New Benchrest World Record for 10 shots A 1000yds

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

RDavies

#16 Postby RDavies » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:24 am

Looking at these 1000yd rifles, they can definitley be considered the formula 1 or top fuel of shooting sports. I love to look at them but not many of us can offord to build one to use only occaisionaly. Keep the pics of these big rigs coming though.
I would still guess that the gun would only be half the battle in 1000 yd. The shooter who set the record obviously spent a lot of time and effort in practice and tuning. Good on him.

AlanF

#17 Postby AlanF » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:00 am

I think Joel's story highlights one of the main differences between F-Class and BR. Many top BR shooters are machinists who do a large part of their own building and smithing. Because of that, outright accuracy of their equipment is what they seem to strive for most. Whereas your average F-Classer justs wants a rifle that will shoot well enough to win if he's good enough at all the other things. And I include F-Open in that - F-Open just requires a slightly more accurate rifle than F-Std to be competitive, because the maximum scoring ring is smaller.

Alan

a.JR

#18 Postby a.JR » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:09 am

Rod, There are special times where shooters get to load test at HR..It is done in the early hours of the morning in the dark at the best time of the year ..The owner has weather stations mounted up at various areas that send info to the benchs(not avail during a reg match),when the place goes to a hush ,they test .. Joel P and his buddy Charles E think of stuff that might work ,build it ,then are lucky enough to be able to test at 1000yds.. To find out which barrels and bullets are worth the effort is not an easy task ..There are still competitors from around the world that don't think FLAT..JR..pic of my unflat Heavy GunImage

agro

#19 Postby agro » Fri May 08, 2009 8:18 pm

An excellent performance >>>>> removed <<<<<<.

agro
Last edited by agro on Mon May 11, 2009 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dave P

#20 Postby Dave P » Mon May 11, 2009 12:09 am

Wheres the rail gun ?????

A rail gun is a return to battery set up and has nothing to do with Long Range BR at all. In fact rail guns are basically only used to my knowledge in short range BR (100 and 200) and even then only in unlimited class (so basically only against other rail guns)

agro

#21 Postby agro » Mon May 11, 2009 8:04 pm

Dave P,
Thanks for the correction.
I should have said, "that outfit is in another ballpark".

cheers.

a.JR

Re: New Benchrest World Record for 10 shots A 1000yds

#22 Postby a.JR » Mon May 11, 2009 8:50 pm

It is in fact nearly perfect for IT'S ballpark, as evidenced by the world record .. It is not ever been a requirement that it should suit any of the other forms of rifle competition .. a place for everything and everything in it's place i say ,it may not be F class but the 1000yd benchrest comp is in the NRAA rule book after all ..JR..Jeff Rogers
agro wrote:Dave P,
Thanks for the correction.
I should have said, "that outfit is in another ballpark".

cheers.

Return to “General Forum”