Importing accessories

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

bigricky

Importing accessories

#1 Postby bigricky » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:13 pm

Hi, what are the rules for importing rings,bases, antin canting devices ?
Can you just purchase hem online from the US without the import permit ?

AlanF

#2 Postby AlanF » Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:14 pm

Shouldn't be a problem from Sinclair - they are usually pretty discrete with their description of contents. I've heard that tactical type scopes are a problem nowadays, but scope accessories surely not.

Alan

johnk

#3 Postby johnk » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:23 am

Alan,

After reading Midways & a few others, it appeares that the general concensus from US exporters now is that if it attaches to the rifle as an aiming device or to facilitate an aiming device, it can't be shipped without a permit or won't be shipped at all. Sinclair is a particular worry as they say that, if I read them right, that they will apply for your permit for you & charge your account.

I would recommend that Aussie purchasers make preliminary enquiries before ordering.

John

AlanF

#4 Postby AlanF » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:45 am

Hmmm. I need to get out more. Times are changing. What this will hopefully mean is that Australian dealers will hold a wider range of stock - I'm not averse to paying the going rate from dealers if their service is prompt.

Alan

Dave P

#5 Postby Dave P » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:15 pm

Just call Peter Van Muers at Pro Cal Trading (03) 5281 1380 if he doesnt have what you need I would be greatly suprised. Further Pete will get it for you if he can or point you to the right place to aquire .. If we are going to keep suppliers here in Australia we need to support them and Peter will give faultless service and he supports our shooting as well.

flem100

#6 Postby flem100 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:42 am

Hello all,

I have had some recent experince importing from the US before the dollar took a deep dive.

I had no issues at all getting a S&B Mil Dot Scope, Anti Cant devices, EOTech 533, picatinny rails and rings etc into Australia. While there are some companies in the US that take ITAR controls to mean anything to do with a rifle, other companies have a more liberal approach. I suggest to shop around as there certainly are companies that will ship to Australia and have ITAR lics to do so.

Product that did present some difficulty in getting in were from Surefire and Magpul.

What exactly are you looking for and maybe I can suggest a source to get them from.

Regards

Ben

Den243

Importing of Rifle Parts etc.

#7 Postby Den243 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:52 pm

Dear All,

An update on this issue, late last year Australia signed a new aggreeement with the US regarding the import/export of all firearm parts, including cases.

You can view the import requirements at:http:

//www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=4369#e1057 (please cut and paste on your broswer).

The good news is that normally only a B709A form will be required. Naturally depending on what is is you want to import the company will have to meet their own countries export rules as well.

Regards

Dennis
Den 243

chappo555

importing

#8 Postby chappo555 » Thu May 28, 2009 12:31 am

After searching most of the big US dealers most appear to have mis interpreted their own US legislation or AUS is such a small market that they are not interested in dealing with us direct when there is approved importers.

The good news is graf and sons will export no worries all optics and optics parts except Gen 3 night vision equipment.

I confirmed this with them via email earlier this year.

try
www.grafs.com

Yes I do agree we should support aussie suppliers and am happy to pay an extra 4 or 500 dollars on a 2k rifle but scopes appear to be double the price over here. A Weaver T36 is $US410 dollars and over here it is $AUS 919. Even with the Aussie dollar at .79 US cents it is still a big mark up. I have had scopes posted from the US before and it costs less than 50 bucks for postage.

Hope this helps.
chappo555
"only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col Townsend Whelen

RAVEN

#9 Postby RAVEN » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Yes I do agree we should support aussie suppliers and am happy to pay an extra 4 or 500 dollars on a 2k rifle but scopes appear to be double the price over here. A Weaver T36 is $US410 dollars and over here it is $AUS 919. Even with the Aussie dollar at .79 US cents it is still a big mark up. I have had scopes posted from the US before and it costs less than 50 bucks for postage.

That Y Blue bazooka got shut down from sending a particular brand of scope to Australia by the Australian distributor the distributor didn’t want any competition.

Iggy

#10 Postby Iggy » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:00 pm

Currently waiting on an order from the States.

I talked with the Customs people at the SHOT show who seemed to be very relaxed about what paperwork was required. As long as you are not trying to bring in a complete firearm in multiple orders or major working parts they gave the impression that there should not be any trouble. VIC LSB however wanted a B709A so that is what I filled out.

Faxed a B709A on a Thursday to VIC LSB & received the paperwork back the following Monday. You need to ask for a 'Certified true copy for US export purposes". I made an additional certified true copy for my records & included the original paperwork with my order with a note to "Please send these forms with the parts when they are despatched".

The parcel should be here shortly :D
Iggy
Maffra VIC

RDavies

#11 Postby RDavies » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:54 pm

How about export companies who will ship projectiles out of USA? I wanted to bring in some super light 20 and 25gn .22 cal projectiles as well as some more 14 cal pills to have a play with but the company (JRP custom bullets) doesnt have an export permit. Does anyone know of any intermediaries in USA who we can ship projectiles to in USA, who will then send them to us?

Surgeon

NSW Registry update requirement on Imports 9/2009

#12 Postby Surgeon » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:13 pm

CHANGES TO IMPORT REQUIREMENTS
Some countries exporting firearms and parts to Australia (such as USA, South Africa and England) require certification from the importing country that the items will be accepted before they release or grant export licences. Current procedure is for the Firearms Registry to produce a ‘certified copy’ of the B709 together with the original, with the copy being forward to the exporting country. Australian Customs has informed us that this practice is to stop.

Any person importing firearms and parts from countries requiring this certification must now make application to the Department of Defence for an International Import Certificate (IIC).

This is not permission to import - a B709 is still required by Australian Customs. The IIC is the authorisation that is to be issued to other countries instead of the ‘certified copy’ of the B709.

There is no fee for an IIC - further information and application forms can be accessed from the internet - http://www.defence.gov.au/strategy/deco/import.htm or phone 1800 661066.

Please understand that this is not a decision made by the Firearms Registry - a B709 certificate is an Australian Customs form issued by the State authority (Firearms Registry) to ascertain if controlled items (firearms and parts, etc.) can be possessed legally in NSW.

I have spoken to the Department of Defence liaison and there does not appear to be anything too difficult in completing or obtaining the IIC. Two issues I clarified were - The ABN and the CCID (Customs Clearance ID) numbers are only required if you have them, and the declaration that the goods ‘….will not be diverted, transhipped, or re-exported to another destination without explicit approval from the Department of Defence….’ means that a Department of Defence Export Permit will be required, which is standard practice anyway.

AND PLEASE ALLOW 14 DAYS FOR PROCESSING B709 APPLICATIONS

RDavies

#13 Postby RDavies » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:02 pm

Thanks for the heads up Surgeon.
I was about to send a rifle bolt back to USA for some work in a few days, but I might need to chase up extra paperwork. I didnt want it to be stuck in some customs warehouse for 2 years waiting for paperowrk arguments.
Can you tell me what paperwork I will need to get the rifle bolt into the USA in the first place?

Surgeon

#14 Postby Surgeon » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:38 am

Rod , I'm not sure what paperwork is required to send an item back to the USA if any ,but you will need a B709 & IIC to get it back into Oz ..
The other possibility is get the work done in Australia to start with ,
because thats what is going to happen !
The USA president is anti towards us and it will be difficult to get anything
from there in the future .

Maybe there is an allowance on warranty returns ..

Hope this helps

Congrats on the NSW Queens good shooting ..

Ps: Remember this law only applies to NSW at the moment !

VickiMcc

#15 Postby VickiMcc » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:55 am

Youve got to get an export permit from dept of defense in Canberra along with all the other stuff. Call Canberra 1st as things change frequently.They will tell you what you need to do

Paul McC

Return to “General Forum”