The NRAA

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

littlebang556

administration

#16 Postby littlebang556 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:30 am

Cheers for the vote of confidence in the website www.yarlooprc.webs.com
A free website with just a couple of hours per week effort for a sport I can see a future for.

I would tend to disagree that any efforts to attract more interest in the sport will not build on administration nationally.
The larger our sport gets the more chance there is of having people within the administration paid on a direct relationship to performance.
If the grass has no roots it will die and everything above it will also perish through lack of water.
I do agree that the states and individual clubs should have influence and responsibility but we do need a controling regulatory body that has its finger on the nations pulse.
It is our job to ensure that pulse is not week, it must keep beating.
Lets push the barriers of change...A war is not won by "a" General but by the Army that believes in its General.

Regards

Rob

timothi3197

Re: administration

#17 Postby timothi3197 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:41 am

littlebang556 wrote:Cheers for the vote of confidence in the website www.yarlooprc.webs.com
A free website with just a couple of hours per week effort for a sport I can see a future for.

I would tend to disagree that any efforts to attract more interest in the sport will not build on administration nationally.
The larger our sport gets the more chance there is of having people within the administration paid on a direct relationship to performance.
If the grass has no roots it will die and everything above it will also perish through lack of water.
Regards

Rob

No, no , no Rob, you have misread my post, I think the important work on building the sport is done at the grass roots level and the national admin does very little to boost membership or represent us. The national administration should only be a skeleton.

If a local club is healthy and growing it is directly due to its members efforts.

Tim

littlebang556

Misread Comment

#18 Postby littlebang556 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:32 am

Sorry Tim,

Your observations and comments are taken onboard with with appreciation.

Regards

Rob

littlebang556

Fees

#19 Postby littlebang556 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:58 am

As far as fees go, I am in full belief that we are undercharging by astronomical margins.

I have this problem even at club level.
Some believe that it is not the members that should be paying more.
I say...you get out what you put in...All efforts benefit.

As example...members in my club pay a misserable $6 range fees for half day shoot....Wish I could go elsewhere for just $6????

With the introduction of electronic targets to our range some even think fees could be reduced......Where is the future in that.....We must at least try to become business like in some way or another if we are to survive.

Without some form of income there will be little energy expelled to think of ways to improve individual ranges in such a way as to attract new members and retaining them.

I have not been to Belmont but have heard nothing but positive reports about the forward thinking processes they have incorporated. They are a role model.

So the States, Territories and National Associations have my vote for an increase in membership if it means that our sport is able to emerge from the dark ages...BUT some others may wish to see what is promised for value in their dollar before accepting.

A very positive future exists for our sport but it will not jump out of the bushes on its own...we need to scare the living shite out it and let it know we mean business.

Yes I am forward spoken...I call a spade a spade but would rather use a shovel. :wink:

Let us put aside our competitive minds once we leave the mound and even extend a helping hand to other clubs around us. I have in the past been guilty of slagging other clubs in an entirely gealous manner...dont let the "enemy" know what we are up to.....this mentality must stop.

Cheers

Rob

AlanF

#20 Postby AlanF » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:32 pm

Rob,

There is another revenue source for clubs which I believe is put in the too hard basket by many, but which can be spectacularly lucrative. I'm referring to Govt grants. From our experience there is a lot of sympathy for small struggling shooting clubs right now, maybe because shooters in general are often unfairly portrayed in the media. At Rosedale our range fees are only $5, and yet our capital expenditure over the last few years has been considerable - including water tank, fixed and portable shade structures, 16 alloy flag poles and quality flags, a new Savage F-Class rifle and the big one which was a mains power connection that ran into tens of thousands. I'd encourage clubs to try it - you might be very pleasantly surprised. BTW I should mention that the application process needs to be done well, and we are fortunate to have some members who really make an effort.

Alan

johnk

Re: Fees

#21 Postby johnk » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:51 pm

littlebang556 wrote:I have not been to Belmont but have heard nothing but positive reports about the forward thinking processes they have incorporated. They are a role model.

Rob,

One of the real positives of the QRA is that not only do they advise club when grants are available, but they assist them if necessary to obtain the most benefit from them. A year or two back, all the Belmont clubs were able to purchase sufficient high quality collapsible gazebos to have firing point covers & shelter behind the mound. It's all too easy when prevention of skin cancer is a Government priority - but somebody has to develop the comcept.

John

littlebang556

Income

#22 Postby littlebang556 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:24 pm

We have just been successful in a grant of just under $70k for electronic target upgrade which was made available to the Yarloop community only and if unable to source further funding from Royalties for Regions (for which we already have an application in place for about $150k) and/or Dept Sport & Recreation for lesser amount, we may even get more.

You are right in that there is much work to be done in lodging a successful application but it is the commitment that is required and follows what I am trying to reinforce.

The fact that some associations publish and/or help with applications is the caring sharing attitude that HAS to be adopted....If your club misses out because you told another then you have made a positive impact.

Love the angle on cancer prevention...This is a factor that must become part of our "Risk Assessment Stategy." Our sport is in the majority outdoors therefore members may be at risk.

Capital expenditure is one thing, but maintaining items paid for from such expenditure is a long term commitment that $5 or $6 dollars may not sustain.
I am amongst one of the least financial members within my own club and could still afford more........and want more.

The mains power is a plus Alan...we even went one step further in preparation for the future and ran it the full length of the range....If you do the math and work out power consumption (in watts) for possible use of such power one would be surprised at the cost effectiveness.

Some will only be able to take baby steps in the beginning but as the club/s grow the steps can become larger until we become the Giants we need to be to survive in such a competive world.

I would suggest that clubs start now by obtaining letters of support from all and sundry as most applications ask for these and believe me they can take some time to collect. The only one oustanding for our club is one from our under staffed NRAA that has been requested over 12 months ago.
Collect photo's of the range for before and after comparason..they love that stuff...If you have no pictures of the after yet draw something or include something similar to your goal.
Be clear about what you ask for and include a timeline of project be it complete or in stages.
Some grants will require a 1/3rd contribution or there abouts and money in the bank will assist that....quite often this will be enough for small projects only as larger applications will require larger co-contribution/s.
Form a committe within the club/association to deal with all this and be ready to help when asked....continue to brainstorm ideas and submit to committee.
We are also looking to purchase up to 3 Sactt systems for training of members and organisations other than ours.
Open your club rooms to other sports and organisations.
Invite the state team/s, schools, scouts, corporate bodies and even other volunteer groups to visit your range to fully utilise the facilities...you will find many didnt even know you existed.
Create fliers that you can distribute about the community and print out some business cards for member to hand out.
Start a newsletter for club members.
Post results on the internet and in newspapers.
There are a few ideas....dont just pick one or two...do them all....
Create a presence.

Go Hard.

Regards

Rob.

Regards

Rob
Last edited by littlebang556 on Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AlanF

#23 Postby AlanF » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:28 pm

ger wrote:I think everyone would agree that there has to be some kind of national governing body - for any sport and not just ours. In our case it's the NRAA (Ltd) - an organisation that is masquerading as some kind of company. I am not sure if it has any charter or in fact anything that specifically outlines what it's real role is (such as a Business Model/Plan). I think I might try to find out. I know it has a Constitution. I also know that the NRAA President has been working on a Strategic Plan but I haven't seen it yet - only one chapter that applies to me.

Geoff,

If you're able to obtain some older ATRs (2002) there is some good information on this. Starting at issue 37, and if you read in particular the "President's Desk", it will give you a reasonable description of what the NRAA is about.

Alan

littlebang556

Old ATR's

#24 Postby littlebang556 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:47 pm

Maybe someone can find these articles and email them to me and I could include them on www.yarlooprc.webs.com for reference.

Regards

Rob

Return to “General Forum”