I'll be using it.
Josh Weaire
Nagambie R.C.

scott/r

#6 Postby scott/r » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:38 pm

Guys, the jackets are total support in my opinion. They help immensely with repetition of position and sling placement on your arm, which you need to try and keep off your bicep muscle. Having the sling around your bicep, I have found induces heart beat or pulse through your sights. Which is one of the reasons why we use the glove or mit. It also helps reduce heart beat as well as comfort for your hand strapped between the stock, sling and hand stop. The only time I've had any trouble with my hand stop is when I had my length of pull a bit short and the hand stop was smacking my knuckle when I fired each shot. As far as causing vertical shots, I've never had or seen anything to support this theory, but I've never heard that before, so I wasn't looking either. I do use the hand stop for repeating my position each time. It's the first thing I do when I'm getting into position, I jam my hand up against it and position my sling accordingly each and every time. It's something I was told to do right from the start by a few different people who's shooting I hold in very high regard .
I personally wouldn't want to have a go at t/r without a jacket or glove to be honest with you. It don't believe that will be happy with the comfort or your results.

lonerider43

#7 Postby lonerider43 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:14 pm

if your a small build i did have a size 40 [abouts] brand new TR jacket for sale.
Australian's Against "Gun-A-Phobia"

Rich4

#8 Postby Rich4 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:31 pm

I wish I was, it would make buying clothes a lot cheaper, which would leave more for the important things, like ammunition :lol: , thanks Scott, I suspected as much, I might just try it first prior to that expense, the chance of finding one to try in my size is pretty minimal, I’ll just keep it in mind with results [-o<

Weairy

#9 Postby Weairy » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:48 pm

It’s a shame I just had my jacket turned down from a Big lad size to a little bit less big lad size, probably would have been perfect.
Jacket is pretty much a non-negotiable item; you just need one.
Josh Weaire
Nagambie R.C.

Weairy

#10 Postby Weairy » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:56 pm

So some info I found very useful for a starting position; pg16 of this http://www.natives.qldrifle.com/A%20Gui ... Scores.pdf

Probably the most well described way to start. I followed it word for word tonight and finally got a position that felt natural and comfortable, and more importantly repeatable. Good find Rich.
Josh Weaire
Nagambie R.C.

pjifl

#11 Postby pjifl » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:51 pm

It is a long time since I shot TR with a sling. Best not to jam hand hard against a hand stop.

Yes - open the front hand - aim - close eyes - and wriggle around and breath. After about 1/2 min open eyes and see where you are aiming.

Have someone place a small coin on the barrel and practice dry firing keeping it there.

In general, use a front ring a bit larger than what you like the look of. Similar with the rear peep. Beginners often think they will get more accuracy from smaller rings. It is an illusion and tires the eye more.

I am sure the info on the Natives web site will be useful but everyone is different so don't slavishly copy any one style.

scott/r

#12 Postby scott/r » Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:14 am

Weairy wrote:So some info I found very useful for a starting position; pg16 of this http://www.natives.qldrifle.com/A%20Gui ... Scores.pdf

Probably the most well described way to start. I followed it word for word tonight and finally got a position that felt natural and comfortable, and more importantly repeatable. Good find Rich.

There is some really good stuff in there. I wish I had of known about it when I changed from f class to t/r, it would have saved a lot of stuffing around and what seemed like stupid questions at the time. But as the book and Peter said above, we are all a bit different, so you'll need to change minor things here and there. Good luck with the change over to t/r, it's the best thing I ever did for my shooting.
Scott

!Peter!

#13 Postby !Peter! » Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:38 pm

The best beginner book I've seen is "Smallbore Rifle Shooting: A practical guide" by Christopher Fenning. What I like about this book is it has a lot of clear photo's showing correct and incorrect positions, and variations of positions.

If you want to get really serious with learning shooting from a sling, consider getting a Scatt as this will show very clearly any issues and provides data you can use to track progress.

Rich4

#14 Postby Rich4 » Sun May 31, 2020 11:34 am

Finally tried the coat and sling out today(thanks Pete fox) awesome, can’t believe how stable it is, however I’ll need to examine the glove situation my fingers are telling me

lonerider43

#15 Postby lonerider43 » Sun May 31, 2020 7:41 pm

fingerless,full finger or mitt ?
i use a fingerless and have no problems.
occasionally get bumped by the handstop,but the glove is well padded in that area.
Australian's Against "Gun-A-Phobia"

Return to “Full-bore/Target Rifle”