Need firearm registration advice.

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

CodeBasher

Need firearm registration advice.

#1 Postby CodeBasher » Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:36 pm

My A+B licence arrived on the 30th (only a six week wait , wow) and now I have a conundrum regarding upcoming PTA's for my first two firearms.

There are two firearms I will be taking possession of.

1) An unlicensed elderly relative wishes to gift me a 70yr old bolt action rifle he has stored away (still in good shape) that he hasn't used in over 35 years and is currently unregistered. Hence now that I'm licensed I can take it off his hands and get it legally registered through a local gunsmith/broker who will obviously hold it until PTA etc has been fully processed.

2) I also have a brand new target rifle paid for held at a club retail shop until I receive my licence and it's PTA process is started and completed.

Rifle (1) I can get this under way first thing Monday morning (4th Jan)
Rifle (2) Can't proceed until the 14th Jan when the shop re-opens.

Now in QLD it's a long wait for the one's first PTA as a range of checks have to be made by WLB I believe.

So here are my questions.

a) Can I submit a PTA for (1) on the 4th and then (2) on the 14th? Will that cause problems, delays or any red flags.

b) Is it really wise to register (1) first as it has obviously been acquired by less than completely normal circumstances. After all even I thought all those old forgotten unregistered fire arms would have surfaced before now.

c) Should I wait until the 14th, register (2) first, wait for the PTA to complete (6-8 weeks), then acquire the second firearm after full possession of (1) has completed. I believe subsequent PTA's then take a relatively short time as they are pretty much rubber stamped after a persons first one is out of the way.

Any advise is deeply appreciated. Thanks

johnk

#2 Postby johnk » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:12 pm

I suggest that you contact somebody at the QRA office (Rex Wigney or Greg Rush) when they open again to obtain hard advice & not heresay.

I suspect that you would be far better off going for the kosher rifle first, but that's just my opinion. I believe that QRA could likewise assist in regularising the second firearm for you, & you only have to wait until they reopen on Monday.

John

Triplejim

Re: Need firearm registration advice.

#3 Postby Triplejim » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:20 am

CodeBasher wrote:My A+B licence arrived on the 30th
There are two firearms I will be taking possession of.

1) a 70yr old bolt action rifle currently unregistered.
2) a brand new target rifle

The unregistered rifle has to be registered with a dealer before you can apply for a permit. Unknown owner, deceased estate.....hand it in to Greg Rush at QRA who handles the permits when the office is open for business Mon 04th Jan, JC

CodeBasher

#4 Postby CodeBasher » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:48 am

Thanks guys, I'll do that.

Much appreciated

CodeBasher

#5 Postby CodeBasher » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:37 pm

Oh well twas all a moot issue after all as the Mauser was a no-go, Greg had a look at it and recommended the rifle be bolted or scrapped.

Oh well, good thing it didn't cost me anything. :)

Return to “General Forum”