New to target shooting

We want to hear what your club is doing to bring in new members. Tell us what works, and give credit to those who are making the effort.

Moderator: Mod

bobbyaxe

Re: New to target shooting

#16 Postby bobbyaxe » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:38 pm

I started with a factory Howa 6.5 creedmoor with a 24in barrel heavy varmint.

The most important thing I can recommend is to pay up for the scope. Either find a second hand Nightforce or Vortex, where you can get the lifetime warranty.

If you're going to shoot with a bipod - harris does a great version and if you get the swivel version, invest in a KMW podlock

Ammo - 6.5Cm seem to love 140grs - though every rifle is different - start with the American Gunner it's cheap - but also try out the Hornady ELD Match rounds.

Overall Howa's can shoot and will definitely allow you to keep up with most shooters.

You're only issue will be that everyone who doesn't have a creedmoor, thinks their dick is bigger than yours and needs to let you know about it.

Ryangunton1

#17 Postby Ryangunton1 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:39 pm

Thanks bobbyaxe I will definitely be spending more on my scope than gun at the moment and was going to jump straight in and reload with good quality brass I was thinking about the Hornady eld match projectiles as a starting point ???

bobbyaxe

#18 Postby bobbyaxe » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:02 pm

Hi Ryan,

Sorry for the delayed response, I was interstate.

The Hornady ELD Match 140grs are pretty damn good for the 6.5CM, most people get good results from them.

My current setup is still the 6.5CM Howa action with a 30in bartlien barrel, 1:8 twist

The load im currently using is as follows;

Brass: Peterson LRP - Normal Neck
Primers: 210M federals
Powder: RL16 - 40.1grs
Projectiles: Berger 140gr Target Hybrids
Muzzle Velocity is around 2850fps
If you get Peterson Brass the case capacity seems to be smaller and you'll find you have a lighter charge than say the norma or Hornady brass.

I'm about to start experimenting with the Sierra 150grs to see I can them to shoot, though could be difficult with the 1:8 Twist.

I've also used Norma brass and can attest to it being pretty reliable, but you'll need to work size it before the first load.

In my first season, I only used the Hornady brass that I had leftover from the factory ammo and that worked ok too.

If you have more questions let me know, happy to share what I've found that's worked for me.

Amac

#19 Postby Amac » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:32 am

Ryangunton1 wrote:Hi amac what sort off distance you shooting out off it if I may ask I would like to get out to 1000 yrd if that is viable

Hi Mate

You could comfortably shoot to 1000 yards with this set up. Sure it isn't going to hit 60's but with a good load and technique you will be hit reasonable scores and might even surprise yourself. Choose good components and understand the various nodes etc and I'm sure you'll get it humming along.

Return to “Helping F-Class to Grow”