shooting together and the Super V

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

kend

shooting together and the Super V

#1 Postby kend » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:52 am

At our picnic shoot on Saturday The Wodonga Rifle Club trialled using the Super V target centres downloaded from the SA Rifle Association website.
The markers scored them for all classes of shooting using a white spotter for the super v, red for V, white for 5 and red for the rest.
We use the wand system for indicating the value so we used a white wand in front of the aiming mark for the super v while the rest were indicated as usual.
On the cards the super v was scored as an X in all classes, including target rifle.
In F open and F standard the central as scored as a 6, giving both the perfect score of 60.10.
Having the same scoring system for all classes meant we only had to make one lot of targets.
It also meant scorers were not confused by different scoring systems.
This meant everyone shot together – eliminating the “us and them” mentality I see creeping into our sport.
While the X score for target rifle shooters means nothing to their end score it does give shooters an idea about how they are grouping.
And the most super v's shot over the thee ranges (700, 900 and 900) was 13 by the winner of the target rifle division, John McDiarmid who shot 150.23. The top score in F open as Wayne MacFarlane's 174.8 and in F standard Phil Jonker shot 175.9. The most super v's shot in F class was 12 by Bruce Kneebone who entered F standard on Saturday (those last 2 shots at 900 hurt, Bruce!).
My view is the system worked a treat.
As I have said it means less work making targets which has to be a bonus for the few of us left to do this work.
It also keeps us all together which should be encouraged. At the moment F standard and target rifle shoot side by side with F Open left on the outer. While I have noticed some F open shooters like to left to their own devices I reckon the more we mix together the more we will all come to realise we really do have so much in common.
I will watch developments on this issue with some interest
kend

AlanF

#2 Postby AlanF » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:54 am

Ken,

Thanks for the report and your assessment. Once upon a time there seemed to be a fear that the TR shooters might be made to look bad if the F-Classes shot on the same target. Now the fear might come from the F-Classes shooters!

Regarding squadding of F-Open, for OPMs I believe that is the way to go, but for the moment at least, at Queens shoots there is a strong preference amongst the F-Open shooters to be squadded on our own. I think its mainly come about because that's what we've been forced to do up till now, and we've become used to it, and now look forward to it in that format. In fact I know some who would see it as a major setback if we were split up at Queens. This may well change, but at present I think it should remain as is at Queens, or it could have a negative affect on F-Open entry numbers, which apart from WA are actually growing.

Alan

John E

#3 Postby John E » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:22 pm

Well done, Wodonga, and congratulations to all the winners.

John

RobH

#4 Postby RobH » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:23 pm

At Junee at the weekend we tried the Super V with a mixed group of TR and F Class shooters. Used the downloaded stick ons from the SA F Class ass. For scoring we used the Match Rifle system. Green spotter for Super V - red spotter for Centre Bull - green spotter for Bull - red spotter for Inner - green spotter for Magpie - red spotter for outer. No wand or disc markers used. This speeds up scoring as you don't have to wait for the wand to appear and makes life easier for the pit crew. TR was scored 50.10 as normal and F Class scored 60.10. No hassels of any sort emerged and the unaminious vote was to continue using this system.
RobH

Return to “General Forum”