Great Interview on SA F Class Site

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

flyshooter

Great Interview on SA F Class Site

#1 Postby flyshooter » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:07 am

Well done Ian,

your first celebrity interview sets a high standard.

find it here :

http://www.safclass.com/

Fly

AlanF

#2 Postby AlanF » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:51 pm

Nice one Ian. Bill was a great choice - highly respected for his contribution to shooting.

BTW, his reamer specs for no-turn 284 gave me a scare - mine was ordered with a .317 neck (Bill says .313). However I've just measured a loaded round and it comes to .314 (whew)! I'm wondering if Bill uses Norma brass and it is thinner?

Alan

IanP

#3 Postby IanP » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:29 pm

AlanF wrote:Nice one Ian. Bill was a great choice - highly respected for his contribution to shooting.

BTW, his reamer specs for no-turn 284 gave me a scare - mine was ordered with a .317 neck (Bill says .313). However I've just measured a loaded round and it comes to .314 (whew)! I'm wondering if Bill uses Norma brass and it is thinner?

Alan

I did not do much except ask the questions. Bill did a great job and shared some of the things he has done in his favorite sport.

Thanks Bill, you really put some time and thought into answering the 10 questions!

I did the same thing when I read the reamer specs and remeasured the neck thickness on my Lapua brass. I wanted only 0.003" clearance for my no neck turn reamer and mine is a PT&G with 0.317" neck.

Ian

bobeager

Interviw with Bill Shehane

#4 Postby bobeager » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:42 pm

I met Bill at Hawks Ridge at the year 2000 One Thousand Yard Benchrest Nationals.Heisone hell of a nice guy. I would recommend to anyone who is considering a visit to the US gown down "South" and visit,meet Bill and most of the other "luminaries"of the 1000 BR game. You can find the range on Google Earth - just to to Ferguson North Carolina and look "champions Road" - follow uo to a left turn into "Gladys Fork Road" and there it is -- a really big chicken ranch

IanP

#5 Postby IanP » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:48 am

Hi all,

I have updated the interview with Bill to correct the no neck turn diameter. It should be .318" for no neck turn and .313 for a tight neck requiring case neck turning!

I spoke to Bill and he emailed this reply...

"Ian

Guess that's what one gets when he's old and in a hurry to finish it before the middle of the month.
That is a typo on my part and it should be .318 for the no turn and a .313 takes a clean up pass on either Lapua or Norma brass. A lot of shooters are jumping anywhere from .313 to .315 but even at .315, .0003 is too tight and a pass on the cutter is necessary to get enough clearance. .My Norma brass will mike .0154 and if you mike the Berger 180's they will be .2843 and a loaded round of .3153 gives one just under .003 and works great. I don't think it makes any difference as long as everything is spot on with the turned necks. But I still prefer the no turn necks and have seen no advantage in fitting the tighter necks. In fact neck turning is a science that few shooters ever master. More brass is screwed up trying to get that last .0001 and it to me, is a waste of my time I could be shooting. And as good as this brass is today, I'll take mine as is.
Tell the Mates I'm sorry to have miss led them. Diane asked me the night I finished it up why I didn't let her proof all that before I sent it to you. I said I was in a hurry and you needed to get it on you sight soon. I told her it was fine. Next time I'll listen.

Thanks

Bill "

I gotta tell you Bill is one nice guy and thanks again to him for kick starting the Celebrity Shooter articles!

Ian

flyshooter

#6 Postby flyshooter » Fri May 14, 2010 7:50 am

Just read the second celebrity interview.

A lot closer to home, but still very interesting.

Youre setting yourself a high standard

Well done Ian!

IanP

#7 Postby IanP » Sat May 15, 2010 10:00 am

flyshooter wrote:Just read the second celebrity interview.

A lot closer to home, but still very interesting.

Youre setting yourself a high standard

Well done Ian!

Thanks Flyshooter!

Paul is a genuinely nice guy and always willing to show a fellow shooter how to improve their shooting. I'm looking forward to competing regularly with him at MBRC this year.

I am trying to have our Celebrity Shooters come form all long range shooting disciplines as well as local and international. I'm starting off with some local SA "hotshots" but will work my way all around Australia so long as I can find shooters who are willing to contribute to the series!

Ian

AlanF

#8 Postby AlanF » Sat May 15, 2010 5:41 pm

Ian can you provide a link to the second interview please - I can't find it on the website :roll: .

IanP

#9 Postby IanP » Sat May 15, 2010 6:35 pm

AlanF wrote:Ian can you provide a link to the second interview please - I can't find it on the website :roll: .

Its here: http://www.safclass.com.au/celebrity2.html

Ian

Return to “General Forum”