another discipline

We want to hear what your club is doing to bring in new members. Tell us what works, and give credit to those who are making the effort.

Moderator: Mod

Old Trev-39

Re: another discipline

#16 Postby Old Trev-39 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:52 pm

Rimfire F class would still be expensive. Top R/F rifles $3000 to 4000 dollars. Still have to put a scope on top. Ammunition $20 to $40 for a box of 50. No cheaper than C/F.
Cheers,
Trevor.

jasmay

#17 Postby jasmay » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:51 pm

Old Trev-39 wrote:Rimfire F class would still be expensive. Top R/F rifles $3000 to 4000 dollars. Still have to put a scope on top. Ammunition $20 to $40 for a box of 50. No cheaper than C/F.
Cheers,
Trevor.

Run a $ Limit.... it’s what other sports do.

Have 2 classes, open & restricted.

Open = Custom rifles

Restricted = Factory with a $5K limit ready to shoot.

Ammo is variable, some of the top rifles in Rimfire BR like cheap ammo, some like more expeno. Your in excess of $1 a shot in CF, and need all the loading gear to go with it. $1000+ for a top set of scales is just a start .

Rimfire is cheaper when considering overall equipment requirements.

Old Trev-39

#18 Postby Old Trev-39 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:02 pm

I do very well with my R.C.B.S. M1000 beam scales. Periodically check powder loads on a friends super doper scales and they are within a kernel of each other which means jack s---.
Cannot compare an Annie 2013 "factory rifle" with a Brno mod.2 also a "factory rifle.
Cheers,
Trevor.

ShaneG

#19 Postby ShaneG » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:35 am

I will make a big call here and say the 5 current Tikka T1X I have experienced would run with a 2013 for accuracy!
Even a custom stock on one will likely see you at half the price of the Anschutz!

daj

#20 Postby daj » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:14 pm

Paul,
As someone who joined an NRAA club twelve years ago, I learnt more about shooting in those few years than I ever did as a hunter over sixty years. During my club time I enjoyed shooting FStd, FO and FTR, and made many wonderful friends. When the NRAA added Hunter Class to the SSRs I thought "at last", a discipline more closely matched to my field shooting. However, under the SSRs, adopting new disciplines in full is optional, club to club, and as is their democratic right, my club voted against full implementation. ie no brakes, no mags, both being steps too far.
I now shoot what I like, how I like with the SSAA and hope to get a local LRP (Long Range Precision) comp up and running in the near future.
David

budget

#21 Postby budget » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:32 pm

daj wrote:Paul,
As someone who joined an NRAA club twelve years ago, I learnt more about shooting in those few years than I ever did as a hunter over sixty years. During my club time I enjoyed shooting FStd, FO and FTR, and made many wonderful friends. When the NRAA added Hunter Class to the SSRs I thought "at last", a discipline more closely matched to my field shooting. However, under the SSRs, adopting new disciplines in full is optional, club to club, and as is their democratic right, my club voted against full implementation. ie no brakes, no mags, both being steps too far.
I now shoot what I like, how I like with the SSAA and hope to get a local LRP (Long Range Precision) comp up and running in the near future.
David

hi david and thank you for your reply,
i wish you all the best with getting your precision comp under way.
i was trying hard to have some constructive input into my thoughts on a discipline that would both be challenging and relatively cheap to get into.obviously it would have to be tweaked somewhat,you just have to use some imagination.anyway it as usual was met with some distain and i feel it is now better left unsaid .
kind regards paul

bruce moulds

#22 Postby bruce moulds » Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:56 am

why do we keep thinking of new disciplines when the promotional arm of the nraa is doing such a good job of promoting current disciplines by professional means?
bruce.
"SUCH IS LIFE" Edward Kelly 11 nov 1880
http://youtu.be/YRaRCCZjdTM

Seddo

#23 Postby Seddo » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:12 pm

budget wrote:hi there,
i would like to ask a question and it is one that i don't understand why it has never been put forward.
with our struggling numbers, especially the drop off in f class shooters that don't seem to be attending big shoots in the numbers that they once did is it time for another discipline?
i can't understand why you haven't got a class that you use and shoot with exactly like you would in the army as a sniper. a rifle that weights around 6 kilo, a couple of calibres that will see you compete out to 1,000yds,a flip down harris by-pod with no mat and no rear bag.
would this not be something that would excite new members and be that challenging discipline that could bring new shooters in.
i think it would quickly become the premier class within your ranks,i imagine the skill you would need to be at the top would be something you would have to work very hard at.
just a thought,maybe,just maybe some people that have walked away from our sport need a little bit more of a challenge?
one thing is for sure target rifle (my discipline)is not going to save our sport we have to think what can we do to excite new members to f class.
regards paul

That would be PRS style shooting. NATO is 223 and 308 and OPEN is any calibre. You have to carry all the gear you wish to use from the car part to each mound. There isn't a rifle weight limit but keep in mind you have to carry it. In Victoria its shot at Castlemaine rifle club and another in western vic but I've only shot them at Castlemaine.
----------------------
Seddo

Moe City Rifle Club

Seddo

#24 Postby Seddo » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:15 pm

ShaneG wrote:
budget wrote:ok so i stated that you need to read my posts,clearly thats difficult,i stated that i am a target rifle shooter clearly in my first post!
secondly the only mistake i made that seems to have gotten you so upset was saying you use a fancy rest,i retract fancy and will call it just a rest. i was merely trying to explain between what i suggested and what you perceived as what i was saying.
surely a class where you could kit up for around 5 k and would be a huge challenge would be something that would be high on our list to help promote our sport,after all isn't that what every body always complaining about?
also posts like "how about rimfire f class" thats surely going to help the movement.
end of rant.
paul

I have competed at “rimfire F Class “ in the US and always thought it would be a fantastic addition here and my reasons below
1. Very challenging at 50 and 100 yards due to .22lr wind deflection on tiny targets
2. No RELOADING! My biggest time poor requirement!
3. Only need a rimfire 100 yard range to compete

Open your mind to possibilities and get behind a scope one day

I also wish to make 2 further important points for me

1. We NEVER in this day and age want to be associated with the term “ Sniper “ It will be used to shut us down in the near future
Minor point but current “ snipers” use rear bags - small , light but functional

We shoot 200m Rimfire in FLY shooting. We use the 500m target which has a scoring zone of around 12". I have shot out to 500y on f class targets but as they are subsonic you need manual targets and most of the time you have to radio to get the target turned. From a 50m zero its around 50-55moa to 300y and around 110moa at 500y.
----------------------

Seddo

Moe City Rifle Club

superx10

#25 Postby superx10 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:22 am

Hi
It does not have to be expensive with the 22 lr check Mark and Sam out 22lr out to 1000 yard looks like fun, just needs a dusty paddock to see the splash and good spotter, but in all reality, 300 yards and using the current targets would be fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcnunlqzjE8

AlanF

#26 Postby AlanF » Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:14 pm

I remember doing some calculations for an idea at our range which was to shoot 22s alongside F-Class and TR with a portable bulletcatcher at the next mound i.e. 100yds distance. I seem to remember that using standard smallbore ammo, the effect of wind at 100yds was about the same (in MOA) as a 284 at 700yds. If you're trying to emulate F-Class, wouldn't 100yds be enough? It has the advantage of being able to easily see the bullet holes, and could be done with miniature ICFRA targets 12 to an A4 sheet, one shot per target, so no need for immediate marking. Just collect the completed sheet as in smallbore. Our idea was to pitch the class towards beginners such as the kids of full members, but there would be no problem in putting an equipment price ceiling on that, and giving benchrest and smallbore sling shooters their own classes.

Return to “Helping F-Class to Grow”