New firearms restrictions in the NT

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

PeteFox

New firearms restrictions in the NT

#1 Postby PeteFox » Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:35 am

I found this new article yesterday on the SSAA website.
https://www.ssaa.org.au/?ss_news=visito ... rm-tactics

Apparently the regulations have changed and visitors carrying firearms and ammo into the NT now have some new restrictions placed on them.
Can't buy ammo (don't care) and must be under supervision (what does that mean?), are there other restrictions?, firearm security?

I'm interested to get some feedback as to how this is going to impact getting into the NT to shoot the Kings in June, staying afterwards and touring around (firearms in tow) and staying legal.
I'm not looking to have an argument with NT police.
Is this a dealbreaker for the Kings?

Pete

saum2

Re: New firearms restrictions in the NT

#2 Postby saum2 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:20 am

I've got this back from NTRA.

If you are attending an authorised competition (our comps are now authorised) you may bring your firearm/s that you are going to use plus ammunition for the comp.
You cannot buy ammo without getting basically a permit which recognises your state licence for I think up to 3 mths, this allows you to buy ammunition. Same applies if you
want to come here to hunt.
Apart from a competition you can bring a firearm into the NT without a permit for up to 3 mths but you can't bring ammo unless you get the reciprocal rights permit.
I don't think there is even a form (as yet) you just email the Police Commissioner ( firearmsregistry@pfes.nt.gov.au). If you want info from the horse's mouth then contact this email as well.

The legislation is not new just some smart arse decided that the cops are not enforcing the antiquated ACT.

Cheers

Rich4

#3 Postby Rich4 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:50 am

:x

Drop shot

#4 Postby Drop shot » Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:20 pm

Rich4 wrote::x

"The legislation is not new just some smart arse decided that the cops are not enforcing the antiquated ACT."

This is the problem. It was poorly written at it's origin. Then someone has got excited. It needs to be addressed because it's, well, stupid and achieves nothing. But by the letter of the law, the current interpretation is correct.

Write letters to NT Govt my dudes. Only way to get it overturned.

PeteFox

#5 Postby PeteFox » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:27 pm

The answer is in the attachment
Pete
NTRA ammo.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MarkS

#6 Postby MarkS » Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:58 am

They are not new restrictions.
Requirements were clearly listed when we were prepping last year for interstate travel to a Darwin match.
Going broke one primer at a time

Return to “General Forum”