NRAA F-Class Rankings

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

AlanF

NRAA F-Class Rankings

#1 Postby AlanF » Tue May 29, 2007 12:58 pm

As indicated a few weeks back, the NRAA now has a national ranking system for F-Std on the NRAA website. As you will see there are a number of F-Open shooters in the F-Std list - I have contacted the NRAA webmaster Geoff Roberts about that, so please don't inundate him with complaints! I advised him to look at our own Queens results page, at least to get the first 3 placegetters as a check.

I've also asked him to reconsider the points system used. The way it is will mean that points won for a F-Std Queens win (20) will be completely gone in 16 months, whereas for A-Grade they last 43 months. I've suggested that F-Std points could be awarded 50 for the Queens winner, 45 for second, 40 for third and so on. Similarly for leadups 30 for the winner etc.

I believe F-Open will be done as well, with perhaps just the top 5 counting.

Regardless of the teething problems, I think its a good idea. In order to get high up on the ladder, you need to travel. So hopefully it may prompt more shooters to travel interstate to Queens shoots, and that is definitely good for the sport.

Alan

Triplejim

#2 Postby Triplejim » Tue May 29, 2007 3:41 pm

all done, thanks James

Lynn Otto

#3 Postby Lynn Otto » Tue May 29, 2007 4:38 pm

Bother, I'm a has been already, obviously winning a Queens wasn't enough to get me on the list at all. :lol:

And you're right Alan, all the SA shooters on that list are Open shooters. :-k Not a Std shooter to be seen :shock:

Lynn

AlanF

#4 Postby AlanF » Tue May 29, 2007 5:50 pm

You haven't looked on the Open list Lynn - there you are!

You know what caused the problem don't you? Because SA F-Std has been making continual noises about shooting on the Open target, they've granted your wish!

I'll get back to Geoff. He seems very approachable and will fix it quickly I'm sure.

Alan :)

Lynn Otto

#5 Postby Lynn Otto » Tue May 29, 2007 5:58 pm

I found me there too Alan, when I went looking, I was just having some fun. In fact it appears like the names are almost reversed except I think Darren C is on both lists, very verstile of him. Mind you I probably shouldn't complain about being No. 5 on the Open list, wishful thinking of course. :D

Lynn

Simon C

#6 Postby Simon C » Tue May 29, 2007 6:42 pm

mmmm...I'm listed under Individual F-Open but I have only competed in Std. I've only just built an Open rifle recently!

Cheers,

Simon Campanella
"Aim small, miss small"

Simon

Lynn Otto

#7 Postby Lynn Otto » Tue May 29, 2007 6:51 pm

Maybe someone was pre-emting you Simon, we should give them some time to sort things out, it's a start. :D

Simon C

#8 Postby Simon C » Tue May 29, 2007 7:16 pm

I agree...its not a big deal.

Std is still my 1st love though!
"Aim small, miss small"

Simon

AlanF

#9 Postby AlanF » Tue May 29, 2007 10:04 pm

Here is what I think are the correct rankings for F-Open, based on the NRAA formula. I have sent this to Geoff Roberts, along with a list of the obvious discrepancies I can see in his lists. I don't have sufficient data to do the same for F-Std.

Lynn Otto

#10 Postby Lynn Otto » Tue May 29, 2007 10:57 pm

Alan,
I'm not sure how you have worked your numbers, I don't get the same. Plus, if I am seeing correctly it seems that a Queens win in Open will only get you 43 points whereas in Std it will get you 50 points, can someone please explain why this is so, a little perplexing to say the least. :?: :shock:

AlanF

#11 Postby AlanF » Wed May 30, 2007 2:21 pm

Lynn,

Regarding your disagreement with my figures, not sure whether you noticed but there are several relevant Queens and leadups that are currently missing from the F-Open figures on the NRAA site e.g. there is nothing from either WARA or NTRA, and also 2006 Queens for both NSW and Vic are missing. There may be others missing - I didn't check thoroughly.

I did my figures from the ozfclass.com results pages, plus a few Queens 4th and 5th places as required scrounged from elsewhere. I also rounded the points diminution calcs to the nearest month, rather than day. Hopefully, as corrections are made to the NRAA figures, the two different ranking lists will become identical.

Regarding the 40 points vs 50 for a Queens win, I did suggest 50, but they went with 40. But the points relativity between the different categories isn't important in my opinion.

Alan

Lynn Otto

#12 Postby Lynn Otto » Wed May 30, 2007 8:21 pm

Hi Alan

I certainly did notice that there were results missing, the most obvious being WA, I didn't look all that closely for the others.

You're right that relative to other shooters in Open, it's not that important, but what about relative to other classes, as an outright ranking the Open points should be comparable to FB or Std. It strikes me as being a deliberate de-valuing of Open competitors, if you're at the top of your class it should be of equal value as the top of any other class. For example, Mick and I both won the Queens here last year, my win was worth 50 points, his was only worth 40, I can tell you he worked a damn sight harder for his win so why is it worth less, why are Open shooters of less value. So while we both had the same achievment we can't compare our ranking points. And with the use of the same decay valuation they drop of the list that much faster.

I could make some choice comments on why the NRAA may be treating our Open shooters in such a disrespectful way but am prepared to give them time to sort things out. It would be nice to think they value all their members equally, not treat some as second class citizens. :evil:

Lynn

AlanF

#13 Postby AlanF » Wed May 30, 2007 8:39 pm

Lynn Otto wrote:...And with the use of the same decay valuation they drop of the list that much faster...

This was the main reason I asked for changes. Originally F-std was only 20 for the winner (including bonus). If you think F-open should have 50 also, how about YOU E-mail Geoff Roberts (politely of course :D ). He's probably getting sick of me!

Alan

Lynn Otto

#14 Postby Lynn Otto » Wed May 30, 2007 9:07 pm

Me, polite, is that possible. :lol:

ger

NRAA F-class Rankings

#15 Postby ger » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:18 pm

I conducted tonight an audit of all the F-class results I have available from January 2005. I am basically missing all from WARA and those from VRA are not coherent. I can normalise the VRA results (maybe tomorrow) for 2005/2006 but 2007 F-Std pose a problem because of the grading split. The WARA divisional system causes a similar dilemma. I am still thinking about how I'm going to resolve this - and it applies to WARA TR as well.

I have F-class results for NQRA 2007 but not 2005 or 2006. There are reasons for this that don't need to be explained here, but please do not assume that any deficiencies in F-class rankings are because I or the NRAA are not interested. In fact, please don't make any assumptions at all.

I have decided to keep the F-class rankings visible on the NRAA website even though they are somewhat skewed at the moment. Please bear with me. I will try to obtain the results I am missing and hopefully shortly after the upcoming NRAA Queens, I'll have rankings on an even keel.

Geoff Roberts
NRAA Webmaster.

Return to “General Forum”