bisley event

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

bruce moulds

bisley event

#1 Postby bruce moulds » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:57 am

last sat murray bridge rifle club held a prize shoot which included a bisley event.
I did not qualify to enter the event, so had a great opportunity to observe.
the thing that really struck me was the rhythm of shooting. with the 45 second max time per shot, a steady rhythm was maintained, possibly no slower, and possibly faster than sometimes when string shooting.
talking to a competitor later, his main comment was that as soon as the next shooter fired and the target disappeared he had to retain in his mind the fall of his previous shot, as the target for him to shoot on had someone else's spotting disc in it.
I thought bisley woulg give the edge to high speed high bc guns like the saum, but it was won by a 6mm.
some guys shot as soon as the target reappeared, wile others took a little more time to think.
we have a lot to learn regarding tactics and techniques in this style of competition before Canada, and only doing it will help.
the burgeoning long range fclass movement in sa is working towards running 4 palma ranges matches per year scored bisley style, which should be of great interest to anyone contemplating the trip to Canada, as well as those interested in exploring a commonly used method of shooting fclass in the world.
keep safe,
bruce.
"SUCH IS LIFE" Edward Kelly 11 nov 1880
http://youtu.be/YRaRCCZjdTM

AlanF

#2 Postby AlanF » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:18 pm

Very good to hear that SA has started the ball rolling with Bisley style F-Class. It needs to happen all over if we're to be competitive in some overseas events.

bruce moulds

#3 Postby bruce moulds » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:27 pm

alan,
the mbrc event was for the crème de la creme of the prize shoot to qualify.
no surprise that I was watching.
this is a prestige event.
what the long range guys do will pertain to international shooting a lot.
keep safe,
bruce.
"SUCH IS LIFE" Edward Kelly 11 nov 1880

http://youtu.be/YRaRCCZjdTM

bsouthernau

#4 Postby bsouthernau » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:46 am

Do we know if Canada will be Bisley-style pairs or triples? Of the two I much prefer triples - much more efficient use of time.

Barry

AlanF

#5 Postby AlanF » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:15 am

Barry,

Unfortunately your view is not shared by those running it. See answer to the second question in this interview : http://www.7mm.com.au/road-2017/.

Alan

Southcape

#6 Postby Southcape » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:30 pm

I have just returned from my third tour on South Africa where they shoot bisley style.

You use plot sheets to keep track of your own shots. Making note of your last windage and elevations.

Using this information, and trying to "guess" what the shooter next to you would be putting on the scope really has you thinking all the time.

It is a very fair way to shoot. I actually enjoy it more than string shooting.
Linda

bsouthernau

#7 Postby bsouthernau » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:52 pm

AlanF wrote:Barry,

Unfortunately your view is not shared by those running it. See answer to the second question in this interview : http://www.7mm.com.au/road-2017/.

Alan

Obviously. "everything in our power to avoid three to a mound". I can't understand it. In triples the next to shoot concentrates on nothing but where their last shot went and what's happened since then. The one who has just shot does the scoring. In pairs you have your scoring duties included in the 45 (or whatever) seconds you have from when the target comes up. No brainer in my view. Oh well.....

Return to “General Forum”